Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
THE VANITY OF YOUTH
Sep 24, 1961 am
and Jul 25, 1971 am
WE LIVE IN AN AGE OF HOPELESS CONFUSION, AND TOO MANY OF OUR YOUTH HAVE CAUGHT ITS EVIL
- Proverbs is God's wisdom given to man - and Ecclesiastes is man's wisdom trying to find satisfaction.
- But man's wisdom makes many foolish mistakes - grasping in his own experience for motivation.
- Study and mark well the boundaries of vain wandering - and save your time - these are dead ends!
Study and mark well the conclusion - and go directly to the treasure that it contains.
A MAN'S SEARCH FOR SATISFACTION - ECC 1-
There are many opinions today - 12:12a - of writing of books there is no end! -
"I GAVE MY HEART TO SEEK OUT WISDOM" ECC 1:13
- We have the greatest educational system and storehouse of information in history - and doubling every 7 years.
- We have studied answers for everything - computerized it all, exchanged information and reached the moon.
- Some have made great sacrifice to get an education (personal illustration), and the Ivy Towers grow dark.
"I WILL PROVE THEE WITH MIRTH, PLEASURE, FOLLY, AND WINE" ECC 2:1-3
- Another great driving power today is that toward pleasure - amusement, recreation, excitement.
- Solomon tried them all - wine, folly, 1,000 wives - and our Playboy Society tries swinging!
- We also have our "thing" - hippies! And they try drugs, free love, communism, self-gratification
"I WILL MAKE ME GREAT WORKS" ECC. 2:4 - POSSESSIONS, CATTLE, TREASURES, SINGERS, BUILDINGS, ETC.
- The drive for material possessions is great, especially in those who remember the depression and poverty.
Solomon tried great works - built palace, temple, was known as richest king ever, v.10.
We have the greatest possessions of any age, and are gadget-crazy - builders, treasurers, - all.
These are the driving forces of mankind - and every man tries some for satisfaction - goals in life.
BUT THE SOUL OF MAN IS NOT SATISFIED!
These are all dead ends, blind alleys, and they all lead to disasters - Solomon called them Vanities.
WISDOM, KNOWLEGE, AND INTELLECTUALISM AT ITS PEAK DOES NOT ANSWER MAN'S PRIME NEED 2:15,16
- The intellectual and the fool face the same problems, and the same death - empty and useless.
- We come to church to tell the world how to live? -5:1, when we need to fear God - 5:7 - do you?
- Our age has found how to go to the moon, but not how to motivated children to read and figure.
WEALTH AND WORLDLY PEASURE CANNOT SATISFY MAN'S BASIC NEED FOR ACHIEVEMENT IN LIFE
- Wealth - 5:10,11 actually brings additional problems, and I know from experience that 6:2 is true!
- Physical pleasure debases the person, and no physical appetite can be filled - food, drug, wine, or Playboy -
- Our "prosperity" babies are given everything, and are the most likely to turn to dope - drop out - and death.
THE NATURAL MAN CANNOT BE SATISFIED, EVEN WHEN HE IS GIVEN HIS OWN WAY TO PURSUE
- We think of the good old days - 7:10 (the fun we had when we thought we were so miserable).
- We get really wise - and then we know how far wisdom is from us! 7:23 Folly of Expert's programs.
- Solomon found only one man in 1,000 of any account - 27,28, and not one woman! (Ouch)
God made man upright, but the Bible says we have sought out many inventions - Ecc 7:29.
ONLY GODLINESS CAN SATISFY!!
Solomon tried it all - and found all to be but soap bubbles -(vanity)- why not move to king row now!
SO WHILE YOU ARE YOUNG, HERE IS THE ADVICE OF THE WISEST MAN EVERY TO LIVE ON THIS EARTH! 11:9A
- While you are young enjoy it - do what your heart really desires - greater opportunity today!
- The world is your oyster - but you have to crack it open! Nothing to do? More than ever in history!
- But remember - v.9c and 10 - God will judge everything - so do right! Put away sorrow and evil!
REMEMBER NOW YOUR CREATOR IN THE DAYS OF THY YOUTH, FOR YOU ARE GOING TO GROW OLD! 12:1-
- God wants you to have the fullest, most rewarding, most enjoyable life! Don't muff it up!
- Live so that you can grow old gracefully, without too many regrets or wrinkles - it IS possible.
- We have several people in our church that are almost examples in this - (beautiful sweethearts - two are 87)!
LET US HEAR THE CONCLUSION OF THE WHOLE MATTER - THE BEST SOLOMON HAD - 12:13, 14
- Fear God - Recognize God's person, respect Him for Who He is, and know that He does exist!
- Keep the commandments - there are many - and you need to know the most important - Acts 17:30,31
- The whole duty of man - concentrate on your duty and do it - and you will find great satisfaction.
Every work, every secret thing - WILL BE BROUGHT INTO JUDGMENT! V.14 for you - Joy or Sorrow?
HAVE YOU GROWN ENOUGH IN MATURITY TO SKIP THE EXPERIMENTS AND GO TO THE CONCLUSION OF SOLOMON?
- Examine your won soul - you can wander about if you wish, but I suggest you seek Jesus!
- There is no pleasure like that of pleasing Him - when you try it you will know! Try now!
- In today's wisdom - seek your best goals under God's Son, and pursue them and find fulfillment!