Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
WE ARE ALL WITNESSES
Apr 25, 1970 am
HERE IS PETER'S GREAT PENTECOSTAL SERMON - V.14 - GIVING GOD'S CALL TO THE NATION OF ISRAEL
- Luke surveys the first 40 year history of the church- from ascension to Paul in Rome
- In this great sermon Peter declared the purpose of God to save individuals from that generation
- The very foundation of the church is shown in the message, reaching to all ages - save yourselves
THE SERMON - "WE ARE ALL WITNESSES" ACTS 2:32b
About 120 Apostles and disciples - 1:15 - referred to in I Cor 15:6 tells of those to witness
THESE WERE WITNESSES TO THE LIFE AND TEACHING OF THE LORD JESUS CHRIST
- Some were present when Jesus was baptized, and had been sent to Jesus by John the Baptist
- Some had journeyed with Jesus from the Sermon on the Mount to the Olivet Discourse - taught
- They had seen the miracles, heard the voice of God declare His Son, and the Son's teaching
THESE WERE WITNESSES TO THE DEATH, BURIAL, RESURRECTION AND ASCENSION OF THE LORD JESUS CHRIST
- These with the thousands of Israel had seen Jesus die- but for these it had meaning and power
- They had witnessed the Lord showing himself alive - Acts 1:3 - for 40 days ministering to them
- They were there when the feet of Jesus left this earth - Acts 1:9 - and angels promised His return
THESE WITNESSES WERE WILLING TO DIE FOR THE TRUTHFULNESS OF THEIR TESTIMONY ABOUT JESUS
- Stephen witnessed concerning seeing Jesus- Acts 7:59 - and called on God to forgive His killers
- Every apostle but John died of torture rather than lie about what they knew of Jesus Christ
- Death had no fear for these who had walked with Jesus - 40 days in resurrection body - risen Lord
Their knowledge demanded that they bear witness, and their witness could not be ignored
THE QUESTION - WHAT SHALL WE DO?
Do we refuse to witness because we fear being unable to answer questions? But not here!
PETER QUOTED "WHOSOEVER SHALL CALL ON THE NAME OF THE LORD SHALL BE SAVED" ACTS 2:21b
- The promise of the prophets had finally arrived - Joel 2:31,32 - and they thought them drunk!
- Israel had prayed, fought, sought after this, but when Jesus came, they crucified Him!
- But God does not take a survey - He acts - and He made Jesus both Lord and Christ- v.36
PETER COMMANDED "REPENT AND BE BAPTIZED EVERY ONE OF YOU IN THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST" - V. 38
- Peter called for repentance, because this people had crucified Jesus and needed a change of heart
- The command of Baptism was clearly understood, and feared - this means a break with Judaism
- The empowering Holy Spirit was promised to all who would become Christians - God changed hearts
PETER PLED WITH THEM - SAVE YOURSELVES FROM THIS UNTOWARD GENERATION - V. 40
- The generation that crucified Jesus was corrupt - evil, vile, bloody - and ours is too
- The world was not going to be saved, but individuals could take action to save themselves
- Our generation has crucified Christ afresh - broken cross-love-peace-mockery/save yourself
God has always had a remnant to serve Him, and His promise is to as many as He shall call - v.39
THREE THOUSAND SOULS GLADLY RECEIVED THE WORD AND WERE SAVED! V. 41
Jesus promised His disciples that they would do greater things than He had done - John 14:12
THEY THAT GLADLY RECEIVED THE WORD WERE BAPTIZED, AND GOD ADDED TO THEM THREE THOUSAND SOULS
- Who knows how many rejected - swore at disciples, negative, corrupt - Pharisees, Sadducees
- But there were 3,000 who gladly received - note the positive, wholesome, full of life attitude
- We need such openness today; don't let Satan intimidate you and make you lose this gladness
THEY CONTINUED STEADFASTLY IN THE APOSTLES' DOCTRINE AND FELLOWSHIP - V. 42
- The doctrines they held had been given to them by divine revelation - not evolved, nor changed
- Man has no right to play Russian Roulette with doctrines any more than with natural law!
- So-called "progressive Christians" are coming today- just being new doesn't make it right! Test!
THEY CONTINUED DAILY WITH ONE ACCORD, WITH GLADNESS, SINGLENESS OF HEART - V. 46,47
- They met at Solomon's Porch in the Temple, witnessed, taught gladly, no long faces here.
- They had open hospitality - from house to house - dinner table evangelism - still works
- Their faith, open hospitality, joy-filled hearts, praising God, spread, and many were saved
They were all witnesses- each one in his own way, but all witnessed Joy in Jesus
WE ARE ALSO ALL WITNESSES - SOME GOOD, SOME BAD, BUT TO LIVE IS TO WITNESS SOMETHING!
- Will you witness for Jesus - at the invitation - decide for or against Him - not neutral
- Will you be added to the church? Make it definite, not just halfway, nor froze up
- For most of us, it involves some repentance - no salvation without it? Not much, anyway!