Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
PHARAOH'S POVERTY PROGRAM
Nov 16, 1969 pm
THROUGHOUT HISTORY GOD'S WORD CONTAINS PRINCIPLES FOR EVERY NEED OF MAN
- The Book of Genesis shows how God saved Egypt from a great famine by sending Joseph as slave
- The terrible events in Joseph's life also were used to deliver Israel from starvation
- It could be that God is looking somewhere for someone to save America today- who?
Would you have anything to do with him if God did put His hand on a man?
I. JOSEPH'S RISE TO POWER THROUGH DREAMS
We are too particular just how we choose who will be allowed to play on our team- God chooses!
A. PHARAOH'S SPIRIT WAS TROUBLED BY A STRANGE DREAM AND GOD CALLED JOSEPH OUT OF PRISON 1-13
- The repetition of a dream, slightly different- (Gospel needs repeating) disturbed Pharaoh
- The troubled spirit - We try to avoid all troubles, but it is troubles that discipline us.
- The chief butler finally remembered- in God's time v.9, we must not rush God, be true as waiting
B. THE REVELATION OF THE DREAMS WERE GIVEN BY JOSEPH, AND GOD DELIVERED HIS MESSAGE 14-13
- Joseph prepared himself for Pharaoh - v.14- we need preparation- time spent to get ready to work
- The dream was told- v.17-24- and God has given us warnings of the events' shadows beforehand
- The dream was interpreted easily- 25-36 and what to do to avoid the famine was detailed!
C. JOSEPH WAS APPOINTED TO SAVE THE NATION FROM THE PROPHESIED FAMINE 37-44
- Pharaoh accepted the message as from God- and set Joseph over the program- v38 who else?
- Pharaoh by His authority appointed Joseph as a leader that none but he could question - v.40,44
- Joseph put into practice the method he suggested to Pharaoh and taxed all 20% gain
It is rare that a person is allowed to deliver a terrible warning, then work out the problem
II. JOSEPH IS A PICTURE OF CHRIST
Joseph was raised up to save Israel, and the salvation of Egypt - (gentiles) was a benefit, too
A. JOSEPH WAS TO OPEN THE ROYAL STOREHOUSES BY THE ROYAL ORDER OF THE KING -
- The only way anyone could approach the king was through Joseph- v.55, John 14:6 - God & Jesus
- The king commanded that Joseph be obeyed by all people - 44, and so in N.T. - John 5:23
- No other person could open the storehouses of food- John 3:35 and Jesus opens God's Grace to all
B. JOSEPH WAS A FIT PERSON TO COMMAND THE PROGRAM, AND WISE ENOUGH TO DO A GOOD JOB
- He planned and controlled the storehouses - 33-36, 38, God's spirit dwells in Jesus in special way
- He carried out orders- gathered corn as sand- so Jesus has grace and salvation enough for all
- He did his work on a grand scale - v.49 every city in Egypt was surrounded with grain
C. JOSEPH OPENED THE STOREHOUSES AND FED THE PEOPLE SO THAT NONE HAD TO STARVE - FED ALL
- The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ is sufficient to a vail for every person
- The way was kept open for all- and no one was denied their right to purchase grain
- Especially was done for Israel- 15:5, but the multitudes of Egypt were helped, too.
God has planned plenty of grace for all, but many refuse to come to the storehouses- starve
III. JOSEPH'S MANAGEMENT OF THE GRAIN
As a faithful steward, Joseph managed the grain so that Pharaoh wound up as owner of all Egypt
A. WHEN THE GREAT FAMINE CAME INTO THE LAND, JOSEPH USED THE TAXED GRAIN TO BUY THE PEOPLE Ch. 47
- There was no bread in the land, and the people faced a total famine but for Joseph's grain 13
- Joseph made them bring in all their money to buy food- v. 14, and soon he had all the money
- And so with the cattle- v.17, then with their land v.20, and, at their suggestion- them - v.18
B. ALL THE PEOPLE AND PROPERTY IN EGYPT CAME TO BELONG TO THE PHARAOH OF JOSEPH, AND HE LED THEM
- Joseph gave them seed to plant- and sent them out on their old land to harvest - 23
- He charged them a continuing tax of 20% of their increase v.24- highest rate to charge
- The people were glad that they found grace in Joseph's sight - and served- 25
C. CAN WE NOT BE AS WISE AS JOSEPH IN OUR SERVICE OF OUR LIVING GOD? DOES GOD EXPECT LESS THAN PHARAOH?
- There is a famine in the land- of the Word of God - and the people do not even know that they starve
- We can witness and testify of what God has done for us, and win souls to Christ the Saviour
- Then God can have the tithes of the people, money and lives- not for us, but for our Lord
Joseph never forgot that he worked for Pharaoh - and that the purpose was to save Israel
DO WE HAVE THE DISCIPLINE TO TRUST GOD, SERVE HIM WITH FAITHFULNESS AS JOSEPH DID?
- What you gather into the storehouse belongs to God- will you gather souls for Him?
- The world taxes 20% as the Biblical standard show here- but God asks a tithe - will you?
- No matter what the emergency, God will send wisdom to do the right thing- will you trust and obey Him?