Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
I John 1:4
WRITTEN FOR YOUR JOY
Dec. 14, 1980
JOHN'S WRITINGS ARE DEEP, SOUL SEARCHING, SPIRITUAL! GOSPEL-WAY TO LIFE! EPISTLE - HOW TO ENJOY LIFE
- A life of Fellowship is explained-v.3 & John the Aged knew how to walk close to the Lord - do you?
- The responsibility of Fellowship is declared! We must abide in Him if we wish to have full Joy
- When we have sweet fellowship with God- & with each other - we have full JOY, But many of us miss this sweet Joy because we fail to practice God's Word - Read this Book carefully
I. GOD IS LIGHT! 1:5 TO HAVE FELLOWSHIP WE MUST WALK IN THAT LIGHT!
Eternal truths are expressed in human language- it is not done easily- open ears, eyes, See The Light
A. WE ALL SAY WE WANT GOD'S LIGHT, BUT HIS GREAT LIGHT SHOWS US THE DARKNESS OF OUR LIVES - 1:6,8
- We try to hide personal responsibility for our own Moral situation- but v. 6 God shows our lie.
- What is "to walk in darkness"? - Just to walk out of the range of His light, & we all do -v.8
- But this darkness can be handled! - Sin- Confess it- v.9 rebound, & we have help- 2:1-2 Advocate
B. GOD'S LIGHT REACHES INTO OUR MINDS, AND GIVES US DIRECTION THROUGH OUR WILL! I John 2:3-11
- The OT Law takes on new meaning - v.3-6 - To abide in Him we must walk His path - & want to!
- God's love is perfected in us as we keep His Words - learn obedience to Him, & be motivated- by love
- This light leads us into a new relationship with our brother v.10 - makes a wholesome family
C. GOD'S LIGHT DESTROYS DARKNESS, AND AS THE LIGHT SHINES, THE WICKED ONE IS SHOWN v.15-17
- Worldliness, carnality, dark deeds, thoughts, motives - all are doomed under His light- 15-17
- False Teachers are doomed- for the Spirit shows us all things- v.20 It is light vs. darkness
- The Enlightening (Anointing) of the Spirit- guides us so that we can know path of light- v.27
And when we abide in Him- we need not be ashamed before Him at His Coming- we have confidence!
II. GOD IS RIGHTEOUS! 2:29-4:6 TO HAVE FELLOWSHIP- WE MUST WALK IN RIGHTNESS
Our culture has rebelled against Righteousness- but 3:10 this shows whether or not you are saved!
A. TO BE RIGHTEOUS ONE MUST BE BORN OF GOD! 3:1-9 WE CANNOT BE RIGHTEOUS IN OUR OWN STRENGTH
- The mystery of the New Birth- Born from Above, of Spiritual Seed- v.9, a mystery- John 3:3-5
- If you abide in Him (new birth); you will not abide in sin (continual sin) v.7,8 shows difference
- If you have hope in Jesus- that hope will be a purifying influence, & Christ the power- v.2,3
B. TO HAVE RIGHTEOUSNESS, ONE MUST LOVE THE BRETHREN IN THE SPECIAL WAY DESCRIBED BY GOD! v.10-24
- The proof of Righteousness is not Perfection! (being right), but HAVING LOVE! v.14- life/death
- We see God's love in His gift for us- v.16 & see righteousness in humans in compassion- v.17
- We love in Deed & Truth- v.18, then we have confidence before God- v.21 & can know- 24
C. TO HAVE RIGHTEOUSNESS, ONE MUST BE ABLE TO RECOGNIZE FALSE TEACHERS - 4:1-6 NOTE CAREFULLY!
- If you are righteous, you must be in opposition to falsehood - v.1 -try every spirit
- You cannot be loyal to God & not know the difference between spirit of truth & error - v.6
- You have to make a decision- will it be for God or Satan? Can YOU claim v.4 - Then do so!
God does not ask us to do the impossible- but He comes within us to give us Victory- Let Him!
III. GOD IS LOVE! 4:7-5:21 TO HAVE FELLOWSHIP WITH HIM, WALK IN THAT LOVE!
This is the most lofty concept - yet is 1st taught in our youngest Sunday School class- & needed by eldest.
A. THE BEST PICTURE OF GOD IN ONE WORD IS "LOVE"! AND HE GIVES THAT LOVE TO US TO EXERCISE-7-16
- The very motive for our lives is given to us by God- v.8, if you don't know this -you are dead
- God has demonstrated His love v.10-not from us, but to us! Jesus died for you & me - Accept it!
- If God loves us- we ought to love each other- v.7 This shows if we are really Born of God!
B. TO HAVE JOYFUL FELLOWSHIP- WE MUST EXERCISE THAT LOVE THAT GOD GIVES TO US! v. 17 We are in the world.
- 1:10 warns us of lying, & again warned- 4:20, you cannot fool God! Can't fool each other - Self?
- Being born of God- showing this love- v.17 gives us great boldness in Judgement- are you bold?
- Real love casts out Fear, Jealousy, Hurt Feelings,- & helps a person feel good! v.19 & be good
C. TO HAVE REAL ASSURANCE & CONFIDENCE, WE MUST WALK IN THE POWER OF GOD'S LOVE! 5:1-
- If we love the Almighty God- Father- we must love His Sons & Daughters- for they are His- 1,2
- The only way we can be victorious over the world & its hate- v.4 -be Born of God! Are you?
- This Witness we know- echoed v.13,15,18,20- all found in God's gift of Love -1st Christmas
With all this great opportunity to Joy & Power- John the Beloved warns us- v.21 -keep from idols. The theme of this book- is that YOU might have Joy! If you don't - YOU ARE NOT IN HIS WILL!
THE JOY OF THE LORD BELONGS TO THOSE WHO BELONG TO HIM! TO MISS IT YOU MUST BE UNSAVED, OR NOT OBEDIENT!
- Will you truly believe in Jesus Christ- be Born Again! Accept what God has provided for you?
- Will you let God build within your life- His Light, Righteousness, Love! - this leads to Joy
- When you have this, you have truly overcome the wicked one! & have real JOY!