Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
Daniel 9:1-27 (24-7)
WHEN DANIEL SAW THE BIRTH OF JESUS
Dec. 24, 1967 am
PROPHECY HAS SOME GREAT PREDICTIONS UTTERLY AMAZING IN THEIR FULFILLED ACCURACY
Men are named centuries before their birth, their duties are detailed, yet- they are free willed. Hundreds of prophecies center around one person- Messiah the Prince, ALL PROPHECY - to Him. Prophecies, like a net over history, bring us to Jesus Christ that we might be saved. We can be amazed at the prophecies, but if we do not come to Jesus, their purpose is lost!
I. THE AMAZING TIME FUSE FOR DANIEL'S PROPHECY
Somewhere around 530-40 BC Daniel recorded this vision in the faraway land of Babylon
A. DANIEL SOUGHT THE LORD FOR THE RESTORATION OF HIS PEOPLE TO THEIR LAND Dan. 9:1-19
- Daniel recognized that the Lord controlled the destiny of all souls, and prayed to Him
- Daniel confessed his sin, and his people's sin honestly; admitted they deserved punishment
- Daniel asked to be restored to Jerusalem, but God gave him something more important than land
B. GOD GAVE DANIEL AN AMAZING PROPHECY OF THE TIME OF THE COMING OF THE MESSIAH Dan. 9:20-27
- Gabriel told Daniel of 70 weeks of years- 490 years to reconcile for sin, and end sin.
- v.25- 7 weeks (49 years) to rebuild the city
- 3 score & 2 weeks (434 years) until Messiah the Prince shall come, then undetermined time
- And He would be cut off, the city destroyed, then more undetermined time
- 1 week (7 years) of a renewed covenant, with sacrifice stopped in the middle
- But this clock of timing will not start until triggered v.25b- "the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem."
II. THE AMAZING TRIGGER FOR THE PROPHECY
God fits everything into the net of prophecy to draw men to Himself if we would but read
A. ISAIAH NAMED THE MAN WHO WOULD GIVE A COMMAND TO REBUILD JERUSALEM AND THE TEMPLE
- In 712 BC Isaiah (44:28 - 45:4) gave the name of a great king who would issue a commandment
- He told what this king would do concerning the nation of Israel, Jerusalem, & the Temple
- Cyrus is the only Gentile called "Anointed" - and is a gentile type of Christ
B. EZRA AND NEHEMIAH FURTHER RECORD THE DECISIONS OF THE LEADERS OF BABYLON REGARDING ISRAEL
- Ezra 1:3 tells us that the decree is to rebuild the temple, not the city - 540-515 BC
- It is recorded that Zerubbabel read Isa. 44:28- to Cyrus, helping the astonished king so command
- But in Nehemiah 2:5 we see the command to rebuild the city given by Artaxerxes in 445 BC (Cf Scofield note 5)
C. THE TIMING OF GOD'S PROPHECY IS IN HIS HANDS TO BE FULFILLED IN HIS TIME
- When you subtract the 434 years from the decree of Artaxerxes makes it 11 BC
- Cf new Scofield note 4, Jewish year was 360 days long - we have an extra 2178 days
- This lacks only 22 days making 6 years, which brings us to 5 BC (5 off in 500 years)
- If you can get 99% correct in your figuring you are well (Jesus was born 4-6 BC)
III. THE AMAZING PROPHECY FULFILLED IN JESUS
The purpose of God is not to rebuild Jerusalem; His purpose is to offer Salvation to souls!
A. THE CENTER OF PROPHECY IS LIKE A SPIDER WEB LEADING TO JESUS CHRIST See 2 of hundreds-
- Isa. 7:14- the Prophecy of a Virgin Birth, and it is fulfilled in Matt. 1:18 Joseph believed it
- Mica 5:2- Called for the birth in Bethlehem - and Luke 2:1-2 forced Mary to Bethlehem-
- Matt 1:21 tells us the reason "He shall save His people from their sins."
B. THE PROPHECY IN DANIEL SAID HE WOULD BE CUT OFF Dan. 9:26
- To be cut off- is to be killed, and so He was. The great Messiah, the Prince of Peace - killed
- Not for Himself- an unusual expression- Heb. 9:18- Offered to bear our sins
- And the people of the beast shall come and destroy the city- 70 AD, Titus and the Romans
C. BUT THE PROPHECY SPOKE OF ANOTHER WEEK, AND THE SACRIFICE STOPPED IN THE MIDDLE 3-1/2 YEAR
- There has been no Jewish sacrifice since 70 AD, but now we hear rumors of a new temple-
- Is it that we are close to the confirmation of the covenant for a week- Dan. 9:27?
- If you are not Jewish, you had better not be here when God turns from the age of the Gentiles!
God's prophecy is certain, and the rapture of the redeemed is soon- are you ready?
SINCE ALL PROPHECY, AND ALL OF THE WORD OF GOD IS SURE, WHAT OF YOUR SALVATION?
You can be sure of your Salvation - if you will Confess Christ as your Saviour!
You can be sure of your Christian life, too- even if you are only 99% right- rejoice!
What of your Baptism, and Church membership, why not consider it today?