Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
Acts 10:14, 11:8
VERSES THAT CANNOT STAND
Sep. 28, 1997
HERE ARE A COUPLE OF VERSES THAT CONTAIN WORDS THAT ARE LIKE A CRITICAL MASS - TOGETHER = EXPLOSION!
- Simon Peter was a great man- apostle, - but amazing to see him argue with God- big mouth -ouch!
- People today think they can argue with God- set up a custom, tradition, -& defy God to change it.
- Search your own heart- if you tell the Lord- "Not So"- when He commands you- He is not your Lord.
Yet today we fail to search His commands and His commands are not grievous! They help us!
I. AN APOSTLE WHO ARGUED - Acts 10:14
We like to put people on a pedestal- worship or hate them! None of us is all good- or all evil!
A. FROM A STARTING POINT OF RAISING LIDIA FROM THE DEAD, PETER GETS INTO AN ARGUMENT WITH GOD!
- This passage changed the history of the church! Study it carefully to see God achieve His purpose!
- After every victory- comes a time of testing! Usually we flub it! Peter had to be told 3 times.
- Alone on housetop, awaiting the meal- quiet fellowship with God- asleep or a trance -God spoke.
B. GOD GAVE PETER A VISION OF WHAT THE FUTURE HELD FOR HIM AND THE CHURCH -TO ALL NATIONS!
- God asked Peter to do a strange thing- Violate Jewish Law- Gen. 7:2, Lev. 11, Deut. 14 -CLEAN, UNCLEAN
- God's command was clear- "Arise, Kill, Eat" - unclean mixture - "creeping things" snakes- YUCK!
- God did it 3 times- v.15 -Don't argue with God! Peter doubted v.17 Gentiles at the gate!
C. PETER HAD A LONG HISTORY OF ARGUING WITH GOD! Still God Loved him! & HE KNEW WHEN TO FOLD UP!
- Matt. 16:16 Peter declared Jesus as Christ, then in v.22 rebuked Jesus- & was called Satan!
- Matt. 26:33 Peter declared he would never deny Christ- v.71- he had done it thrice (3 times)
- John 21:15 Peter argued with Jesus about Love! -(3 times), then about John's job- v.21,22
- Gal. 2:11-12 Peter let his Jewish friends cause him to slight Gentiles- & Paul rebuked him!
Can we learn from Peter's mistakes- A great Apostle wrote 2 NT Books- strong personal COMMANDS!
II. DO WE ARGUE WITH GOD?
No need to study Bible for academic excellence alone- God's Word cleanses us, is to be obeyed!
A. WE NEED THE SAME HELP THAT GOD GAVE PETER! TO KNOW THE WILL OF GOD PLAINLY, THEN DO IT!
- We have such rebelliousness today! God is mocked, society has NO respect for His serious laws
- Then some come to me saying- "The Lord has led me!" -How? - Scripture? Sound logic? or Emotion?
- Remember story of 2 sons- Matt. 21:28-32 - Both lied - but ONE DID THE WILL OF THE FATHER!
B. WE NEED TO LEARN THE LESSON FROM THE LORD ON HOW TO "DO THE WILL OF GOD FROM THE HEART" -Eph. 6:6
- Establish 1st - that you are Saved, born again, -Born of God- John 1:13 -New Birth in Christ!
- Then learn to Love Jesus- John 14:15 -"If ye love me, keep my commandments" -& you will!
- Then if you really want to KNOW God's will- John 7:17 -"Do His Will" -Try it, you'll like it!
C. LET ME GIVE YOU SOME PRINCIPLES TO USE THAT WILL HELP YOU KNOW & OBEY GOD'S WORD!
- If the Word of God says it- that Settles it! Psa. 119:9-11 - Cleanse your way- by God's Word
- The witness of the Holy Spirit- I John 2:27, 3:20-21, Rom.14:22-23- don't condemn yourself-
- Be concerned about the conscience of others- Rom. 14:21, I Cor. 8:9-13, 10:23-33 - plain to all
- The council and advise of others who walk with the Lord helps! Psa. 1:1-3 Beware evil ones!
- Anything that takes away your freedom, puts you into bondage, builds addiction- beware! Don't!
Walk with Jesus in purity- you have freedom! Be scarred by sin-it hurts till resurrection.
III. LET'S GET PRACTICAL!
Dr. Kennedy's editorial- "The Silence of the Shepherds" Coral Ridge Ministry -Listen to him-
A. PETER HAD PREJUDICE AGAINST GENTILES - AND IT COULD NOT STAND AGAINST GOD'S LOVE TO ALL THE WORLD!
- We suffer racial & ethnic prejudice still- a person here watched a black m an lynched! Never again!
- We violate James 2:1 -regarding the riche, the poor, & the destitute - No pearls-swine- but??
- I have reason to praise God for our church- watched you shed prejudice, & welcome others.
B. BUT IT IS ALSO AGAINST GOD'S WILL TO ACCEPT AS NORMAL HORRIBLE SINS! BEWARED WORLDLINESS!
- News media-Canonized Diana, held up sins of Marv Albert -flood us with kinky sex & sodomy-
- Talk show- said 33 million Americans living in adultery? - How long can God hold back judgment?
- Chuck Colson speaking on Hollywood & Movies - I've boycotted Hollywood for 50 years!
C. WE HINT AROUND, TRY TO KEEP FROM HURTING FEELINGS AND LEAVE THE DOOR OPEN TO HURT YOURS!
- We try to be diplomatic -Choir Robes to cover spaghetti straps, Elect monotone to Ushers-
- But Today's fashions -shorts in church? Bare bellies, short dresses -cross dressing,
- No question about drugs -Tobacco, Alcohol! DON'T DO IT! -What of body piercing? Mutilation!
Ask God for help- Psa. 139.23-24 "Search me O God- Know my heart!" But then Don't Argue with God.
I GUESS IF YOU WANT TO BE LIKE PETER - IT IS ALRIGHT TO ARGUE WITH GOD * BE SURE HE WINS!
- Has God won your heart?- "He is not willing that any should perish" - What about you?
- Clean the Worldliness out of your heart & mind by filling it with good things- obedience!
- Be sure -God will work out His will in your life- with your help it tastes a lot better.