Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
SET FORTH A WATCHMAN
Aug 22, 1971 am
THE THEME OF A WATCHMAN IS COMMON IN SCRIPTURE, BUT HERE GOD FLEW IN ONE FOR SPECIAL DUTY
- Isa 21:11 The people asked "Watchman, what of the night?" They at least feared enough to ask.
- Isa said - "The day cometh, so does the night" - John 9:4 adds - "when no man can work."
- Ezekiel was told that they would not hear him, 3:7, but he must be hard-headed 3:9
33:32 - that they will listen to a prophet's message like a pleasant song - and forget it!
MANKIND NEEDS A WATCHMAN TODAY!
Dan 4:13 tells of an Angelic Watchman, scrambling Nebuchadnezzar's brain; Matt 18:10 of angelic guardian.
THE PEOPLE OF TODAY NEED TO SET FORTH A WATCHMAN, BUT WE ARE GROWING WEAK!
- This is an unfriendly world - every city, nation, or camp needs a watchman - we did at Camp this week.
- We, like Israel, Rome, Greece, Egypt, Babylon - are decaying from within - who will warn us?
GOD HAS CHOSEN HIS SPECIAL WATCHMAN IN THE BIBLE DAYS, EZEK 3:17 - "I HAVE MADE THEE A WATCHMAN."
- Then and now - God's watchmen are but men, subject to human error - but called of God and His!
- Too many today give forth "an uncertain sound" - I Cor. 14:8, and in Ezekiel's time, too!
- The key to being "God's Watchman" is 17b "hear the word" - the word of God.
HOW CAN WE KNOW THE TRUE SHEPHERD? IT IS IN THE MESSAGE - 3:17C - "FROM ME" - GOD SAYS!
- We need a good memory to know who preaches the truth- We like comforting things- not warnings!
- A wise man appreciates a rebuke- Prov 9:8b, but permissiveness has raised many spoiled brats.
- The true watchman would rather face an angry church than an angry God - or angry Angel Watchman.
But if we cannot take warning - bad breath, dandruff, slipped zipper - WHAT OF SPIRITUAL THINGS?
THE WATCHMAN MUST WARN THE SLEEPY
No one likes to be awakened from a good sleep - and most churches sure are sleeping soundly!
THE WICKED MUST BE WARNED - GOD HAS COMMANDED IT, "GIVE THEM WARNING FROM ME" - 17A
- God demanded Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Ezekiel to warn the wicked - Jesus did, too! But who will do it today?
- Preachers from the liberal wing are leading civil riots, but where is John the Baptist?
- I Cor 6:9,10 is not published in the newspapers, so who will really warn the people?
THE WICKED CAN REPENT, AND CAN BE SAVED, AND GOD WILL FORGIVE, CLEANSE AND REDEEM THE WORST
- Ezek 3:28,19 the wicked perishes in sin - BUT Ezek 33:14-16 he has a chance to repent and live!
- Why hide in our churches for comfort, and not cry out against sin- not want to share heaven?
- The wicked cannot repent unless he is warned. Sin stains can only be removed by the blood of Christ.
THE WATCHMAN MUST GIVE THE PROPER WARNING IF HE WISHES TO DELIVER HIS SOUL FROM BLAME OF BLOOD
- Special judgment for watchman - or Christian who fails to warn - Arizona Law re: render aid on highways.
- I confess I lack a hard enough head- 3:9, but still I try - accused of politics, and life threatened,
- And I am not soothed by delivering my soul by warning - I want lives brought to Jesus and saved.
Some have been gloriously saved! -- And some wind up hating the watchman - but if saved, OK!
THE WATCHMAN MUST WARN THE RIGHTEOUS
Even wide-awake Christians sometimes fail to see the dangers - and when the watchman shouts, they are angry with him.
THE RIGHTEOUS NEED TO BE WARNED; EZEK 3:20 IS PLAIN, SO IF I TOUCH A TENDER SPOT, PUT IT UNDER THE BLOOD
- Little sins - omissions - lead to dangerous temptations, Ezek 33:20 don't accuse God - unfair!
- Some have walked close to the Lord- but have allowed worldly cares to break their armor.
- I Cor 10:12 "Take heed" - Salvation has assurance - but I Cor 5:5 - some die before their time.
THE RIGHTEOUS MAN CAN TURN AND COMMIT INIQUITY, AND DIE BECAUSE OF HIS SIN - EZEK 3:20A
- It is no accident to miss the way; God will warn - "stumbling block" - and man gets bitter at it!
- Harboring a non-Christian thought - attitude, act, habit - lends to a life running amok - death!
- God says - I Cor 3:17 - if you defile the temple of God (your body), He will destroy you!
EACH SOUL IS RESPONSIBLE TO A PERSONAL, LOVING, AND JUST GOD! SO HEAR THE WORD OF THE LORD!
- Blaming the watchman may get him into trouble, but it will not deliver your soul! God is just!
- Heed the message of Heb 13:17b so that I can give account with joy - for your good!
- Nothing can be hidden - Luke 12:2,3 - I can only guess- but try to be faithful - GOD KNOWS FOR SURE.
If you are a Christian, accept the chain of command in your church and be faithful to your job.
IT IS GOD THAT ASKS EACH OF US AS HE DID EZEKIEL, "HAVE YOU DELIVERED YOUR OWN SOUL?"
- If you have never realized your wickedness and turned to Christ - your soul is not delivered!
- If you have been tolerating any sin in your life - open it to Christ before gangrene sets in!
- If you would really rather deliver your soul - become a watchman - soulwinner! Help your church to give forth a certain trumpet!
The joy of hearing Jesus - "Well done" - Luke 19:17