Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
THE SADDEST VERSE IN THE BIBLE
Sept. 14, 1969 am
Ezekiel is Prophet of Spirit, Isaiah- son, Jeremiah- father. Read 2:55, Key 3:17- Watchman
THE SADDEST VERSE IS WHERE GOD SOUGHT FOR A MAN TO SAVE JERUSALEM, AND FOUND NONE WORTHY
- No matter how corrupt in law, doctrine & worship, the heart of God wants to love and save
- But when God cannot find a man willing to stand in the gap, and build the hedge- He must destroy
- The only thing that is saving America today is its Christians who are still praying and working
But how long before these are outlawed, or give up? You may be America's last chance!
I. GOD'S SEARCH FOR A MAN Ezek 22:30abc
God has always sought men, Jesus came to seek and to save- Many have said, "Here am I, Lord"
A. WHAT IS THE SPIRITUAL PRINCIPLE INVOLVED IN THIS GREAT VERSE OF SCRIPTURE? (SAME IN ANY AGE)
- Abraham Gen 20:7 stood between God and Sodom and argued, bargained, prayed, why? For Lot?
- Moses Exo 32:11 stood between God and Israel in the wilderness concerned enough to dare God
- Aaron Num 16:48 stood between a deadly plague and Israel and prayed- fires, incense, sacrifice
B. WHEN GOD SOUGHT FOR A MAN IN ISRAEL, WHAT DID HE FIND? IT IS ENUMERATED IN EZEK 22nd CHAPTER
- The Playboy Princes- v.6-8,27 bloodguilt, disrespect to parents and God, oppressive, graft
- The Swinging Merchants- v9-12 feasting, lusting, graft, usury, oppression, informers for hire
- The Greedy Prophets- v.26 lawless, unholy, immoral, broke the Sabbath, v.20:20 mocked God
- The People- v.29 oppressive, robbing each other, vexing the poor, stranger-
C. BUT BEFORE GOD WOULD JUDGE AND DESTROY JERUSALEM, HE MADE ONE LAST SEARCH TO SEE IF ANYONE CARED ANY MORE
- Isaiah warned, Jeremiah sought desperately- Jer 5:1 till God forbad him to pray Jer 11:24
- God would rather save than destroy, but people turned against Jeremiah, and no one else cared for God
II. WHY DID GOD SEARCH FOR A MAN? WHAT DID GOD WANT HIM TO DO?
Remember- we look on outward appearance, God looks on the heart- I Sam 16:7b. What does God say about you?
A. GOD SOUGHT FOR A REAL MAN 22:30a. SATAN DOES HIS BEST TO SEE THAT THERE ARE NO REAL MEN
- God does not seek innocent babies- ignorance of sin, or innocence is not godliness, nor wisdom
- God wants a man, a man in this world, that knows the difference between good and evil and chooses good
- God seeks a man that He can make strong to resist temptation, choose good, and DO IT!
B. TO MAKE UP THE HEDGE 22:30b GOD HAS A JOB THAT NEEDS DOING- VERY REAL, PRACTICAL, AND EARTHLY, NOT WORLDLY
- The people's permissiveness has torn holes in the hedge- we are left with no defense to sin
- God needed men to rebuild the walls, to reestablish discipline, justice, godliness, so He can bless
- Doctrine was forgotten, worship was bypassed, the Law was broken- anarchy ruled, sin triumphed
C. TO STAND IN THE GAP 22:30c SOMETIMES THERE WAS NOT ENOUGH HEDGE- A MAN HAD TO STAND IN THE GAP
- No law is able to keep people from breaking out- Israel had the greatest laws of all time
- But a strong leader could plug the gap, seek the lost sheep, put a hand in the hole of the dyke
- Sometimes a man like Aaron must stand between God's wrath and the people and dare the plague
Often one single man must stand alone for what is right and just- and refuse to budge
III. CAN GOD FIND SUCH A MAN TODAY? HE COULD NOT THEN, SO NOW?
Jesus asked, "When the Son of Man cometh, shall He find faith on the earth?" Luke 18:8
A. OUR HEDGES TODAY ARE WELL-BROKEN DOWN, SIN BREAKS GAPS AND SOMEONE IS TAMPERING WITH THE SOUL OF US
- Our Laws- pierced - 900 narcotics arrests- 1 imprisonment; 1/2 million dollar narc raid, bail set at $1,000
- Our Worship- corrupted - adulterers behind pulpits- divorced and remarried behind sacred desk
- Our Doctrine- perverted - some cannot tell the difference between immorality and poverty
B. THERE ARE GAPS IN OUR DEFENSE IN OUR LAND, AND IN OUR WORSHIP, AND GOD IS NOT MOCKED NOW OR THEN
- Some would not shoplift, but will shoplift against God- take blessings and not earn them or pay for them
- Some would not be immoral, but by immodesty they cause others to sin - shorts in church?
- Some would not kill, but by prayerlessness, and no concern for souls - murder chance of salvation
C. CAN GOD FIND STRONG MEN WHO WILL BE TRUE TO HIM? ISAIAH SAID "HERE AM I, SEND ME"- WHAT OF YOU?
- Though others should seek momentary pleasure, will you seek true value in life- Jesus Christ!
- Will you seek to obey God's laws because you love Him? What of Sunday School? Evening Church? Wednesday night Prayer Service?
- Will you through prayer and personal example stand in the gap and not grow weary? Bitter?
I find myself too tired to care in certain areas! Will you make up that gap? You must!
WHEN GOD SEEKS FOR A MAN TO MAKE UP THE HEDGE, AND STAND IN THE GAP, WILL YOU SAY YES?
- There are faithful voices standing at the edge of Hell warning people away- listen and seek Jesus!
- The faithful voices are few, some growing faint, will you add your strength - soulwinning?
- Will you keep his law? Will you pray? (Next Sunday night- Angel Wrestling!)
(These notes are not designed to be a finished product; the finished sermon is not even the finished product. The finished product is shown only in your life.)