Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
THE PROMISE AND THE POWER
Apr 18, 1971 am
THERE ARE MANY GREAT AND PRECIOUS PROMISES OF GOD; ONE OF THE GREATEST IS THE POWER OF HOLY SPIRIT
- You would do well to read carefully the Book of Acts, and personally put to test each promise.
- Baptists are afraid of the Holy Spirit, but we worship and serve a trinity - mystery, but we believe.
- Jesus told apostles to wait for the promise of the Father - v.4b - Baptism of the Holy Ghost
There is much carnal service offered even in Churches today - Be spirit led and be blessed.
"WAIT THE PROMISE OF THE FATHER" - 4b
The burning excitement of the Risen Lord - Let's go conquer? NO - He said WAIT!
THE OLD TESTAMENT IS FULL OF THE DIVINE PROMISE OF GOD'S SPIRIT INDEWLLING MANKIND
- Joel 2:28 the promise of The Spirit on all flesh - and note v.32 - Salvation in the Name of the Lord!
- Isa 59:21 the promise of A Spirit, and Gentiles coming - 60:3 and all the world being blessed!
- But note v.20 - it is from Mt. Zion the promise is to come - SW corner of Jerusalem - The Upper Room!
ACTS SHOWS A FULFILLMENT OF THE PROMISES OF GOD, BUT THE APOSTLES MISUNDERSTOOD IT
- Jesus breathed on them (creation) John 20:22 - "Receive ye the Holy Ghost" -- ?? Don't be dogmatic!
- In Acts He said "Wait" - 1:4 - not many days v.5, power v.8 then it happened - 2:3,4 Church born?
- They were all Israelites and interpreted this as the power for the Kingdom of David!
THE HOLY SPIRIT DID A MIGHTY WORK, BUT BE NOT DECEIVED - THIS IS NOT THE FINAL FULFILMENT!
- Many were saved - but not all flesh - the nation rejected the message - scattered the Church
- The saved were changed - Peter! empowered; but soon after some learned how to lie - and died!
- The church was great - BUT experimented with Communism - filled with troubles - disobeyed - starved
The men of that New Age had great adventure - read Acts with your eyes open - the still had problems.
"YE SHALL RECEIVE POWER" - V.8a
We live in the age of vast power, and few who will USE IT! So we stand gazing at the world amuck.
JESUS PROMISED THE BAPTISM OF THE HOLY GHOST - V.5 - AND THAT NOT MANY DAYS HENCE
- He was to be a comforter - John 14:16 - to abide with us, fill our lonely hearts with a glow.
- He was to reprove - John 16:8-11, in the hearts of men He would be a Conscience - in spite of man.
- He was to guide us to All truth - John 16:13, in Jesus this covers a lot - I John 2:27 USE THIS POWER!
THIS GREAT PROMISE OF POWER IS NOT MUCH IN EVIDENCE TODAY, EVEN AS IT WAS NOT MUCH SHOWN THEN!
- The early church soon found differences of opinion - 15:39 - Paul and Barnabas - and many others.
- Today, hair-splitting over dogma (Rapture? When was the church born?), church politics - "Love each other?"
- Some churches today are powerless. Some sleeping power, some doing a little - ALL WITH PROBLEMS
THE PROMISE OF THE PRESENCE AND POWER OF GOD IS TIED WITH ONE THING MANY CHRISTIANS SADLY MISS!
- Look at the Great Commission - Matt 28:18-20 - if there is no GO, there is no LO or GLOW!
- The Apostolic Commission - Acts 1:8 - after POWER - Ye shall be witnesses - cannot avoid it!
- Look again at the Baptism of the Spirit - Acts 2:1-6 - the power was directly tied to WITNESSING - SAVING
The disciples wanted a Kingdom - we want some mysterious personal power - GOD WANTS WITNESSING
"WHY STAND YE GAZING?" - V.11
Have you ever seen a mob of people staring as someone needed help desperately and quickly?
THE APOSTLES STOOD GAZING UP AS CHRIST WENT UP; THEY WERE SCARED, AMAZED, TOO STUNNED TO ACT!
- The Angel sent them on their way to Mt. Zion - back to the Upper Room - get in the right place!
- They obeyed - and hurried to a place to wait - used the time to pray v.14 in one accord - obeying.
- Then with the Holy Spirit - they witnessed 8:4 went everywhere preaching the Word- witnessing.
WE TOO STAND GAZING, AMAZED, SCARED, TOO STUNNED TO ACT; AND WE WATCH A WORLD READY TO EXPLODE
- We see a world seething in action - and stand watching to see who will hit us next!
- We need to be the activating power - using the power God has given us - and we can MAKE things happen!
- Confess Christ -(Pat and Tommy did), carry your witness to others -(Sharon & Phil did), see Power!
"THIS SAME JESUS SHALL SO COME IN LIKE MANNER AS YE HAVE SEEN HIM GO INTO HEAVEN" V.11
- When the sky splits and we are caught up, I Thess 4:17, will we be asleep, or in action for the Lord?
- You can be a "Doer of the Word" - with your testimony and your life - you can MAKE THINGS HAPPEN.
- The excitement of Acts can be lived out again today - in your life, with power and blessing.
Will you put the promises of God to the test? Or be a false promise claimer - not doer?
THE PROMISES OF GOD ARE PERSONAL, AND POWERFUL; YOU ALONE CAN BRING THEM INTO YOUR LIFE!
- Will you personally accept Christ as your Saviour? Believe and Receive the Holy Ghost?
- Will you put your Faith to the test? Personal witness, soulwinning, prayer -
- Will you gather with the church - "with one accord"? You need a local church membership!