Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
I Cor 5:11,14,20
CONSTRAINED BY LOVE
Jul 12, 1970 pm
WE NEED TO WATCH CAREFULLY OUR MOTIVES - PAUL FOUND TWO THAT DROVE HIM CONTINUALLY
- In a day of such great welfare programs, we need to check our work - will it be acceptable?
- For we will all appear before God to see whether we can justify our existence - no excuses!
- Paul knew two things about the Lord - these made him take an office in God's government that involved danger and risk, and thrust him into the heart of enemy land.
"KNOWING THEREFORE THE TERROR OF THE LORD" - V.11A
No man runs so fast or far as one who is in terror - this is the earliest motive of life
SOME WOULD LIKE TO FORGET THAT THIS IS IN THE BIBLE, BUT LOOK - "KNOWING THEREFORE THE TERROR OF THE LORD"
- The Ambassador to Japan would have tried harder to keep peace had he known of our A bombs!
- The hell of Ground Zero is hell but for a second - eternal hell exists, and is for eternity!
- There are many different types of people, but we all learn fear before we do love!
SOME WOULD LIKE TO FORGET THIS RESPONSIBILITY, BUT LOOK AT IT - "WE PERSUADE MEN" - 11B
- If we do not persuade men because we KNOW the terror, we know that they will FEEL the terror!
- The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom! Prov 9:10 - but we want freedom from FEAR!
- If you do not fear the consequences of your sin, you won't get saved -- others won't either.
PAUL WROTE "OUR MOTIVES ARE PLAIN TO GOD AND WE HOPE THEY ARE TO YOU" - V.11C - BUT PEOPLE JUDGE WRONG
- Men think the preacher is trying to cheat them out of carnal pleasure - steal their free will.
- But I doubt the motives of every Christian who is not concerned about the salvation of souls.
- It has been over 6 hours since I have seen anyone shed a tear over a loved one's soul - YOU?
If you don't want to be involved FOR God, you will be involved WITH Him in judgement!
"CONSTRAINED BY THE LOVE OF CHRIST" - V.14
The most noble motive to move a human heart is also the most mocked today - LOVE! Not ours, but HIS.
THE NEW ENGLISH VERSION SAYS "THE LOVE OF CHRIST LEAVES US NO CHOICE" V.14
- This verb is an activating force - to hold fast, to be taken over by a disease- to control.
- The subject is "The love of Christ" - Eph 3:19, we talk, sing, write, but do we KNOW it?
- If you are not concerned about souls, and moved to action - you do not know the love of Christ!
"HE DIED FOR US ALL, SO WE OUGHT TO LIVE FOR HIM" IS THE KNOX TRANSLATION OF V.15
- There was only one way that God could prove His great love for us- Rom 5:8 - no trinket gift!
- There was only one way to save your soul from the terror of the penalty of your sin - He died for you.
- Just fair play tells us that if He died for you, you ought to live for Him - the noblest motive.
20TH CENTURY NEW TESTAMENT SAYS "HENCEFORTH LET US NOT VIEW ANYONE CARNALLY ANY LONGER" - QUIT JUDGING SIGHT!
- Men judge each other by human (carnal) experience - but Paul said "No More" - I Cor 2:2
- Any man in Christ is a new creature - no longer can be judged by old standards- not accountable
- But are your old judgments and actions passed away? Live by this love, judge by it - or trouble!
If you will let yourself fall under the spell of God's constraining love- you will be changed!
"WE ARE AMBASSADORS FOR CHRIST" - V.20
God could have chosen angels, but instead He elected to choose sinful men! Why me? LOVE!
GOD HAS CHARGED US WITH THE MINISTRY OF RECONCILATION - V.18,19 - BLESSED ARE THE PEACEMAKERS!
- "It is all the doing of God" Mof. "God has done it all" Wm. Beck. I can't brag, and He equips
- "Through Christ He made us friends" - Beck. We used to be enemies, but He wanted men to love
- So He has given us the job of making friends for Him of all His enemies - v.18c What War?
GOD WAS IN CHRIST RECONCILING THE WORLD TO HIMSELF - V.19 - JESUS DID NOT COME TO CONDEMN, BUT TO SAVE!
- We are to proclaim to all the world that God saves - and men cannot find this without help.
- Through Christ He reconciled- not holding our sin against us, or them - Christ paid for sin.
- And He has committed (strong word) to US the words that lead to reconciliation - peace on earth!
AS AMBASSADORS WE BEG, PRAY YOU, PLEAD, "IN THE PLACE OF CHRIST WE ASK" BE RECONCILED TO GOD" - V.20B
- As an ambassador, now we speak - later our King will show His authority by power - but for now, words.
- We plead in Christ's stead, the Holy Spirit speaks to your soul - listen, before - A Bomb.
- God invites - Be ye reconciled - "Make your peace with God" - Knox. God wants your answer.
Will you receive the King's ambassador? Will you become an ambassador for Him?
WHAT ARE THE MOTIVES THAT DRIVE YOUR LIFE? MANY TODAY HAVE NO MOTIVE, NO PURPOSE - NO JOY -
- Terror and Love both plead with you to accept Christ - obey one, or the other, or both - be saved!
- Love and terror both plead with you to be an ambassador for Christ - soulwinner - will you?
- A person would have to be deliberately dead to reject the shock of these two electrodes!