Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
WHEN DANIEL SAW THE MESSIAH
Dec 7, 1969 am
THE VERY BACKBONE OF ALL BIBLE PROPHECY IS FOUND IN THIS GREAT PASSAGE
- Daniel knew from prophecy that the captivity would last 70 years, but he wanted hope
- When Daniel prayed, he had earned the right to hear an answer, and God gave it to him
- There are spiritual principles that apply today- though there is no exact date for the second coming of Christ.
We face the same desertion for our sin, and blessed hope!
I. DANIEL, A FACE SET UNTO THE LORD Dan 9:3
Here is the first great prayer of Daniel, and it is a mighty pattern for prayer today for us
A. THIS OCCURRED IN THE FIRST YEAR OF DARIUS, DANIEL HAD WALKED WITH THE LORD MANY YEARS
- Daniel had faithfully served the Lord through Nebuchadnezzar, Belshazzar, and now with the new empire
- Daniel was a great student of the Bible- v.2 searching the books of the Bible- including Jeremiah
- The more we study the Bible, and submit ourselves to its teaching, the more God gives us.
B. THE WORD OF THE LORD HAD SET THE DATES OF THE CAPTIVITY WITH JEREMIAH (Jer. 25:11,12) 70 YEARS
- Scofield footnote shows other comparisons available to Daniel- (Lev 26:33,34)
- Israel had been in the land 490 years, but was too selfish and greedy to give land sabbaths
- There had been 70 7s without sabbaths, so for 70 years the land would rest- so Daniel prayed
C. DANIEL SET HIS FACE "TO SEEK BY PRAYER AND SUPPLICATIONS, FASTINGS, SACKCLOTH, ASHES" v.3
- Daniel recognized his own sin- confessed nations sin- v.5, and included himself v.20a
- When he confessed the sin of his people - v.13b he was not accusing them - but confessing
- In Dan 9:19 he concluded his prayer very much like I John 1:9 and God honored his prayer
The only thing that can save America is for wise men to pray like this for us all- can you?
II. GABRIEL CAME TO GIVE UNDERSTANDING Dan 9:22
God's answer to Daniel's prayer was to send a messenger with more hope than Daniel realized
A. THE ANGEL STARTED ON HIS WAY TO ANSWER DAINEL WHEN DANIEL SAID "I" v.20
- To be true to his promise, God must answer the prayer of a heart as honest and humble as Daniel
- The three hardest words - "I have sinned." 95% of Christians' troubles come from weakness here
- If men like Daniel, David, Paul, John so prayed - and Saul, Herod, Jezebel refused - which of you?
B. GABRIEL ARRIVED AND TOUCHED DANIEL v.21 AND WE NEED A SPECIAL TOUCH FROM GOD, TOO
- It takes time for angels to travel cf 10:12,13, and we get in too much of a hurry today
- The angel came at the time of the sacrifice - though nothing was being sacrificed at that time
- The time of church is important - Daniel used that time for prayer- and God touched him!
C. THE ANGEL GABRIEL BROUGHT SKILL AND UNDERSTANDING TO DANIEL v.22 THOUGH DANIEL HAD MUCH
- Daniel earned the right to be specially touched by the angel- 23b "beloved" Are you?
- There was no spiritual sin showing in Daniel's life- Col 3:5,8 - like pride, covetousness
- The angel did not explain about the return to Jerusalem, but time of the Messiah - better
God gives us far beyond what we have wisdom enough to ask about- He gives a real hope!
III. MESSIAH IS COMING TO DIE FOR US v.24,26
Here is the amazing trigger for all prophecy, and this must be figured right and in sequence
A. ISAIAH NAMED THE MAN WHO WOULD GIVE THE COMMAND TO REBUILD THE CITY OF JERUSALEM
- In 712 BC, Isaiah in 44:28-45:4 gave the name of Cyrus 150 years before he was even born
- This is prophesied concerning Israel, Jerusalem, and the temple- but has message for us
- Here is a gentile king called "anointed", a gentile type of Christ- and gentiles today hear
B. EZRA AND NEHEMIAH FURTHER RECORD THE DECISIONS MADE IN BABYLON THAT INFLUENCED JERUSALEM
- Ezra 1:2,3 the order was to rebuild the temple, not the city- 540-515 BC and work started
- It is recorded in ancient Jewish writings that Zerubbabel read Isa 44:28- to Cyrus -
- In Neh 2:5 the command was given by Artaxerxes- 445 BC, of New Scofield Note 5, page 913
C. THE TIMING OF GOD'S PROPHECY IS IN GOD'S HAND AND FULFILLED IN HIS PURPOSE
- If you subtract 434 years from the decree, you come out 11 BC by our figures today
- Cf New Scofield- Note 4, Jewish year was 360 days, or off 2178 days- almost 6 years
- With this it brings you to 5 BC, Bible historians tell Christ born 4-6 BC
Daniel was shown the blessed hope of the Messiah coming to die for his sins- ours, too.
DANIEL WAS SHOWN THE TIME WHEN JESUS WOULD BE CUT OFF FOR OUR SINS, HE TRUSTED IN CHRIST
- God will give the same assurance to any who seek Jesus as their Saviour - real Christians
- Will you meet God's conditions? Jesus said, "Whosoever confesseth me before men" -
- God will not change history- but He will give you a blessed hope- will you hope in Jesus?