Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
HOW SHALL WE ESCAPE?
Dec. 1, 1968 am
SOME WHO WHERE BLESSED SO MANY WAYS TURNED FROM THE SOURCE OF LOVE AND BLESSING
- We ought to read carefully "Hebrews" lest we make the same mistake as the first century Jews-
- Heb 1 tells of the divine glory of Jesus, Heb 2 tells of His humanity with all the glory
- But a series of parenthetical sections casts great warnings before the people - 2:1-3 1st.
I. HOW SHALL WE ESCAPE? (THE IMPOSSIBLE QUESTION, YET ASKED CONTINUALLY)
The present danger is the terrible penalty, power, and presence of sin, and it is very real.
A. STUDY THE WORD "ESCAPE" EK-Fuego - from Fugitive - meaning to flee out of
- This word was used about the prisoners thought to have escaped from jail- Acts 16:27
- It is used of Sceva's sons- who tore themselves from the presence of a wrathful spirit A.19:16
- But in Heb 12:25 we are warned that NO ONE escaped when God spoke before- (water)- fire next
B. WHAT IS THERE THAT WE SHOULD ESCAPE FROM? Heb 2:2b - A just recompense of our transgression
- Luke 21:36 Same word- of things that shall come to pass. I Thess 5:3 tells us- sudden destruction
- Rom 2:3 speaks of escaping judgement of God - Heb 9:27- appointment to die- then Judgement
- Present things to escape are - Rev 17:16-17 hunger, thirst, heat, fear, 21:4 - death, sorrow, pain
C. THE ULTIMATE FEAR AND TERROR TO ESCAPE FROM IS THE REALITY OF HELL Matt 4:22- Danger of Hell!
- Men may pull their intellectual covers over their heads, but denying it does not change Hell.
- The Bible describes it as outer darkness, eternal fire, separation from God, worm never dies
- Use common sense- if men have prisons for time, what about eternity? -& God sees all our sin.
Nowhere on earth today can you escape the ravages of sin- only force of law gives survival
II. IF WE NEGLECT (THE IMPOSSIBLE SIN - YET ALMOST UNIVERSAL)
The greatest of all sin, - just neglect. This is the only sin that sends a person to Hell.
A. STUDY THE WORD NEGLECT - DISREGARD, PAY NO ATTENTION, IGNORE, DELAY UNTIL OPPORTUNITY IS GONE
- Heb 2:1 To fail to give the more earnest heed to the things we have heard - is to neglect
- Some lack being earnest with God, and refusing to be serious with God is disrespectful
- The lack of earnestness among Christians can quickly turn a normal life to -hell on earth-
B. SOME DO NOT EVEN KNOW HOW GOD HAS SPOKEN TO US Heb 2:3b,4 - WE HEAR EVERYONE BUT GOD TODAY
- The Bible says God spoke to us through the Lord- He is the Word of God incarnate- John 1
- His Word is confirmed by those who heard Him - and they gave their lives for it- I John 1
- God has continued to confirm His word by miracles- & Holy Spirit- according to His own will
C. HOW CAN ANYONE FAIL TO HEAR THE CONTINUING VOICE OF GOD SPEAKING TO US EVEN TODAY?
- The Basic English Bible says "Our Fathers first had knowledge of truth through the words of Lord-"
- But history is full of faithful witnesses continuing the testimony of the fathers- Calvin, Zwingli, Hus
- Current history sees to it that we do not need to go far to hear today- over 200 in Phoenix
But hearing the Gospel does not lessen our danger- it increases it! A hotter hell for hearing and not believing.
III. SO GREAT SALVATION (IMPOSSIBLE TO BE SO GREAT) YET IT IS REAL!
Here is the theme of Hebrews- of the Bible, and of all history- "How Great Thou Art"
A. GOD NOW OFFERS TO US NOT A GREAT LAW, BUT A GREAT SALVATION
- II Cor 3:7 speaks how glorious the law was, and Moses' face did shine- but Gospel is more glorious!
- The law could only draw fences around the areas of sin, but Gospel offers salvation to sinners
- Salvation - has within it deliverance, safety, preservation, healing of the hurt, forgiveness
B. THE SALVATION GOD OFFERS IS A GREAT SALVATION - IT HAS TO BE TO TAKE CARE OF OUR SIN
- It saves from the guilt and penalty of sin- Luke 7:48,50 -woman- sins forgiven, faith saved
- It saves from the habit and domination of sin - Rom. 6:14 sin no more has dominion over you
- It saves eventually from the very presence of sin- I John 3:2 we will be like Him-
C. THIS SALVATION WAS PURCHASED FOR US AT A GREAT PRICE - THE VERY BLOOD OF CHIRST, GOD'S SON
- In olden days- the glory of the temple with its blood sacrifice drew Jews back to Judaism
- But God offered the Blood of His own Son, Heb 9:14- even purge your conscience from dead works
- And Christ died but once- bearing the sins of many- Heb 9:28 and He is coming again!
There is only one way to be saved, and no escape if you neglect that one way!
DON'T LET IMPOSSIBLE SIN LEAD YOU TO SEEK IMPOSSIBLE ANSWER TO IMPOSSIBLE QUESTION!
- Receive Jesus Christ your only hope for Salvation as your own personal Saviour!
- Pay attention to God, and to God's word to escape the confusion of present godless times
- While you toy with your own will, you miss joy of God's will, and risk loss of your soul.