Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
THE ANCIENT OF DAYS
Nov 30, 1969 am
THE MESSAGE OF THIS CHAPTER GAVE EVEN WISE OLD DANIEL A HEADACHE FROM TROUBLED COGITATIONS
- Here is a flashback. V.1, God spoke to Daniel in a dream during the reign of Balshazzar -Pre 5
- This great vision begins the second section of book, Pre-History given and explained v. 15-28
- As God revealed the future Daniel saw the Anti-Christ, the Almighty, and Jesus Christ
It is no wonder that his thoughts troubled him- Would God we had sense to be troubled, too.
I. THE MYSTERIOUS LITTLE HORN V.8
V.2 on his bed with his mind reaching Godward - Daniel saw the Great Sea strangely troubled
A. THE FOUR GREAT BEASTS V. 1-7 ARE THE EXTENSIONS OF NEBUCHADNEZZAR'S GREAT IMAGE OF A MAN CH.2
- Lion - Symbol of Ancient Babylon- on walls -
- Bear - Media Persia Empire- one side, 3 ribs
- Leopard - Greece, 4 heads- historical fact
- Dreadful beast- iron teeth - Rome - 10 horns
- Charlemagne and Napoleon tried for 5th Empire, so have Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, only 1 now!
B. THE STRANGE PICTURE IS THAT DESCRIBED AS THE LITTLE HORN WITH EYES AND MOUTH V.8
- The nations - 10 - struggling for power- east and west fighting to control Roman Empire today
- There is prophesied a spectacular leader- promising peace, prosperity, and world unity.
- Eyes to see, and mouth to speak - to succeed he must see the world and speak to the entire world.
C. THE INTERPRETATION OF THIS LITTLE HORN IS EVEN STRANGER THAN THE FIRST MENTION OF HIM V.24,25
- Rev. 13:1-4, esp. v.3 Some have tried to name him- Mussolini, Judas, Kennedy - head wound?
- Dan 7:21 says he will make war with the saints and prevail, v.25 - change times and law
- The times he will rule v.25 only 3-1/2 years, times so terrible any longer Matt 24:22 all perish
We see the nations today in great confusion, fear, eager for a super leader to bring peace
II. THE ANCIENT OF DAYS ON HIS THRONE V.9
There is no way to properly describe the glory, power, majesty, etc. - of the Almighty God
A. THE ANCIENT OF DAYS ('ATTIQ YOMEN) THE ANTIQUE ONE - ANCIENT AND GREAT AGE FOR ETERNITY
- The picture of God the Father- Ancient, Holy, Just, Pure, cf. Rev 4:2,3 like Jasper - rainbow
- The thrones of the world collapse, but His comes in on flaming wheels - fire pictures Deity
- Look at those who stand before him- v.10 cannot be numbered - also described in Rev. 7:9
B. JUDGMENT WAS SET, AND THE BOOKS WERE OPENED
- The purpose of the Ancient of Days - on His throne - was to judge Matt 25:32 Sheep and Goat Judge
- Books- Jerome said we would be judged from our own consciences- open to all the world- wow!
- Who is worthy to open the Books? Rev. 5:2,9,12 Only Jesus, the Lamb of God is worthy
C. THIS IS THE TIME OF GOD'S GREAT VICTORY OVER THE ANTI-CHRIST AND HIS EVIL WORLD 11b, 26
- Because of his words the Anti-Christ will be judged - Matt 12:37 by our words - condemned- just
- The Beast was slain, taken away to burning v.11, and described in Rev. 19:20 - Lake of Fire
- Note here the strange mercies of God- Dan 7:12 would seem to be a second chance- but ruled
The time is coming soon when these things will be fulfilled- compare Scripture with Scripture
III. THE SON OF MAN IN THE CLOUDS V.13
The great mystery of further night visions - looking into the Glorious face of our Lord Jesus
A. DANIEL SAW ONE LIKE UNTO THE SON OF MAN COMING IN THE CLOUDS V.13
- The burden of all the prophets - the glory of the Almighty invested in His Incarnate Son
- "Into the clouds" -Matt 26:64, Acts 1:11 so come again; Rev 1:7 every eye will see Him coming
- In this passage - Dan 7:13 Jesus is presented to God in Heaven- Rev. 19:9 Wedding supper of the Lamb
B. THERE WAS GIVEN TO HIM DOMINION, GLORY, AND A KINGDOM V.14
- The kingdom of God today Rom 14:17 is not physical, but righteousness, peace, joy
- But the time will come when this kingdom will be on this earth- physical - Psa 2:6 My King
- Every knee will bow, every tongue will confess - Phil 2:9-11 either now, or then -- WHICH?
C. THE KINGDOM OF THE EARTH SHALL BE GIVEN TO THE SAINTS V.27 AND ALL WILL SERVE HIM
- There are many parables stressing this- Matt 25:21 and the saints will reign with Him
- We had better make very sure that we are redeemed - Matt 7:14 straight, 11 not everyone - life?
- We had better make sure that we have something to offer Jesus - I Cor 3:13,14, any stars?
Like Daniel - study this in your heart, this should make you full of joy or trouble??
THE DAY WILL COME WHEN YOU WILL FACE THE ANCIENT OF DAYS, AND YOUR LIFE OPENED TO ALL
- If you know Jesus Christ- and have confessed Him here - Matt 10:31 He will confess you there
- If you have been faithful to Him - II Tim 2:12, then you will have the joy of reigning with Him
- Don't wait too long to decide, for the world stage is being set for Anti-Christ