Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
Gen. 37 ff
ONE MAN AGAINST THE WORLD, BUT HIS FAITH HELD OUT
Jan. 15, 1967
HERE IS A MAN THAT FACED EVERY OPPOSITION IN DISCOURAGEMENT OF THE WORLD, YET WON
In the face of great difficulties, Joseph lived the life of faith- no record of doubt. In the face of great temptations, and an open door to sin, he said "NO". This is the answer to today's moral weaklings- man does not have to live like an animal.
In the face of great power and wealth, he did not forget his family, or his God-
JOSEPH IS A PICTURE OF A TEENAGER WHO MADE GOOD- AND OLD TESTAMENT TYPE OF CHRIST JESUS
There are more different kinds of test thrown at him than any other Old Testament Saint- and he passed. He could have given into any of them, and been excused by today's standards, but he did not. He claimed faith in a God that cared for him, and he led a pure life rather than sin against Him.
Let's take a look at the eight tests that were thrown against him in his life
I. THE TEST OF HATE Gen 37:5 HIS BROTHERS HATED HIM TO THE POINT OF MURDER
- God gave him a vision of his future, his brothers hated the "dreamer" for telling them
- He told them- matter of fact-, but they misunderstood and hated him the more for it
- It would have been easy to return hate, but instead he took time to serve them
- It is not easy to be hated, and to continue to be faithful to God, but we need to do it too.
II. THE TEST OF DOUBT Gen 37:20 GOD LET HIM DOWN, AND HE WAS SOLD FROM HIS LAND
- What emotions must have passed his mind as he was in the pit then sold into slavery
- God promised him in his dreams that he would be a sovereign, but he would become a slave
- We do little, and expect so much from God- but no record of him charging God foolishly
- Even as a slave he was so grateful that he soon became head of his Masters house- 39:4
III. THE TEST OF MORALITY Gen 39:7 - HIS MASTER'S WIFE OFFERED HERSELF, TRIED TO FORCE HIM
- Tempted by the desire of the flesh, opportunity, command, terrible penalty if he did not
- Perhaps she even was subtle- see how your God has deserted you- why still serve Him?
- His answer "How could I sin against God?" - today's new morality has no answer for this!
IV. THE TEST OF DESPAIR Gen 39:20 HIS REWARD FOR BEING TRUE- THE KING'S PRISON HOUSE
- Psalms 105:18 tells of his hurt. Instead of being blessed- he was punished- would you quit?
- There is no record that he lost his faith- instead he created the right to be in charge.
V. THE TEST OF RESENTMENT Gen 40:23 ONE HE HELPED PROMISED TO AID HIM, AND FORGOT HIM
- He went about doing to all what good he could 40:8 and gave God the glory for it
- He was also promised help, but then forgotten, he did not resent, but kept faith two more years
- When called before pharaoh he did not complain, but again he did faithfully his job
VI, THE TEST OF SUCCESS AND AN EXALTED POSITION Gen 41:40 FAST PROMOTION TO PRIME MINISTER
- Some can be true to God when they are poor but not when they are rich- tithe pennies not dollars
- Now he has honor, power, wealth, but he uses it for the nation's good, and honors God
- No modern economics here- they work their way through hardship and God saved Egypt
- Because of the faithfulness of Joseph God spared Egypt, and reunited Israel's family
VII. THE TEST OF ABSOLUTE AUTHORITY 42:8 HE NOW COULD AVENGE HIMSELF OVER HIS BROTHERS
- He was the absolute authority, and his brothers were coming to him begging for food
- He tested them, but without vengeance; entrapped them to see if their thoughts were still evil
- In a grand climax he revealed himself to them, and forgave all for God's purpose - 45:5
VIII. THE TEST OF FAME AND FUTURE GREATNESS Gen 50:24,5 "DON'T LEAVE ME IN EGYPT"
- The climax of his life of faith- he choose Canaan rather than Egypt- and a pyramid
- His faith in the resurrection- he wanted to be where God wanted him to be
- His faith became the hope for the Hebrews through many dark years that they would return to the land that God had given them- and that they had deserted. This hope made a nation
WE NEED SOME PEOPLE WITH THE FAITH OF JOSEPH IN TODAY'S WORLD FOR WE FACE A FAMINE
- Our lawlessness and anarchy has opened the door to great sin to all who will
- America's only hope is that some will not fail these tests today, but will trust God
- If Joseph as a teenager- to an old man- could have had such faith- why can't you?
YOU CAN HAVE JOSEPH'S FAITH, AND PERHAPS EVEN JOSEPH'S SUCCESS IF YOU WILL ONLY BELIEVE
You need to believe that it is far better to be right with God then with all mankind
Believe that your purpose is to serve and serve with mankind for God's glory
You need to believe that a heavenly promise is better than all the earthly palaces and make your life faithful to God.