Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
I John 1:4
THAT YOUR JOY MAY BE FULL
Oct 24, 1970 am
JOHN'S WRITINGS - DEEPLY SOUL-SEARCHING, SPRITUAL - GOSPEL - WAY TO LIVE, EXIST, ENJOY LIFE
- The life of fellowship is explained in v.3; John the Aged knew how to walk close to the Lord-
- The responsibility of fellowship is declared- We must abide in Him - and reflect His attributes
- When we have sweet fellowship with God, and each other, our joy is full - v.3 - but real fellowship involves mutual interests (two fellows in the same ship).
GOD IS LIGHT- 1:1-2:28 - TO HAVE FELLOWSHIP, WE MUST WALK IN THAT LIGHT! V.7
Eternal spiritual truths have to be expressed in human language - so, "God is light"
GOD'S LIGHT SHOWS US THE DARKNESS OF OUR OWN SINFULNESS, 1:6,8
- We try to hide personal responsibility for our own moral situation - but v.6 God shows our sin
- What is "walk in darkness"? - just to walk out of the range of His light, and we all do v.6
- But this darkness - sin - can be handled - v.9, rebound, and our helper- 2:1,2 advocate and payment
GOD'S LIGHT REACHES INTO OUR MINDS AND GIVES US DIRECTION TO OUR WILL - 2:3-11
- The Old Testament law takes on new meaning - v.3-6 To abide in Him, we must walk His path, and want to.
- God's love is perfected in us as we keep His word - we learn obedience motivated by love
- This light leads us to new relationship with our brother v.10 and makes a wholesome family
GOD'S LIGHT DESTROYS DARKNESS, AND AS THE LIGHT SHINES, THE WICKED ONE IS SHOWN V.15-28
- Worldliness, carnality, dark deeds, thoughts, motives- all are doomed under His light - 15-17
- False teachers are doomed- for the Spirit shows us all things - v.20
- The enlightening (anointing) of the Holy Spirit guides us so that we can know! v.27
And so we need not be ashamed before Him at His coming- v.28 if we walk in light - fellowship
GOD IS RIGHTEOUS - 2:29-4:6 TO HAVE FELLOWSHIP- WE MUST WALK IN THAT RIGHTEOUSNESS
Our culture has rebelled against righteousness - but 3:10- if we do, we are not of God!
TO BE RIGHTEOUS, ONE MUST BE BORN OF GOD, 3:1-9 WE CANNOT BE RIGHTEOUS IN OUR OWN STRENGTH
- The mystery of the new birth- born from above- of a spiritual seed - v.9 a mystery- John 3:3,5
- If you abide in Him (new birth) you will not abide in sin (continually sin) 7,8 show difference
- If you have hope in Jesus - that hope will be a purifying influence and Christ the power v.2,3
TO HAVE RIGHTEOUSNESS, ONE MUST LOVE THE BRETHREN IN THE SPECIAL WAY DESCRIBED BY GOD - 10:24
- The proof of righteousness is not perfection - being right, but having love /14 life/death
- We see God's love in His gift for us - v.16, we see righteousness in humans in compassion! 17
- We love in deed and truth, v.18, then we have real confidence before God - v.21, and we can know 24
TO HAVE RIGHTEOUSNESS, ONE MUST BE ABLE TO RECOGNIZE FALSE TEACHERS - V.4:1-6
- If you are righteous, you must be in opposition to falsehood! Try every spirit - v.1
- You cannot be loyal to God and not know the difference between spirit of truth and error 6
- You have to make a decision- will it be God or Satan? You can overcome- v.4 - Christ greater
God does not ask us to do the impossible- but He comes within us to give victory!
GOD IS LOVE - 4:7 - 5:21 - AND TO HAVE FELLOWSHIP WITH HIM WE MUST WALK IN THAT LOVE
This is the most lofty concept, yet is so simple that the youngest child can see it!
THE BEST PICTURE OF GOD IN ONE WORD IS "LOVE" AND HE GIVES THAT LOVE TO HIS OWN - 7-18
- The very motive for our lives is given to us by God- v.8 God is love! Or you don't know Him
- God has demonstrated His love - v.10 - not from us - but to us! Jesus Christ died for us-
- If God can so love us- we ought to love one another - v.7 this shows we are born of God
TO HAVE JOYFUL FELLOWSHIP, WE MUST EXERCISE THAT LOVE THAT GOD GIVES US - V.17
- 1:10 warns us of lying, and again we are warned- 4:20 and you cannot fool God - plain fact
- Being born of God, and showing His great love - 17- gives us boldness in judgment - are you?
- Real love casts out fear, jealousy, hurt feelings, and helps a person feel good- v.19
TO HAVE ASSURANCE WE MUST LIVE IN THE POWER OF GOD'S LOVE, 5:1 -
- If we love the Father, we must love the sons and daughters, for they are His- v.1,2
- The only way we can be victorious over the world- its hate - v.4 is to be born of God
- This witness - we know - is echoed in v.13, 15, 18, 19, 20 - is all found in God's love gift!
But with all this joy and power - the Beloved warns - v.21 - keep self from idols
THE JOY OF THE LORD IS AVAILABLE TO US IF WE WILL LET GOD GIVE IT TO US!
- Will you truly believe in Jesus Christ and be born again? Only way to God's love is through Jesus
- Will you let God build within you His light, righteousness and love? This leads to joy
- When you have this, you have truly overcome the wicked one, and have real joy.