Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
THE BLOOD BOUGHT IT
Dec. 15, 1968 am
THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY FOR SIN TO BE COVERED, SINFUL DEEDS FORGIVEN* THROUGH THE BLOOD!
- Spiritual law, like scientific law, does not begin when defined- it has always existed!
- Many do not understand the law of the blood sacrifice, -like Cain, argue against it!
- I want you to know what God has said, then if you do not want to believe- 'tis your decision!
But when you see the truth, I am praying that you will be reasonable enough to believe!
I. THE FIRST COVENANT - A SHADOW OF THINGS TO COME (10:1)
When John the Baptist said "Behold the Lamb of God" in John 1:29-36 - they knew what he meant
A. THE FIRST COVENANT WAS BASED ON THE SHEDDING OF BLOOD
- When Adam and Eve sinned in the Garden of Eden, God clothed them with skins- Gen 3:21- blood
- When Cain sinned, God reminded him that the Sin Offering lieth at the door- Gen 4:7 - blood
- When Abraham offered Isaac- Gen 22:1 - he knew what a blood offering was- vs. 8&13 - and a ram
B. GOD ESTABLISHED THE BLOOD OFFERING AS THE SIGN OF SALVATION AND FORGIVENESS IN THE WRITTEN LAW
- When the Passover was started, the blood on the door saved them from the death angel- Exo 12:7-13
- The Law of the Sacrifices was written on the Books- but did not originate in Lev. 1:2-5, cf Job 1:5
- The special picture of the Atonement for the nation was codified, Lev 10:34
C. BUT THE BLOOD OF BULLS AND GOATS COULD NOT TAKE AWAY THE SINS OF MEN * Heb 10:4
- The way into the Holiest of all was not open to all people in the OT- Heb. 9:8 High Priest once a year
- The blood of sheep and goats could not cleanse a man- Heb 10:4 - 1st Covenant was not faultless 8:7
- These were but the shadow of better things that were to come- reminder of Messiah- Col 2:17
Now we have a more excellent ministry, better covenant, better promises- Heb 8:6 Key Verse
II. THE SECOND COVENANT * THE BETTER WAY, THE VERY REALITY, NOT A SYMBOL
When John pointed to Jesus and said "Behold the Lamb of God" they knew that this was the Messiah
A. THE SECOND COVENANT WAS BASED ON THE BLOOD OF A BETTER SACRIFICE
- The first covenant was glorious - II Cor 3:11 -The second covenant is even more glorious!
- As a baby, Jesus knew His purpose- Heb 10:5 - a strange quotation from a baby! Born to die
- The Blood of Jesus Christ, God's Son, the man without a spot or blemish- Cleanses -I John 1:7b
B. THE EFFECT OF THIS BETTER SACRIFICE IS FAR-REACHING, MORE THAN THE FIRST Cf v.14
- Jesus was the better sacrifice, so His sacrifice was through the eternal Spirit - infinite
- Our self-consciousness toward God, formerly blocked by dead works- now is purged- cleansed
- This opened the way for God to give to us the New Birth- to change our hearts- serve the Living God
C. THE DURATION OF THE BETTER SACRIFICE IS ALSO FAR REACHING, MORE THAN THE FIRST Cf 10:12,14
- The old priest had to offer daily for sin, yearly for Atonement- but Jesus once for all!
- Because of His infinite, eternal Spirit- 10:10,12,14 stresses once for all, forever! Forever!
- Jesus died just once! You cannot crucify Christ afresh!
The sacrifice of Christ is God's eternal, divine way, - OT pointed forward, we point backward
III. JESUS CHRIST IS THE MEDIATOR OF THE NEW TESTAMENT 15a
There is no other mediator between God and man- the man, Christ Jesus I Tim 2:5
A. JESUS CHRIST WAS THE MEDIATOR TO THE SOULS WAITING IN PRISION (KEEPING PLACE)- I Peter 3:19
- The OT Saint went to Sheol, Abraham's Bosom- Luke 16:2- Awaiting Christ's sacrifice
- These waited until Jesus established Paradise -Luke 23:43 - Now in the 3rd Heaven- II Cor 12:2
- So Jesus at His death opened the "underworld", and tore the veil in twain- waiting was over!
B. JESUS CHRIST IS THE MEDIATOR TO SOULS TODAY, ON EARTH -Heb 7:25, IN PARADISE - Rom 8:23
- To those in paradise, He encourages them that it will not be long until their bodies are redeemed!
- To those on earth who are saved- we have His blessed intercession and companionship
- To those yet unsaved, He pleads with them through the Spirit not to follow the way of Cain!
C. FOR THOSE WHO HAVE TRUSTED IN THE BLOOD OF CHRIST, OUR SINS AND INIQUITIES ARE REMEMBERED NO MORE
- In the completeness of His work, He frees us forever from the guilt and penalty - Heb 10:17
- The New Birth comes into the heart of the blood-bought, and leads us to a higher life
- All of this is possible through the old rugged cross, the fountain of blood, Calvary!
Remember Heb 9:22b - "Without the shedding of blood is no remission." Believe it!
DO NOT FAIL TO COME TO GOD THROUGH THE BLOOD-BOUGHT WAY OF THE NEW TESTAMENT
- We don't stumble over flu vaccine (science); why should we stumble over God's way?
- Facts are not changed whether you believe it or not, but YOU are! Believe and be saved today!
- Confess Christ as your Saviour, and face time and eternity as a Child of God!