Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
A BOY WITH A PURPOSE
Oct 5, 1969 am
DANIEL SURVIVED THE CHAOS OF HIS AGE BECAUSE HE HAD THE SECRET OF TAPPING GOD'S POWER
- The Book of Daniel has fiction-like fact - fiery furnace, lion's den, handwriting, watchers, etc.
- Daniel was carried from a dying culture to guide and predict the course of Gentile world history
- We need to learn how a slave became the Prime Minister under four ruthless potentates and lived
The secret of Daniel is found in his ability to have a purpose, and stick to it
I. DANIEL, CAPTIVE OF THE GENTILES
No matter what his Biblical training, he became the captive of Gentiles who knew not God
A. WHO WAS THIS DANIEL - ISAAC NEWTON: "CHRISTIANITY MIGHT WELL BE SAID TO BE FOUNDED ON HIS PROPHECIES"
- Perhaps he was a prince of Israel, or a child of King Jehoiakim? v.3 We do not know
- But very definitely he was a child of Israel v.3, a citizen of Jerusalem, not of Babylon
- We need to be a child of God- a Citizen of Eternity- not just a captive of this world
B. HE WAS A GOOD SPECIMEN OF YOUNG MANHOOD v .4 HIS AGE IS DEBATABLE - PROBABLY TEEN AGE
- The Bible says no blemish, well favored- physically he was healthy and strong- a good body
- He is described as skilled in wisdom, and cunning, socially he had healthy attitudes, wisdom
- In spite of the decay of his culture- someone had given this boy a good start at manhood
C. BUT HE WAS NOW A CAPTIVE IN A FOREIGN LAND, A SLAVE TO CIRCUMSTANCE? READ AND SEE
- The King had decreed that there should be brought to Babylon certain of the captive youth
- They were to be trained, schooled, cared for, and kept alive - but to be exploited and used
- They were to live from the King's table, on the level of material wealth v.5 of the king
But Daniel had his convictions concerning the way of life taught in the scriptures
II. DANIEL PURPOSED IN HIS HEART
People today would say that he had his hang-ups, inhibitions, but we would call them convictions
A. THERE WERE WITHOUT DOUBT MANY REASONS THAT COULD HAVE BEEN GIVEN TO GET HIM TO CHANGE HIS MIND
- He was a youth- with passions for great wealth, adventure, going along with the worldly crowd
- He was away from home, his parents could no longer boss him, no one to tell him no, no priest-
- There was also the danger that if he did not go along with the king, he would die- painfully
B. DANIEL DETERMINED IN HIS HEART THAT HE WOULD NOT FORSAKE WHAT HE KNEW OF GOD'S LAWS
- He met the first temptation, the first day, with a courteous but firm resolution - a man's way
- We are trying to resist powerful pressures to eliminate any such conviction, with sensitivity training
- If you can be reduced to a will-less slave- pressures in the near future will do so
C. TODAY'S GREATEST NEED IS MEN WITH REAL PURPOSE, AND A REAL PURPOSE FOR MEN
- We have failed to build strong hearts to have strong purposes - the do-nothing makes no mistakes
- We have thrown out too many questions, have torn down goals, questioned motives, cooled convictions
- Even the wrong goal - being a fireman, policeman, can give a youth purpose, but how many have it?
But we need educated, spiritual goals, and we need to challenge youth to train for it
III. DANIEL WOULD NOT DEFILE HIMSELF
There can be defilement in physical, social, and spiritual areas that cripple our development
A. FOR DANIEL, THE DEFILEMENT WAS WITH THE PORTION OF THE KING'S MEAT v.8 SEPARATE HIM FROM GOD.
- The king's meat and wine was not made according to Hebrew law - sanitation and health laws!
- This portion was also the result of idol worship, and to partake was to worship that idol
- One would hurt physically, the other was wrong spiritually - two good reasons missed today
B. THERE ARE MANY COMMON WAYS TODAY THAT THE DEVIL USES TO DEFILE PEOPLE - WRECK FELLOWSHIP WITH GOD
- Physically - Tobacco, alcohol, narcotics, lack of choosing what is good for us, for fun things
- Socially - Gambling, moral impurity, lack of personal responsibility, lack of purpose
- In the scripture these are called sin - because they harm the relationship between God and man
C. THOUGH CAPTIVE IN THE WORLD, WE STILL DO NOT NEED TO BE SLAVES TO GENTILE APPETITIES - PURPOSE NOT
- The best way is for young lives to dare to be a Daniel- and not take the first step - smoke, drink
- If it is too late for that- the second best- is to repent, quit, and claim purity for God
- But before you "get the habit" or build up anger at the preacher- would you dare to be a Daniel?
If you would have adventure - give your life to Godliness at any cost- not peace at any price!
YOU CANNOT HELP BEING IN A PAGAN-ORIENTED WORLD, BUT YOU CAN HELP BEING A SLAVE TO IT!
- The only way you have any chance is to become a child of the King of Jerusalem- Jesus Christ
- But we will have the secret of real victory only when we become a disciple of Jesus
- To make this power really live- we must make our mind determined - and declare it!
Join with thousands and tell the world you will not defile yourself!