Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
THE REPEAL OF SOUR GRAPES
Sep 7, 1969 am
FOR CENTURIES SONS HAVE BEEN BLAMING THIER FATHERS FOR CIRCUMSTANCES OF TROUBLE
- Here God strips each man naked of all excuses that keep him from facing his own responsibility
- Every soul is shown as being personally judged for his own individual sinfulness alone
- An old parable is thrown out as God cuts through human ideology with His revelation
Our age has again wallowed in the gutter of despair over what our fathers have done to us
I. GOD SAID "ALL SOULS ARE MINE" Ezek 18:4a
By right of creation, sustenance, and saving grace God claims His right to judge every soul
A. "THE FATHERS HAVE EATEN SOUR GRAPES, AND THE CHILDREN'S TEETH ARE SET ON EDGE" Ezek 18:2b
- The law says Exo 20:5b that the iniquity of the fathers will be remembered to the fourth generation
- Many psychologists today blame any misbehavior on the ignorant parents who raised a person wrong
- The Israelites Lam 5:7 - We are captives in Babylon because of our father's sins-
B. BUT GOD SAID AS THE SOUL OF THE FATHER, SO ALSO THE SOUL OF THE SON IS MINE. Ezek18:4b
- We all do the same- Adam blamed Eve for his sin Gen 3:12- but God judged both her and him!
- The Israelites blamed their fathers for their general troubles, but they also continued in sin
- It would seem that sniveling fathers produced sniveling, faultfinding, griping, sons!
C. BUT GOD SAID "THEY SHALL NOT HAVE OCCASION ANY MORE TO USE THIS POVERB IN ISREAEL Ezek 18:3
- Exo 20:4 also goes on to say-"fourth generation of them that hate Me"- v.4 "and showing mercy to them that love Me"
- God reminds them plainly Ezek 18:20 that each person's sins or righteousness will be his own.
- We have faith for this life- Heb 11:6 that God will reward those who seek Him diligently
If the Bible teaches anything about this matter is that God deals with each soul- personally
II. THE SOUL THAT SINNETH - IT SHALL SURELY DIE Ezek 18:4b
For the sake of good taste- I want to deal with the sin results first - v.10-13. 24,26 & etc.
A. IF A JUST MAN .. BEGET A SON THAT IS A ROBBER.. HE SHALL SURELY DIE, HIS BLOOD SHALL BE UPON HIM (10)
- Being a man who does a good job of keeping Gods laws does not guarantee godly sons -
- The common sins of that day are listed plainly- the N.T. would add attitudes as well- actions
- If this list were modern it would include personal harm- I John 2:16 - as well as harming others
B. BUT WHEN THE RIGHTEOUS TURN (v.24) IN HIS SIN THAT HE HATH SINNED... SHALL HE DIE.
- In those days as well as today- some during discouragement and despair turn away from God's way
- This has the connotation of physical life and death, not considering here the eternal life
- The facts of this are seen in the death rate today- Suicide, murder, cf Aug 8th Tate murder-
C. THE QUESTION SHOUTS FORTH - "HAS GOD ANY PLEASURE IN THE DEATH OF THE WICKED?" Ezek 18:23
- The wicked hurry their death- rushing into sin like the lemmings into the sea for their death
- I Tim 2:4 God would have all men to be saved, and to be empowered to fight against sin
- But when the wicked kill themselves against God's laws- he must judge, and condemn
God says plainly "I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked" v. 32 - turn and live!
III. IF A MAN BE RIGHTEOUS, HE SHALL SURELY LIVE v.5 & 9
No matter what troubles you from heredity or environment - here is the offer of real life
A. GOD GIVES A SERIES OF ILLUSTRATIONS FROM THAT DAY AND AGE OF RIGHTEOUSNESS v.5-9
- Each age has its own special besetting sins, and undiscussable taboos- here is that age shown
- Each age has men who for sophistication and culture - refrain from the crude sins- and smile
- Each age also has men who for the love of their God walk a life of self-denial re; sin- & live
B. "HE IS JUST... HE SHALL SURELY LIVE SAITH THE LORD" Ezek 18:9
- The words literally would be- living he shall live, or he shall live in life -Psa 1:3
- Prov 3:1-2 the promise is of long life and peace to those who keep His commandments - on earth
- If the sinner man begat a son v.14, If the wicked turn v.30 and do right - he shall live.
C. GOD PLEADS WITH ALL AGES - REPENT AND TURN YOURSELVES FROM ALL YOUR TRANSGRESSIONS 18:30
- Make you a new heart and new spirit v.31 says - Eph 4:22-24 - If you have heard Him - Jesus
- II Cor 5:12 tells us that if any man is in Christ Jesus, he is a new creature
- Rom 10:10 tells us that with the heart a man believeth unto righteousness- Believe in Christ
Ezek 18:29 - O house of Israel, are not my ways equal? Are not God's ways right?
GOD IS FAIR IN HIS JUDGEMENT, WE REAP WHAT WE SOW, WE NEED TO JUDGE OURSELVES LEST WE BE JUDGED
- The wages of one's sin is eternal death- unless you accept Jesus Christ as your Saviour
- The wages of temporal sin is physical death- we need to change from sin to really live
- The church is here to help you to the fullest life possible, will you let it guide you into the Word of God- if so, join it, support it, and serve God in it.