Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
REVIVAL IN THE CAMP
Oct 12, 1969 pm
WE SERVE A KIND AND LOVING GOD THAT USES EVERY MEANS TO DRAW US BACK TO HIMSELF
- In this chapter is a new revelation of God- three deaths, a case of incestuous sin-
- But through the deep lessons of death and sorrow through sin, God works His will in our lives
- We need revival, and the principles of revival are shown here - revival is God's work - not prayed down or worked up by man
But let's be sure to do our part so God can bless!
I. AN URGENT CALL TO BETHEL Gen 35:1
Jacob was only 30 miles from Bethel, and there he sat for 10 years until a move was forced
A. THERE IS ONLY ONE PLACE TO REALLY FIND GOD, AND BE IN CLOSE FELLOWSHIP WITH HIM
- At Shechem- Jacob lived by the world - enjoying its pleasures of sin, and paying a terrible price
- God sent trouble to disturb him, so that he could not be too comfortable -get him moving
- God will not let the Christian rest in disobedience - and God will call the Christian home
B. BUT THERE IS PREPARATION THAT MUST BE MADE TO MEET GOD, JACOB KNEW HE MUST BE RID OF SIN v.2,4
- There is a spiritual preparation- to get rid of Idols-, and many today have idols, too.
- The personal cleansing- and change of garments the symbol of turning over a new leaf in life
- They also gave up their earrings- (their worldliness?) and Jacob hid them under the tree
C. THE REMARKABLE JOURNEY BACK TO THE PLACE WHERE JACOB HAD MET GOD YEARS BEFORE v.5
- Even when Jacob was in disobedience, God watched over him and gave certain help- protection
- The fear of the enemy made Jacob move- God used the penalty of his sin to chase him back
- The fear of God kept his enemy neighbors from attacking him - the sovereignty of God- amazing
Are you listening so that God can call you home? Some are spiritually deaf - are you?
II. THE PRICE OF BLESSING - BETHEL v.6-13
It is so wonderful to be in the place where God wants you to be, and to know it.
A. SO JACOB CAME TO LUZ, WHICH IS IN THE LAND OF CANAAN - THAT IS BETHEL! v.6
- The spiritual sincerity of Jacob once he heard God is amazing- he journeyed straight through
- "And all the people," - like a good shepherd he brought them all through to the place of blessing
- There were differing memories of this place- met God - v.7, Deborah died- v.8 time uncertain
B. AS JACOB ARRIVED AT BETHEL HE WAS PROMPT TO DO WHAT HE KNEW GOD WANTED HIM TO DO - v.7
- Jacob built an altar there- The Christian must have an altar- within the heart- God speaks
- He called the name of the altar - to the God of the House of God - "EL" - he knew God
- The reason Jacob built an altar there- because God appeared to him here - we need this, too.
C. JACOB RECIEVED A NEW REVELATION OF GOD AS HE CAME BACK TO BETHEL AGAIN v. 9-13
- The word again - v.9 pictures reconciliation again - a reconciliation accomplished- God spoke
- The repetition of the name change form Jacob to Israel- v.9 - Reminder - There is a new name-
- The revelation of God - v.10 El Shaddai - like Abraham 17:1 - The Bountiful God of Blessings
Again the linkage of the patriarchs is reestablished and drawn tight-
III. THE MEMORIAL OF GOD'S GRACE Gen 35:14,15
v.13 God went up after talking with Jacob-Israel- now was his time to act in grace.
A. GOD'S GREAT LOVE IS SHOWN IN HIS TENDER CARE FOR JACOB
- While Jacob was away from the perfect will of God, he was not forgotten- God called him back
- God worked in the reality of circumstances to bring him back - even his enemies helped in God's plan
- Old lessons must be repeated, and we must return to first laid principles of God's grace
B. GOD'S GREAT JUSTICE IS NOT VIOLATED BY THE ACTION OF HIS GRACE
- In bringing Jacob back, God made provision for sin- provision to pardon it, and separate from it.
- Jacob had not done his part in obedience to God, so God helped him- made him obey
- God's method of recall- rebound principle- is to bounce us hard- Repent and do first works
C. GOD'S REMARKABLE AND MARVELOUS GRACE TO A HARD-HEARTED SINNER
- It is true that failure and backsliding keep us from being where God wants us to be - so human
- At the same time, God's grace begins to work wonders to draw us back - listen to God
- As God accepts our repentance after forcing us to do it - gives us a new chance- do better, child.
Later Bethel became a schismatic altar, but now it means back to God's house
WILL YOU LISTEN TO THE VOICE OF GOD THROUGH CIRCUMSTANCES SO THAT GOD CAN BLESS YOU?
- God wants absolute surrender to His will- and He will not stop pushing until He gets it.
- Will you follow God's leadership willingly, or will you wait for Him to chase you to it?
- Why not turn your back on your camp by the world - and journey by faith to Bethel?