Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
GOD'S GREAT WORK
Sep 20, 1970 pm
THIS EPISTLE BEGAN BY TELLING US THAT GOD SPEAKS TO US THROUGH THE LORD JESUS CHRIST
- It is hard to concentrate on this when armies are massing 70 miles from Jerusalem, 15 miles from Galilee
- But Paul was trying to prepare the Hebrews for such a fulfilment of judgment back then - 65AD
- The purpose of God is to work out the likeness of Christ in each one of us- through the troublesome times we have on earth as well as the times of beauty and happiness
WHAT GOD HAS DONE - MADE YOU PERFECT - V.20
The great work of Christ is to bring us to God, then the Father begins His work in us
THE GOD OF PEACE - THE PROPER NAME OF GOD JUST BEFORE HE ALLOWS WAR TO DESTROY JERUSALEM? V.20
- This is the name by which we are called to trust in God. Through troubles we trust more!
- When His work is finished there will be peace and rest - but not until His work is done!
- Now we have peace with God, the peace of God, and there is yet more peace to come -- faith?
WHO BROUGHT AGAIN FROM THE DEATH THE GREAT SHEPHERD OF THE SHEEP.
- The indirect mention of the resurrection of Christ - this is already finished - done - 33AD
- The shepherd is OUR Shepherd - He cares for us - indeed - He gave His life for His sheep!
- Just as His death is our gate to life, His risen life is our daily power for living that life.
THROUGH THE BLOOD OF THE EVERLASTING COVENANT. THERE ARE MANY COVENANTS; THIS IS EVERLASTING.
- The message of the blood is the crimson thread that runs from Genesis to Revelation- and in both directions
- It was this blood that conquered sin and death and hell- do not despise it or trample it
- This God has done for you! And God counts all this as yours in Christ -- IF YOU ARE IN CHRIST!
Faith that sees what God has done, and counts upon His power to affect one's life, is saving faith.
WHAT GOD WILL DO - MAKE YOU PERFECT
God longs to have back that fellowship with man that He had in the Garden of Eden, but lost
THE GOD OF PEACE ---- MAKE YOU PERFECT IN EVERY GOOD WORK TO DO HIS WILL - V.21
- The object of all that God has done is to make us perfect- the job is not yet finished -
- Jesus came to earth to do the will of the Father - to finish His work - and He will not fail
- God must fit us to do His will- we must be made perfect- or God will fail in His plans-
THE GOD OF PEACE MAKE YOU PERFECT IN EVERY GOOD WORK TO DO HIS WILL
- The word 'perfect' means to be in right condition, readjusted, equipped, fit for the job ahead
- The work He has for us to do is GOOD - well pleasing in His sight - not questionable, or bad
- Why not get started today getting ready - do your part, too! Is your life "well pleasing" to Him?
HE WILL FINISH HIS WORK, AND PRESENT YOU FAULTLESS BEFORE HIS THRONE IN GLORY - SEE JUDE 24
- Will the Lord finish His job? I sign Bibles with Phil 1:6 - I am confident He will finish
- Jesus will present us - a glorious church - without spot or wrinkle - Eph 5:27
- Predestination has to do with this- those He calls, He will glorify - none lost - Rom 8:30
Look upward and wonder and worship, look inward and tremble - but yield to His hand!
WHAT GOD IS NOW DOING - MAKING YOU PERFECT
The heart of the writer explodes in a benediction at the thought of this glorious truth
GOD IS WORKING IN YOU NOW - HE IS NOW ACTIVE IN YOUR LIFE, AND IN YOUR CIRCUMSTANCES
- The circumstances of life are used by God to shape us, and to make us what He wants of us-
- Day by day, look for God's hand - building you, shaping up your being, hardening you in fire-
- What God did in Christ is a pledge of what He is doing in you if you belong to Jesus Christ
GOD IS WORKING THAT WHICH IS WELL PLEASING IN HIS SIGHT
- We are tools in His hands- but now He is sharpening and shaping the tools, preparing us
- The He wishes to use us as the tools to do His will- to do that which is well pleasing
- It is love that forgets the law, and looks for that which is well pleasing- do you? Will you?
THE ONLY WAY GOD CAN WORK IN OUR LIVES IS "THROUGH JESUS CHRIST" - FROM BEGINNING TO END
- The three persons of the Godhead are inseparable- they all have their perfect work in you
- Let the spirit of Christ work in your heart, spend time with Him, be full of His presence
- Will you let Him have His perfect work in your heart? No matter what your own will?
In Christ - the fire of love ever burns, the song never ends, the thrill is new every day
WILL YOU LET GOD HAVE HIS PERFECT WORK IN YOU? IF YOU WILL, YOU WILL NEVER REGRET IT!
- Some of you have never accepted Christ as your Savior - you MUST do this NOW - or?
- Some of your delay on simple decisions are not well pleasing to Him - Baptism, Church Membership, etc.
- Will you let the Great Shepherd of your soul lead you - one step at a time.