Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
THE SIGN OF MELCHIZEDEK
May 25, 1969 pm
HERE IS A PICTURE WINDOW IN ETERNITY, AS ABRAM MET A REAL MAN OF GOD
- Here is one of the most mysterious men of all history- mentioned only in the Bible- briefly
- This event happened in the life of Abram about 1970 BC- a flash of lightning
- With all its mystery, we have the privilege of joining this eternal priesthood- and being a part of the Royal Priesthood of Melchizedek
I. A MEETING WITH THE KING OF PEACE
It's strange that it takes war to bring out peace
A. HERE IS THE STORY OF THE RETURN FROM THE FIRST WAR RECORDED IN GOD'S WORD
- Four kings fought against five, in the valley of Siddim- 10 slime pits- sacked Sodom
- Abram went out to rescue Lot- v.14 and he did so like a military genius- no pacifist he-
- On his way home from the victorious battle, he met the most mysterious figure of history
B. AND MELCHIZEDEK KING OF SALEM BROUGHT FORTH BREAD AND WINE v.18a
- The name- Melchizedek- means King of Righteousness - and this is an admirable goal for any
- His city- Salem - "Peace" made him King of Peace - probably the city of Jerusalem
- Abram did not meet him until he came back victorious from a war- no peace without victory.
C. AND HE WAS THE PRIEST OF THE MOST HIGH GOD v.18b
- The name for God shown here is El Elyon - the Most High- God of creation, possessor of heaven and earth
- Abram worshipped Jehovah - LORD - a picture of a Covenant God- more pertaining to Israel
- The Targum of Jonathan says that Melchizedek was Shem, son of Noah-? He was Semite - (name)
But here is a man outside the physical lineage of Christ - a Gentile king VIP to God
II. WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THE TITHE? 19,20
We might not consider the tithe as very important, but Christ did, The Word shows it!
A. MELCHIZEDEK BLESSED ABRAM WHEN HE MET HIM
- He brought bread and wine - to feed his troops, but the symbolism cannot be cast aside
- He blessed Abram, and pronounced the blessing of God upon him - the act of a minister of God
- He gave Abram a new name for God- that Abram was impressed with - 19a & 22
B. ABRAM GAVE HIM TITHES OF ALL 20b
- Here is an ancient rite, existing before the Law of Moses - Tithing is not of the Law!
- If Abram had enough knowledge of spiritual things to know of this, we also should study it
- Many times we miss the blessing of God because we miss His formula for success- Tithing
C. THE TITHE WAS SO WELL UNDERSTOOD THAT IT DID NOT HAVE TO BE EXPLAINED
- When Jacob fled for his life- he saw God, and made a promise to God- Gen 28:20-32
- When Malachi brought the O.T. to an end, he summarized the door of Blessing - Mal 3:10
- When Jesus spoke of and to the Pharisees- the only thing he commended them for was - Matt 23:23
Study carefully the "Stewardship In Action" tract- and others- Try it and see for yourself
III. THE PRIESTHOOD OF MELCHIZEDEK, SYMBOL OF CHRIST
Psalms 110:4 - a mystery Psalm, throwing in a deeper mystery- a special priesthood for Christ
A. THROUGHOUT THE BIBLE, MELCHISEDEK IS REGARDED AS A MYSTERY MAN See Hebrews 7
- V.1 - He met Abraham and blessed him - can you imagine the assumed power of God here?
- V.2 - Abraham tithed to him- Abraham gave him that which belonged to God - respect
- V.3 - This verse is even more mysterious- without father or mother? Means not recorded?
B. MELCHIZEDEK REPRESENTED A ROYAL PRIESTHOOD HIGHER THAN THE ORDER OF LEVITES
- The logic used in Hebrews, don't argue with it- v.5 Levites take tithes from people for God
- But in Abraham, the Levites paid tithes to Melchizedek- a higher priesthood than Levites-
- This is indeed strange, that a gentile king should be so considered in Hebrews - to Jews
C. JESUS IS A HIGH PRIEST AFTER THE ORDER OF MECHIZEDEK, Heb 6:20
- Cf Heb 5:5-10 -In a mysterious way, this ancient king was a symbol for Christ-
- Cf Heb 6:20 - Again it is noted, a priest forever-
- As a Christian, and as a Gentile- look at I Pet 2:5,9 our calling as a high priest-
How are you fulfilling your calling which you have in Christ?
WE HAVE OFFERED TO MORTAL MAN THE HIGHEST PRIESTHOOD KNOWN IN ALL HISTORY- WILL YOU TAKE IT?
- There is only one way to receive the priesthood- that is through Jesus Christ-
- If you have never received Christ, do so now! Join this mysterious priesthood
- If you are a Christian- how well are you exercising your duties as such a priest? -Righteousness, Peace, Prayer and Supplication - Giving Hope