Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
IN A COFFIN IN EGYPT
Dec 28, 1969 pm
HERE IS THE CLOSING OF A GREAT BOOK, AND THE LAST STEPS OF JOSEPH IN EGYPT
- The last five verses draw a quiet close to a book of great beginnings - Genesis - seedbed
- The misfortunes of Joseph did not thwart his integrity nor dull his faith in God's promises
- He was not at home in Egypt- slave, prime minister or even in a coffin, he pointed to heaven
If you will not pattern your life after Jesus Christ - then copy Joseph
JOSEPH DWELT IN EGYPT Gen 50:21
Though he slaved, ruled, and was to sleep there, he never became too much at home in Egypt
JOSEPH DWELT IN EGYPT, AND SO WE ALL MUST DWELL IN THIS WORLD; BUT THIS IS NOT PERMANENT
- As long as we are in the flesh, we dwell in this world, but as pilgrims - I Pet 2:11
- If we are true Christians, we must never become Egyptians - our citizenship is in Heaven- Phil 3:20
- But while in the earth we are the salt, the light, not to lose our savor, or to be hid
JOSEPH LIVED A HUNDRED YEARS - A RIPE OLD AGE FOR THE MAN OF GOD
- This was a long life, as we count life- and full of excitement, events - helped many
- When our life is run, what will be left? Joseph saved the nations - only souls count
- This was the shorter life of Joseph - to prepare him for eternity with God - are you ready?
THE CHILDREN OF EPHRIAM TO THE THIRD GENERATION CAME TO VISIT JOSEPH v.23
- Joseph was allowed to see the promises of God be fulfilled- God's purpose- family to Nation
- Here was proof enough of God's promises to keep Joseph encourage - not doubting nor weak
- We too can see proof enough of God's work in this world to keep encouraged if we seek it.
- The life of Joseph is that of looking at the world through God's eyes - trusting God
SO JOSEPH DIED
- Man has tried every desperate way his evil imagination can conceive to avoid this - but can't.
JOSEPH SAID UNTO HIS BRETHREN: "I DIE." Gen 50:24
- These are words that we all must come to- face them, or be caught running away from them?
- There is no reason for a Believer to fear death, to hasten it, nor to flee from it.
- It is a blessing to face it like Paul- II Tim 4:7 - finished his course and kept faith
JOSEPH AGAIN LEFT THE PROMISE THAT GOD WIL SURELY VISIT YOU Gen 50:24b
- This promise was to be the beacon light to guide them through dark and terrible years
- I would faint unless I believed I could see the hand of the Lord - Ps 27:13
- God has also given us a great promise- Phil 1:6 and we need to trust in this daily
GOD WILL SURELY BRING YOU OUT OF THIS LAND UNTO THE LAND PROMISED TO ABRAHAM, ISAAC, AND JACOB
- Joseph gave them again the promise of national deliverance to their promised land - Canaan
- We seek something more than just another piece of soil - Heb 11:10 How valuable to you?
- We sometimes groan for that eternal tabernacle - house made without hands - II Cor 5:2
- All of God's word shouts that there is life beyond the grave, and that God has prepared it
HE WAS PUT IN A COFFIN IN EGYPT Gen 50:26
- There is only one end for a man in the OT - we have the promise of maybe missing this
JOSEPH TOOK AN OATH OF THE CHILDREN OF ISRAEL - v.25
- By faith in God's promises he gave an order - Heb 11:25, and this was for their sakes
- He was sure of his destiny, but was to help them be sure, an oath to remember
- He wanted no part of himself left in Egypt- not to take any of Egypt with him - do you?
SO JOSEPH DIED - SUCH BRIEF WORDS TO DESCRIBE EARTH'S LOSS, AND HEAVEN'S GAIN v.26
- This was the end of the Patriarchal Age- now the family turned into a nation - being formed
- They embalmed him- All Egypt honored him, but he cared not for he was with Abraham
- We make great fuss over funerals- but in reality they are a wedding- we are home with God
AND HE WAS PUT IN A COFFIN IN EGYPT - A DRAMATIC ENDING FOR THE BOOK OF GENESIS
- In this ending for Joseph we see the vivid power of sin, and death- even the Godly die
- All seems lost - finished, reduced to dust, ashes, so futile- then why keep that coffin?
- As long as the monument containing the coffin was seen - they were reminded of promise-
- When in the course of time God visited them- Exod 13:19 they took Joseph home - Josh 24:32
IF GOD PRESERVED THE BONES OF JOSEPH AS A REMINDER TO HIS PEOPLE, WHAT REMINDS US?
- Not one bone of Jesus has ever been found, and that is the reminder to us-
- He is preparing a place for us- our inheritance eternal- I Pet 1:4 precious and real
- If you are not ready, start making your plans now- for you cannot miss this trip.