Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
Some of the ink on the original document has smudged, making some portions of this document illegible. Rather than assume what Pastor Darby had typed and "fill in the blanks," we've chosen to just note these areas as "(illegible)".
A PREVIEW OF GENTILE HISTORY
Oct 26, 1969 am
AT 600 BC GOD GAVE A PREVIEW OF WORLD HISTORY TO A GREAT KING THROUGH DANIEL
- In Chapter 2 a strange dream and a strange interpretation starts the ABC's of Prophecy- Image
- Our scholars have been so amazed at this prophecy some say it had to be written AD, not BC
- This strange set of events convinced King Nebuchadnezzar that Daniel's God spoke the truth
What would it take to convince you of that same great truth and get you to act upon it?
I. THE TERRIBLE DREAM Daniel 2:28-35
The lives of all the wise men, and Daniels friends, depended upon Daniel knowing right dream-
A. DANIEL WITNESSED TO KING NEBUCHADNEZZAR OF THE GLORY OF GOD -28-30
- The wise men could not find the answer to the problem- and neither can they find it today!
- There is but one God, and Daniel was not afraid to confess him before king or slave- risked life
- Daniel disclaimed anything special for himself "As for me" -v.30 keeping the king important
B. THE GREAT AND TERRIBLE IMAGE - Dan 2:31-33
- The great mysterious monster of a man, great, terrible, shining, impressing king frightfully
- The ancient world used animal figures- but when God gave symbols to man- it was of man himself
- The various compositions were strange, a mystery that no wise man could unfold- only God
C. THE MYSTERIOUS STONE, CUT WITHOUT HANDS, SHAKING AND SHATTERING THE DREAM - Dan 2:34,35
- The event that came crashing into the dream with remarkable alarm and unusual terror- destruct
- This stone is supernatural, small at first, then growing to fill the entire world, what could be
- Then smote the image, destroying it completely- ending the image history completely-
"This is the dream" - and the king was speechless with wonder - only God can say - "this is it."
II. THE INTERPRETATION OF THE IMAGE - Dan 2:36-43
The king himself had seen the image- not the prophet- it was important to king- Daniel explained
A. THE HEAD - GOLD - LION - SYMBOL OF BABYLON EMPIRE - v.37-38b - "Thou art this head of Gold"
- The Golden city of Babylon- World empire, wonder of the ancients, power, glory, -not forever!
- Isa 45:1-3 would get an open gate into Babylon - another Kingdom shall arise- danger to tell-
B. THE BREAST AND ARMS - SILVER - BEAR - OF MEDE, CYRUS - PERSIA, DARIUS v.39 and 7:5
- Inferior to Gold, a divided authority, weaker as such, but defeated Babylon through river gate
- Under these kings Jerusalem and the Temple were rebuilt and restored, Jews sent back to Palestine
C. THE BELLY AND THIGHS OF BRASS - LEOPARD - GREEK EMPIRE WITH ALEXANDER- 39b 7:6
- The Homeric title- "The Brass-mailed Greeks" - Alexander wept at no more to conquer - died -32
- The division - Ch. 7, four generals took up the empire, Jews suffered much- Abomination of Des.
D. LEGS AND FEET - OF IRON - THEN IRON & CLAY - STRANGE BEAST- ROMAN EMIPIRE - 40-42, 7:7-10
- Iron men, with iron swords, iron shields, wearing iron helmets- led by democracy in government
- The kingdom was early divided into two sections - thighs - great power, but divided authority
- The mysterious feet- 10 toes- iron - totalitarian government- mixed with clay - democracy?
- This means 10 kingdoms- Machiavelli, Jerome, Isaac Newton- all listed their list- yet coming?
We puzzle today about the 10- Cf 7:24,25 - we are watching a revived Roman Empire-
III. THE STONE CUT WITHOUT HANDS v. 44
Even more remarkable and terrifying than the image is the stone that falls from heaven
A. THE STONE ITSELF - REPRESENTS THE LORD JESUS CHRIST, AND ALSO HIS KINGDOM
- This is the Stone of Israel - Isa 28:16- Foundation: Psa 118:22 - Cornerstone- Matt 16:18 The Rock
- Cut without hands- Jesus was virgin-born - coming from heaven - Acts 1:11- come in like manner
- To those who accept Him as Saviour now, He is the foundation- to others- He will come later
B. THE ACTIO(illegible) STONE ON THE IMAGE - v.34 & 44
- The I(illegible) presents the nations of the world - the kingdoms- to be smitten, destroyed completely
- The T(illegible) the gentiles will be ended- Luke 21:20,24,28 we see this happening close today
- The empires of the world will divide themselves and meet in valley of Jezreel- and be smitten!
C. THE GROWTH AND GREATNESS OF THE STONE - THE KINGDOM OF CHRIST TO COVER THE WORLD v.35,44
- God's kingdom shall not be destroyed, but shall rebuild and encompass the world - righteousness
- In 7:13 - it is God's Son that shall have dominion and power - The Prince of Peace brings Peace
- Christ's Kingdom shall be for a thousand years, worldwide, but no millennium until Jesus comes-
The dream is certain - 2:45b - what is prophesied is sure- Jesus is coming- are you ready?
HERE GOD SPEAKS IN PROPHECY, WE CAN SEE ALMOST ALL OF IT IN HISTORY, SEE AND BELIEVE
- Will you believe in the Saviour- the Lord Jesus Christ- and be saved from the Gentile age?
- Will you believe that He is the King of Kings - has authority to command and lead you?
- Why not yield your life to Jesus to live for Him, so when He comes you will be ready!