Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
THE HARVEST OF SITUATION MORALS
Oct 5, 1969 pm
HERE IS THE ETHIC DEGENERATION OF A MAN WHO HAD SEEN THE FACE OF GOD, NOW IS FALLEN
- This terrible chapter not often preached on, but in our fear of it we fail to warn of death
- With riots, strikes, hippies, filthy movies, obscene pictures common in our society-danger
- Today's Behavioristic Psychologists tell us that theft murder, rape- come from Body Chemistry
Ours is a twisted age, and unless we wise up and repent, it will kill us
I. OLD-FASHIONED IMMORALITY LED TO DEATH
After a tremendous spiritual victory comes a terrible temptation and Jacob fell on his face
A. GRAVE DANGER (33:18-20) Jacob moved close to the city, and even had an altar, in dangerous place
- What good is a nice home in a great city if the schools and churches corrupt our youth?
B. THE GREAT DISASTER (1,2) The inevitable results of a lack of spiritual advance is sin
- This is the only daughter- Leah's she went out to see the daughters of the land -
- The world "defiled" in v.5,13,27 is the same word used for desecration of God's Temple
C. THE UNEXPECTED OFFER (v.3-12) Shechem, the unsaved gentile, was more honorable than Dinah
- The big question, why did Jacob hold his peace- seeking peace at any price denies it
D. THE UNWORTHY PRETEXT (v.13-17) These boys pretended to be interested in doing right
E. THE TRUSTWORTHY ACCEPTANCE (v.18-24) the heathen are willing to convert for material gain
F. THE TREACHEROUS ACTION (v.25-29) Jacob's sons used religion as a cloak for vengeance-
- The Canaanites were murdered, their property stolen, their little ones and wives taken
G. THE SUPREME REBUKE (v.30-31) Jacob at last rebukes his children- too long delayed to save
Many years later Jacob still remembered the heartache of this event- 49:6,7
II. WORLDLINESS IS A SUBTLE FOG HIDING DEATH
There are many spiritual lessons to learn from this chapter that are general in scope
A. WORLDINESS IS A REAL PERIL THAT CANNOT BE ESCAPED BY BEING QUIET ABOUT IT
- It is easy to ridicule Biblical Morality as narrow, straight laced, puritanical, unreasonable
- The difference between the 2nd & 3rd century / 4th & 5th - Constantine, patronage, worldliness
- Worldliness is hard to define as a fog, but it is deadly, poisonous to the soul- and to body
B. WORLDLINESS PREVENTS THE REAL BLESSINGS AND JOYS AS IT FALSELY PROMISES PRESENT FUN
- Worldliness in desire led to Jacob's danger, disaster, and eventually made him again a fugitive
- It is actually dangerous for a person to live by a backslidden Christian - this case- deadly
- The church can not say "Silver and gold have I none," nor "Rise up and walk" - Acts 3:6
C. WORLDLINESS CAN BE CURED ONLY BY SEPARATION OF HEART FROM WORLDLY LUSTS & DESIRES
- Jesus in his prayer in John 17 prayed, recognized we are in the world, not of the world
- The principles, ideals, methods of Christianity cannot be mixed with the worldly ways
- If a person loves God, the same is known of him- we must love God- not the world- I John 2:15
But we are under attack today from every direction to get us to adopt the world's morals
III. THE NEW MORALITY IS THE OLD IMMORALITY- writ large!
A wave of impure hedonism- has swept our churches, schools, clubs - life's goal: pleasure!
A. THE "SITUATIONAL ETHICS" SUBTITUTES A RELATIVE MORALITY FOR WHAT "THUS SAITH THE LORD"
- The open discussion of moral problems is encouraged to minimize conflict- escape war (surrender)
- In our age the girls have taken the sexual offensive - they have lost modesty- now chase boys
- Built on a false emergency- youth is told to live it up now - for tomorrow you die -NOW!
B. THERE IS NO WAY FOR A PARENT, OR A CHILD, TO ESCAPE FACING THIS BATTLE - ONLY DEATH BRINGS PEACE
- The new morality of modern theology- anti puritan- has invaded former soulwinning groups
- The secular philosophy - Playboy Era - is being shouted from radio, TV - pure animalism
- To join it is death, to hide - head in sand (Jacob's way), must be fought- fire burns!
C. CONCERNED, THINKING CHRISTIANS WHO LOVE THE LORD JESUS CHRIST WILL NOT BE FOOLED
- Reason it out- consider the cost, don't break your self against God's law, don't hurt others
- Realize the fact of daily temptation- life is a battle- flee youthful lusts- serve God
- Remember the sacredness of your person- your body, your sexuality has a purpose- keep it!
We have many people, young and old, who are walking true to the Lord, and are happy
BUT THIS DECISION OF PERSONAL PURITY IS MORE PERSONALLY YOURS THAN ANY OTHERS
- No other person can receive Jesus Christ for you, or be saved for you- ARE YOU A CHRISTIAN?
- No other person can resolve to keep your purity for God's Glory- you alone can do this
- To keep your mind and body pure for a holy temple for God is a battle, but so satisfying.