Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
HOW JESUS USED THE BIBLE
Jan 10, 1971 am
THE GOSPELS PRESENT A SAVIOUR THAT LOVES AND UNDERSTANDS THE HEART OF EVERY MAN AND WOMAN
- Matthew- King; Mark- Servant; Luke- Son of man; John- Son of God, but all present Jesus Christ
- Before Jesus could be our Saviour He had to know and understand our problems and how to win out
- The school that Jesus attended taught Him the Scriptures - He used them to face every temptation
After 40 days of spiritual exercise, He faced the expert of seduction and fought him down.
TEMPTATION FOLLOWS A PATTERN
There is nothing new under the sun; it's just that in our ignorance we have no inoculation.
WHEN EVE WAS TEMPTED IN THE GARDEN OF EDEN, SATAN TEMPTED HER TO SIN IN THREE AREAS - GEN 3:6
- "Good for food" - Physical - like Nathan's parable - lots of food okat, then why choose the one forbidden?
- "Pleasant to the eyes" - Social - a lot of temptations today enter the eye gate - Madison Avenue - poisons
- "To be desired" - Spiritual - to be wise is desired - to be our best - BUT, pride can lead to death
JOHN THE BELOVED KNEW SATAN'S METHODS AND WARNED AGAINST THE THREE-FOLD TEMPTATION OF THE WORLD - I JOHN 2:16
- The lust of the flesh - Physical - natural appetites run amok to unnatural lusts - sin and death.
- The lust of the eyes - Social - the door to men's lust is the eye gate, and women know it! Contributing!
- The pride of life - Spiritual - spiritual pride may look good - but Pharisees sin - hypocrites today, too.
JESUS WAS TEMPTED IN THE SAME THREE AREAS THAT TEMPT EVERY MAN; ALL HAVE ONE, HE HAD ALL THREE
- Matt 4:3 - Stones to bread - physical food - another time and place He fed many - but appetite controls.
- Matt 4:5,6 - Cast Yourself down and be rescued - social honor - we all need attention? "Hey look!" leads to sin.
- Matt 4:8,9 - Secret worship of Satan - spiritual power by treason - Job worried about his kids - sin of the heart?
These temptations were very real to Jesus - things He wanted - and they are real to YOU, but?
JESUS MET TEMPTATION WITH SCRIPTURE
- The basis of every temptation is our lack of faith in God's word - promises and warnings!
JESUS WAS TRULY HUNGRY, BUT NO FOOD OR SUGGESTION FROM THE TEMPTER IS GOOD FOR ANY OF US
- Satan used "If" to dare, to say, "Prove it!" - Jesus could do it - but this was wrong time, wrong place, and wrong motive.
- Jesus used Deut 8:3 - and hunger has a place in nature's plan - God can teach us in humility!
- Jesus would rather feed on God's word than to feast on Satan's subtle suggestion - and you?
JESUS TRULY WANTED MEN TO FOLLOW HIM, TO BELIEVE IN HIM, BUT IN GOD'S WAY, NOT BY SATAN'S
- Satan used scripture - Psa 91:11-12 - his quote? Definitely misapplication - do evil for good?
- Jesus countered with Deut 6:16 - it is not right to satisfy our doubts with tricks from God!
- There are no shortcuts to gain honor from God or men - both will honor obedience and work.
JESUS WAS BORN TO BE KING OVER ALL THE EARTH, BUT MADE KING BY GOD, NOT BY SATAN IN HIS TIME
- Do you doubt Satan's ability to deliver this? John 12:31 "Prince of this world" -
- The stakes were high - secret treason and public worship NOW- good thing Jesus was not in a hurry.
- Again scripture - Deut 10:20 (word - 'fear,' means worship) We are to submit to God - resist Satan
Afterwards Jesus received the sweet ministry of angels - mystery, but sweet and precious.
WE CAN FOLLOW THE STEPS OF JESUS
We can have the angels' sweet ministry too, if we will follow His steps of self-sacrifice!
TO FOLLOW JESUS, WE MUST KNOW HIM - HEB 4:14-16 GIVES US GREAT PRIVILEGES, IF WE DESERVE THEM.
- Do you have a profession of faith to hold fast to? Will you stand and say "I am a Christian?"
- Our High Priest knows exactly how it feels to be tempted - v.15, so go to Him, He will help
- When you fail, or need help, come boldly to God's throne - v.16 - but do you know the way?
TO FOLLOW JESUS WE MUST TAKE THE PATH THAT HE MAKES AVAILABLE - I COR 10:13 WAY OF ESCAPE
- There is hypocrisy in adults and youth (alcohol-marijuana), each uses other as excuse to sin - hah!
- We need people not only to confess Jesus, but to claim His way of personal holiness today!
- Holy living will be blessed; sinful living will be blasted! God is in no hurry - but surefire.
SOON AFTER THE GREAT TEMPTATION, JESUS ADVANCED WITH TWO GREAT MESSAGES - HEAR THEM NOW!
- Matt 4:17 "Repent" - The world today is in a mess - but this YOU CAN DO! Will you do it?
- Matt 4:19 "Follow Me" - The world is Hell-bound - but you can follow Jesus if you want to!
- Matt 4:19b "I will make you fishers of men" - if you follow Him, this will happen! Did He lie?
Jesus used the scriptures as a strong sword against temptation and had great victory!
GOD HAS GIVEN YOU THE SAME POWERS FOR VICTORY THAT JESUS HAD, BUT WILL YOU USE WEAPONS?
- Confess Christ by faith - Say to the world, "I am a Christian" - and be baptized to prove it!
- Put God's Word into action in your life - by faith try yourself by the Word - see God work!
- The final test is whether or not you are fishing for men- choose the best gifts and be blessed!