Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
HOW TO SEEK GOD
Sep 19, 1971 am
THE HERDMAN OF TEKOA WAS SENT TO PREACH TO A PEOPLE WHO THOUGHT THEY HAD EVERYTHING
- The people had everything they could desire, and even thought their religion to be fine.
- Like the Rich Man in Luke 12:19 they took their ease; Amos pronounced funeral dirge over them.
- They had their prosperity by defrauding the poor, and their great "Worship" at Bethel with a Golden Calf -
- And the Assyrian wolves were on their way!
HEAR YE THIS WORD - LAMENTATION - AMOS 5:1
As the people come and go through the gates with their wealth, and east, a disturbing word.
LAMENTATION O HOUSE OF ISRAEL, A FUNERAL DIRGE IN THE MIDST OF GREAT SOCIAL PROSPERITY - V.1
- Amos' style - the finest in literature - pure, clear, forceful, dramatic, real word artistry;
- The use of metaphor, sarcasm, irony, parallels, imagery, eloquent phrases, contrasts, poetry.
- He got their attention- Psychologic Technique - cursed their enemies - then began funeral that Jeremiah finished.
ISRAEL IS FALLEN - V.1,2 - A STRANGE WORD, UNCONVINCING, FOR THEY NEVER HAD IT SO GOOD
- The Virgin - symbol of moral level of the people - great but fallen, no help, forsaken
- The Cities - symbol of military power - once strong, but to be cut by 90% casualties - slaves
- The Reason Given - v.7 they had left judgment and righteousness for their luxury and pleasure.
BUT THE LORD STILL CRIES - V.4B - "SEEK YE ME AND YE SHALL LIVE"
- Even in the midst of funeral - God calls to life - as Jesus did the widow's son - Luke 7:14 - "Arise!"
- The first call was not to clean up their lives - or culture- but to SEEK GOD AND BE SAVED.
- God's message for us today - Isa 55:6 "Seek ye the Lord while He may be found" - YOU! NOW!
The time came when God's judgment fell on Israel - it was too late to seek Him then.
SEEK NOT BETHEL NOR GILGAL - AMOS 5:5
12 miles north of Jerusalem-I Ki 12:28-33, golden calf; and part-way to Jordan - winter cabins
BETHEL AND GILGAL SHALL FALL - V.5B - GILGAL INTO CAPTIVITY AND BETHEL SHALL COME TO NAUGHT
- Men had built a substitute altar, away from the temple, and for need or show- they worshipped there.
- But the worship was not spiritual - a show of pomp, wealth, pleasure, greed, lust, a real fun time.
- When the time came for the Judgment - Bethel had no help - like, if you don't like cops, call a hippy.
SEEK THE LORD AND YE SHALL LIVE V.6 - LEST HE BREAK OUT LIKE FIRE -
- The fire speaks of Judgment - on the idols and all who use them - as Elijah and Baal's prophets.
- As God plans their Judgment - Assyrians growing - Tiglath Pileser training - but God offered salvation.
- The time to seek God is while you have a choice - when you are forced, it may be too late! Ph 2:10
SEEK HIM WHO IS ALL POWERFUL - THE LORD IS HIS NAME V.8 LORD=JEHOVAH - JOSHUA - JESUS!
- None of man's way can satisfy - it is God who created the stars, light, darkness - the dawn!
- When your soul is dark - He can give light; when dying of thirst - He makes sea water FRESH - Life!
- The Lord is His name - not the greatness of church or ceremony - but a person - Acts 4:10,12 by Jesus!
Their gold calf, nor fun whorship (sic) - no help; Amos pled for pure fellowship with the Living Lord
SEEK GOOD THAT YE MIGHT LIVE - AMOS 5:14
The "God of Hosts" would be their protection if they would seek Him, and do good! Practical
IT IS THE LORD THAT HELPS THE OPPRESSED, AND STRENGHTENS THE WEAK AGAINST THE STRONG - V.9
- The God of all glory and power is interested in what happens on earth - He helps the needy.
- Israel was accused - v.11, 12 defrauding, spoiling, taxing - so God would judge them- 11b
- Things were so bad that the smart men just kept quiet - v.13, no chance of justice but God.
SEEK GOOD AND NOT EVIL, SO THE LORD OF HOSTS SHALL BE WITH YOU - V.14A, IDOLS=EVIL, SOCIAL EVILS!
- Salvation is free, but the soul that is saved is told to seek good - establish justice!
- II Chron 15:2, God is not mocked, when we seek wealth, not justice- we miss Him - and perish.
- When we do good - we are great; and God of Hosts (armies) is with us; but evil removes shield.
WOE UNTO YOU THAT DESIRE THE DAY OF THE LORD, I DESPISE YOUR FEAST DAYS - V.18, 21
- Their churches were right in eschatology - but wrong in morality, not spiritual but carnal.
- They sought a phony escapism, but did not grieve over sin 6:1,3,6 - carried Moloch - v.26
- But when the Lord is sought, and honest obedience to His commands - blessings and victory!
Because they rejected Amos- they soon had a strange famine 8:11, 12 - could not find the Lord
DON'T LET YOUR TEMPORARY PROSPERITY TAKE YOUR HEART AND MIND AWAY FROM SEEKING THE LORD
- Escape the affluent traps of Satan - free your mind to seek the Lord as your Saviour!
- Seek God's ways, fight for judgement and justice - to have God's hosts as helpers today.
- Seek out God's people - and walk with them - 3:3 if you can't, then what is wrong, you or God?
Not many from Israel listened to Amos, not many were saved - would you? Now?