Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
LOOKING UNTO JESUS
Dec 5, 1971 am
"Looking unto Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our Faith;"
THERE ARE MANY GREAT MESSAGES HIDDEN IN THE HARD BOOKS OF THE BIBLE, SOMETIMES IN PHRASES HIDDEN
- Hebrews 12 is the "running and chastening" chapter, warning us of v.29 "consuming fire."
- There is one phrase that shouts the solution to many of our ills - "Looking unto Jesus" 2a
- The whole secret of the victorious Christian life is in the personal "looking unto Jesus."
Without this mystical relationship with Jesus, you miss the point of God's love!
LOOKING UNTO JESUS - HEB 12:2a
The Greek word here involves looking away from one thing to attentively study another - Jesus
THERE IS A GREAT CROWD OF WITNESSES WATCHING US LIKE FROM A GREAT GRANDSTAND - HEB 12:1
- Heb 11 is the Grandstand of Eternity, full of ex-runners, alumni of the school of life - homecoming.
- The heroes of the past have run their race; they know it can be done-
- Great inspiration comes from looking at our heroes - but time has come to lift your vision.
THE GOSPEL IS INTENSELY PRACTICAL; THERE IS A LIFE TO BE LIVED, A RACE TO BE RUN
- "Let us" (see lettus patch) "lay aside every weight" - food and clothing, good in training, put feet on the ground.
- "Run with patience" - endurance - no shortcuts; you will cover the ground - but how? Up to you.
- Paul asked of Galatians, "you ran well, who did hinder you?" Start well, finish well, no excuses.
BUT THE REAL SECRET OF VICTORY IS NOT IN OUR LOOK AT THE GRANDSTAND, NOR THE RACE TRACK!
- The practical and the contemplative is in perfect balance in Christianity - don't miss half!
- The mysterious, mystical, "other world" look at Jesus is real, but in inner spiritual life.
- The heart that is fixed on Jesus WILL HAVE inspiration, strength, an anchor, and the promise.
The secret of a straight life - like a furrow - is a goal at other end of the field - so LOOK!
THE AUTHOR OF OUR FAITH - HEB 12:2
Jesus is the Captain, the Leader, the Originator, the Author of our faith! A new faith!
"BUT WE SEE JESUS . . . A LITTLE LOWER THAN THE ANGELS" HEB 2:9 - I DON'T LIKE THE "WAS MADE"-
- Do not fail to understand what Heb 1:2,3,8 has to say - the Deity of Christ is very real.
- Jesus did humble Himself - Phil 2:6-8 and as a man became obedient unto death - the cross.
- We don't see Him as the Christ-2:8b, but as the Jesus - Man, coming into our world to save!
JESUS HUMBLED HIMSELF TO BECOME THE CAPTAIN OF OUR SALVATION - HEB 2:10b
- The main reason for the humanity, humility, and the humiliation of Jesus for us.
- As the Leader, Captain, Author of our faith - He opened the pathway of life - the only Door.
- To bring many sons unto glory - and if you will come, the only way is through His suffering.
"LOOKING UNTO JESUS" - HE WROTE THE PLAN, CAME TO THIS EARTH TO BECOME ITS SACRIFICE!
- Our Captain walked the path before us - our Shepherd, Pilot, Guide, suffered our way - every temptation.
- He also walked the way to sacrificial death - beyond our way - to take our place - on the cross.
- Come - see Jesus upon the Cross! This He did for you! He loved you this much! Look well!
Either you will see your salvation in the face of Jesus on the cross, or miss it completely.
"THE FINISHER OF OUR FAITH" - HEB 12:2,3
Jesus is the perfecter of our faith - He makes it perfect, finishes what He started for you
JESUS DID NOT FAIL TO PERFECT WHAT HE STARTED REGARDING OUR SALVATION!
- Lest we be weary of our race - v.3, let's consider Him - He in human flesh did not fail!
- Jesus perfected our salvation in His own Person! To the death - "It is finished."
- If you believe in Jesus - look to Him! If you have His work started in you - Phil 1:6 He will complete it.
JESUS FINISHED HIS COURSE BECAUSE OF THE JOY THAT WAS SET BEFORE HIM - HEB 12:2b
- Like Moses, He chose the hard way for the moment - for the greater goal - no short vision.
- He endured the Cross, despised the shame - for YOU! But now - is set down at the right hand of God.
- He showed us the way by becoming The Way - Look unto Him, and follow! Practical obedience.
"LOOK DILIGENTLY LEST ANY MAN FAIL OF THE GRACE OF GOD" - HEB 12:15a
- Take heed, - many take their eyes off Jesus - back to witnesses, or race - and fall short.
- Some look around themselves - to others - and are disappointed - and let root of bitterness take hold!
- Some look into self - and like Peter on the water, fall! Look attentively upon Jesus and walk!
When you are tempted to fail, grow weary, or stumble, look unto Jesus - He will help!
WILL YOU CHECK UP ON YOURSELF AND THOSE YOU LOVE? LEST ANY MAN FAIL OF HIS GRACE!
- Have you had an experience with Jesus? - If so, you are in His grace, if no - you have failed.
- Are you running the race - well-marked out - practical - Baptism, Church Membership, Stewardship, Serving?
- If you allow any root of bitterness to make you take your eyes off Jesus - you might miss.
Even if you ARE saved - if you take your eyes off Jesus - you will run a crooked race!