Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
LOVE AND FOUR WIVES
Sep 7, 1969 pm
THERE ARE MORE JOKES ABOUT MARRIAGE - GREATER JOY AND GREATER HEARTACHE - THAN ANY OTHER HUMAN REPLATIONSHIP
- Life is full of very interesting problems, some we laugh about later- if we survive them
- Some today would want to excuse their sinful lives by pointing to a sin in lives of others- Bible
- We need to carefully evaluate the foundations of our social structure lest it crumble
One of the most accepted truths needs study- Monogamy vs. Polygamy
I. THE TRICKSTER GOT TRICKED Gen 29&30
We can laugh at the poetic justice involved in this, but be careful lest we do the same
A. MAYBE JACOB USED THE WRONG APPROACH TO ROMANCE, COURTSHIP, AND MARRIAGE
- He kissed Rachel the first time he met her- v.11, a costly custom modern science eliminated- drat
- He fell in love with her very quickly- love at first sight is always dangerous, sometimes good
- He arranged to work seven years for her and loved her so much the time went fast - v.20
B. BUT THE TRICKSTER HIMSELF GOT TRICKED ON HIS MARRIAGE NIGHT - AND WHAT A TRICK
- When the wedding was over, he woke up with the weak-eyed sister - Leah- what a shock to him
- Why did he not notice the trick at the wedding?? Study- puzzle - but know the joke on him
- So the next week v.27 he married Rachel- and worked seven years more for her- God approved??
C. THE BIG TROUBLE WAS ONLY STARTING FOR THIS SMART MAN WHO LIVED BY HIS WITS WHETHER RIGHT OR NOT
- Rachel gave him her maid - Bilhah, 30:3, then Leah gave him Zilpah 30:9- so he had four wives.
- They even traded and bartered for his affection like fish-wives arguing over a fish- 30:14 -
- Though God tolerated it, nowhere did He give it His blessing, nor sanction polygamy
We can expect our wild society today to try even this- it is prophesied- Isa 4:1 -
II. WHAT IS GOD'S PLAN IN MARRIAGE???
In the age of clouded morality, confused issues, crumbling institutions- we need answers
A. GOD SHOWED HIS PLAN FOR ALL MANKIND IN HIS CREATION OF ADAM AND EVE AND MEN CORRUPTED IT
- Gen 2:18 not good for man to be alone- a helpmate needed, a companion to walk with - love
- Gen 2:23-25 show the tenderness of the relationship between Adam and Eve- under God's eye
- It is man's traditions that throw in a dark-haired first wife name "Lilith" - shocking gossip
B. THE NEW TESTAMENT SUPPORTS GOD'S SPECIAL PLAN FOR THE SANCTITY OF MARRIAGE
- I Tim 4:3, 5:13, Heb. 13:4 show God's command, His will, and approval of marriage
- Matt 19:5-9 give more detail of God's plan, and He did not add divorce as His good will
- I Tim 2:2, 11, 12 plainly give the rule for pastors and deacons- less for any else- NO!
C. GOD MAY HAVE TOLERATED DEVIATIONS FROM HIS PERFECT PLAN FOR MANKIND, BUT NEVER BLESSED THEM
- Abraham fell into Sarah's plan with Hagar, and later married Keturah- troubles still going
- David and Solomon had absolute power, and with it- wives, concubines, slaves- and troubles
- I Kings 11:1, 4, 9 show the corruption of a wise, good man through disobedience in this area
I Cor 7:9 "Better to marry than to burn" is only a part of the reason for marriage -
III. WE NEED TO KNOW GOD'S PLAN FOR MARRIAGE
Satan is attacking the very foundation of our civilization- poor marriages, divorce, & worse
A. YOUNG PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW HOW TO GET MARRIED IN THE WILL OF GOD FOR A LIFE OF HAPPINESS
- If you don't plan on getting married, don't act like it- Prov 6:27, purity helps- not hinders
- Enjoy your youth- recognize infatuation as a passing fancy, be an example of a believer
- Real love must be built on mutual respect and obedience of God's law- choose your love carefully
B. ADULTS NEED TO KNOW HOW TO STAY MARRIED AND TO MAKE LIFE A JOY INSTEAD OF SADNESS IN MARRIAGE
- You have chosen your love, now love your choice- spend as much to stay married as to get there
- Marriage can make a heaven on earth- or a hell- depends on how you work at it- divorce is failure
- There is nothing more beautiful than a couple walking together in God's will- I Pet 3:7-10
C. TRUE MARRIAGE IS IMPOSSIBLE WITHOUT RECOGNIZING GOD'S SACRED PLAN FOR YOUR LIFE Eph 5:32
- Marriage in trouble can wreck your relationship with Christ, and backsliding leads to trouble
- Jesus wants to love us, cleanse us, and make us glorious - let Him - Eph 5:25-27
- When Jesus proposes to your soul- will you say yes? Will you be true to Him?
If you have missed the road of happiness the only way back is on your knees with the Lord
WILL YOU LET GOD GUIDE YOU INTO THIS MOST SACRED OF ALL HUMAN RELATIONSHIPS?
- Say "Yes" to the One Who is the Lover of your soul- and become a part of His Bride-
- Let God guide you into the proper spiritual partnership with Him, and with His choice
- If you get into trouble, come back to the only One who can truly mend hearts- Jesus Christ!