Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
A NEW HEART FOR A NEW ERA
Nov. 19, 1967 am
MEN ARE ALWAYS TRYING TO FIND THEIR UTOPIA, BUT EVERY ATTEMPT BRINGS DEFEAT & FAILURE
The depth of Israel's fall is contrasted greatly by her previous height of Glory - why? Man falls because of sin, If Solomon did, what chance do we have? So should we not try? If god could promise a new heart and spirit to fallen Israel, can we not claim it too?
I. ISRAEL AND ALL MANKIND FAIL * UTTERLY
By the river of Babylon, they could look up and remember their former glory- what a fall
A. THE THEOCRACY OF ISRAEL FELL (17-19) The greatest government possible to men
- The glory of Moses, Samuel, David, Solomon - the beautiful Temple, God dwelling in Glory
- But because of sinfulness this government fell, Idolatry, Intrigue, captivity, slavery
- Ezekiel the priest stood by River Chebar and ministered to Displaced Persons - slaves
B. EVERY SYSTEM OF GOVERNMENT DEVISED BY MEN HAS FALLEN, AND EVERY NEW ONE WILL ALSO New Deal
- Atlantis, Plato's Republic, Rome's Democracy, Mein Kamp, Das Capital, Technocracy, Great Society
- Even Christian governments have failed to succeed - Germany, Jamestown, Puritans,
- The reason is that man still is a sinner, and prone to sin- Original Sin & Satan's Snare
C. BUT GOD PROMISED TO SANCTIFY HIS NAME (24) HE WILL CLEAR HIS NAME OF ALL BLAME & GET GLORY
- God could do it by punishing the sinner- the Judgments of God, and eternal hell
- Man is to blame for the the fall, not God! We are not fatalists, but are to fight nature
- Instead of destroying us, God has a unique way of getting glory- SALVATION FOR SINNERS
The more terrible the sin, the greater the grace, and God will save to the Uttermost!
II. GOD PROMISES A NEW HEART * COMPLETELY
Since man has never been able to raise himself above Satan's power, God provides the way
A. GOD PROMISED A RESTORATION TO THE PROMISED LAND (24) A SPIRITUAL PRINCIPLE FOR US TOO!
- Israel was scattered wide, and this promise was a physical, actual restoration to Palestine
- It was fulfilled then, fulfilled again, and Egypt can't believe it, & Israel is in unbelief
- Sometimes God gives material possessions when we earn them, but this took more than earning
B. GOD PROMISED A CLEANSING (25) WITH A NATION FILLED WITH THE FILTH OF SIN THIS IS IMPORTANT
- The Sprinkling is taken from Num 19, the Ordinance of the Red Heifer, to cleanse from Sin
- This time God did it Himself- the Captivity cleaned up their idols, troubles purify.
- The symbols- of Baptism, Sprinkling Blood on Mercy Seat, The Blood of Christ cleans all sin
C. GOD PROMISED A NEW HEART AND SPIRIT (26,7) NEW DESIRE TO KEEP AND POWER TO OBEY LAW
- They had never walked long in His Statutes, the trouble of sin touched every life & age
- In Ezek 18:31 God commanded them to Repent, and to leave sin, and make self a new heart!
- But the only way- Ezek 36:26 is if God does it Himself- God must and will give new heart
John 1:13 to be a new person, be born of God, II Cor 5:17- a new creature in Christ Jesus
III. THE PROMISE IS FULFILLED YET MORE TO COME
God has not finished His work of Grace yet; we have part, and best is yet to come
A. ISRAEL RETURNED TO THE LAND, HAD A NEW LEASE ON BLESSINGS, BUT WAS NOT PERFECT AND SO FELL
- Ezra and Nehemiah had revivals, rebuilt the temple, and sin led to Greek & Roman captivity
- But in the land, the people heard about Jesus. Some believed & were saved; some crucified Him
- Acts 2:17- Peter declared that God was fulfilling - gift of new Spirit, v.21- Salvation
B. THOSE WHO WERE SAVED WERE MADE SAINTS, BUT STILL WERE NOT ABLE TO WALK IN PERFECT RIGHTEOUSNESS
- Paul was plain to declare that he was not perfect- Phil 3:12, Church in Corinth proved it!
- I work mainly with Saints, & we are not saintly! Harder you work, the more you get criticized
- I Cor 13:9,10,12- It is no amazement that the world cannot govern self, if Church can't without fighting
C. GOD GIVES US THE DOWN PAYMENT, AND REGULAR PAYMENTS, BUT THE INHERITANCE COMES LATER
- For those who receive Jesus as Saviour- we receive the new heart-earnest of Spirit Eph 1;13,4
- But we must also do our part- Eph 4:22,3,4- and put on the new man & off the old man ourselves
- To do this we must study the word, strive to live Godly, resist the Devil, & work hard
But we won't completely make it until - I John 3:2, we see Him, and are made like him- Rom 8:18-23- the redemption of the body-
ACCEPT WHAT GOD HAS FOR YOU TODAY!
If you do not have desire (food) you are dead, no spiritual desire- Spiritual death
The only way to get a new heart is to receive Jesus Christ as Saviour
The only way to receive power to be victorious- is to use what is available in Christ
But keep humble, and keep up hope- the final fulfillment is yet to come- so pray- Come quickly, Lord Jesus