Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
DON'T GROW OLD, GROW UP!
Sep 13, 1970 pm
THERE ARE MANY KINDS OF PEOPLE IN THE WORLD, AND GOD HAS A MESSAGE FOR EACH ONE, EVEN YOU!
- No two people have the same personality, no two are at the same stage of development
- Yet God has given us His Word, and it has a message to help and encourage each one of us
- God has given us the Holy Spirit, and He applies the Word to fit our individual needs-
The secret of our enjoyment is whether or not we are mature enough to accept chastening - weird.
"WE HAVE MANY THINGS TO SAY" - HEB 5:11A
I am amazed at the progressive revelation of the Word of God that was once for all delivered
EVEN JESUS COULD NOT TELL HIS CLOSEST DISCIPLES TOO MUCH AT ONCE, OR WITH TOO STRONG WORDS
- Matt 13:10 Jesus explained to His favorite disciples why He taught in parables, and still does
- John 16:12 Jesus explained to them that there are things that even they could not bear yet
- John 6 Jesus tried to teach them spiritual truths, and he lost all but a very few disciples
THE APOSTLE PAUL ALSO HAD DIFFICULTIES TELLING THE EARLY CHRISTIANS WHAT GOD HAD TO SAY TO THEM
- Gal 16:12 he asked "Am I become your enemy because I tell you the truth?" To some he did!
- The Hebrew Christians in Jerusalem were turning back to Judaism - leaving the simple church
- Paul called them "dull of hearing" because they did not listen to what he or God had to say.
PAUL RECALLED SOME TO GOD, AND THE LORD WARNED THEM, AND SAVED THEM FROM A BLOODY DESTRUCTION
- There seemed to be a revival because of this book, and spirituality was rekindled in some-
- Within a few years General Castius came against Jerusalem, comedy of errors, retreated hurt-
- The Christians saw prophesy fulfilled, and fled north before Titus mangled Jerusalem-
But those who hesitated, or feared like children, died with the Jews - Can we hear His voice?
"BUT YE ARE BABIES" - HEB 6:12 - WHEN STRONG MEN ARE NEEDED, PAUL FOUND BABES
No one likes to be called a baby, or immature; Paul did it as tactfully as possible - serious
THE SCRIPTURES REVEAL THREE TYPES OF PERSONS IN THE WORLD, AND PAUL'S WRITINGS SHOW ALL THREE
- I Cor 2:14 "The Natural Man" - He is of the world, born once, sin cursed, child of wrath, lost!
- I Cor 3:1 "The Carnal Man" - He is a saint, yet worldly, weak, easily offended, babe in Christ
- I Cor 2:15 "The Spiritual Man" - He is a saint who hears God and obeys - mature spirit led, life by faith
THESE HEBREWS IN THE EARLY CHURCH HAD BECOME BABES BECAUSE OF THEIR OWN CARELESSNESS - CF V.12
- "Ye ought to be teachers" - been in church long enough - should lead the world, but could not
- "Ye have need - teach you" - they had missed the basic truths, see today's Republic - 4th R still lacking
- The picture is of childishness - senile or undeveloped, selfish, easily turned from the way - sterile
THEY WERE SO WEAK THAT THEY NEEDED TO BE FED AGAIN THE MILK OF THE WORLD, SIMPLE TRUTHS - 6:1-7
- "Repentance from dead works" Man cannot save self- yet the temple works looked appealing
- "Faith toward God" Man's faith should be in God, not in self; our part: Believe Him!
- "Baptism and Laying on of Hands" Church membership and commissioning is important- but only the beginning of service
"Resurrection and Judgment" - the future is in God's hands, but these apostatized and mocked God
"LET US GO ON UNTO PERFECTION" - 6:1B
Our age has seen a terrible retreat from strong meat as far as being Christians is concerned
STRONG MEAT BELONGS TO MATURE SPIRITUAL ADULTS AND YOUNG ADULTS WHO WILL BE STRONG
- When people get offended in church and are caused to stumble, it is because they can't walk!
- A person does not grow without facing the strong meat, strong demands of God's word and work
- If a few babes keep a church from having strong meat, it soon makes everyone weak-
USE YOUR SENSES TO DISCERN GOOD AND EVIL AND EXERCISE YOURSELF TO GODLINESS - V.14
- Make the choice yourself- choose the good, don't be too proud for correction - Heb 12:5b-7, 11-15 - chastening
- A mature Christian takes a mature look at the church, accepts responsibility, and helps work
- Like Paul- "I am persuaded better things of you" 6:9, let's pull together, try harder, love more
"LET US GO ON UNTO PERFECTION" - 6:1B
- How is it with your soul? Growing? Do you need a winter garden row of "Let us"? Heb 10:21
- If you know Jesus, you should have "full assurance of hope" 6:11b, so be not slothful - 12a
- There are more helps today - no need for "Bible ignorance" - come and study, serve and grow
And when God gets ready to judge this nation - He will not leave us ignorant of what to do.
IF WE PULL OURSELVES UP TO GOD'S TABLE AND FEAST ON HIS STRONG MEAT, WE WILL GET STRONG
- If you have not laid the proper foundation in Christ - then do so - confess Christ - salvation
- If you are a Christian, don't sit in the corner and suck your thumb - draw nigh to God!
- It is fun to be a mature Christian in the midst of a needy world - enjoy it in Christ!