Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
I John 3:9, 5:3
BORN FROM ABOVE
Nov 1, 1970 am
MANY OF THE TRUTHS OF THE BIBLE ARE STRANGER AND MORE FASCINATING THAN HUMAN FICTION
- Many great Bible mysteries are so far beyond the natural man that he cannot discover them
- Yet John writes - "Behold" - We must pause to gaze on a miracle, and then reflect - meditate
- The differences between life and death are here - and you are personally responsible -
Listen to what the Spirit has to say, and take the action that will open your eyes!
A NEW CREATURE IS BORN - I JOHN 3:9-10
A new and startling creature appears on earth, in the form of man, yet distinct and different
"WHOSOEVER IS BORN OF GOD DOTH NOT COMMIT SIN" - V.9A - A STARTLING NEW BEING - VERY ODD
- Jesus told Nicodemus "Ye must be born again" to see, or enter the Kingdom of God - John 3:5
- I John tells of a person who does not walk in (the practice of) sin - different - mutation
- Here is the mysterious victory over the life of failure and sin that plagues all mankind
"FOR HIS SEED REMAINETH IN HIM, AND HE CANNOT SIN BECAUSE HE IS BORN OF GOD." - V.9B
- I Pet 1:23-25 expands on this- the Seed is God's word, our new birth is the spiritual- eternal
- The new birth- John 1:11-13 is not by man's will, but of God's, centers on reception of Him
- II Cor 5;17 declares that if any man be in Christ- he is a new creature- made new by God
"IN THIS THE CHILDREN OF GOD ARE MANIFEST" V.10A - THIS NEW BIRTH IS WHAT MAKES A PERSON CHRISTIAN
- This new birth shows - manifests - who is saved, or lost, child of God or of devil - it shows
- The children of God "practice" righteousness, the children of the devil don't practice - see
- There may be a terrible time of transition- like that of a butterfly emerging from chrysalis
Some can see only the ugliness of the soon-to-be discarded old nature shell - not new wings
A NEW CREATURE GROWING - I JOHN 3:5-8
Our normal life span on earth seems to be made up of crawling and struggling, but we have a great goal
BY FAITH WE NEED TO "KNOW THAT HE WAS MANIFESTED TO TAKE AWAY OUR SIN" - V.5
- Our lives are filled with mistakes, sin, and the wages of that sin- separates us from God
- But Jesus came and was shown to the world - to show us a life without sin - we have a record
- He was manifest on a cross- dying for our sin, then resurrected- showing glorified power
WHOSOEVER ABIDETH IN HIM SINNETH NOT, WHOSOEVER SINNETH HATH NOT SEEN, NOR KNOW HIM - V.6
- Jesus rose victorious - first fruits of new life- will you see Him by faith, know Him by faith
- We must "plug in with Him" - abide in Him, identify with Him, "If my word abide in You"
- If we "abide" in Jesus we will not "abide" in sin - to the Christian, sin is the exception, not the rule.
"HE THAT COMMITTETH SIN IS OF THE DEVIL, FOR THE DEVIL SINNETH FROM THE BEGINNING" - V.8
- The verb sense in this entire passage is that of "continuing action" - practice shows life
- If you are comfortable in sin - then the Devil has a hold on you. Satisfied being a worm?
- But if you are comfortable in Jesus- with a heart yearning for Him - you can't be comfortable in sin
A new babe is often very helpless - but not for long; abide in the arms of Jesus - grow strong!
THE NEW CREATURE FULLY GROWN - I JOHN 3:1-3
The power that is given us by faith is enough to overcome the world - see 5:4 Victory
WE ARE CALLED THE SONS OF GOD, AS THE SPECIAL GIFT FROM GOD! - I JOHN 3:1 - BEHOLD
- It takes a lot of love to call some of us "son" - a father is not proud of a disobedient son
- But our Heavenly Father used a lot of love - when we receive Christ - He gives power to His sons!
- Don't expect the world to understand - v.1b if they can't see God, they can't see Christians
"IT DOTH NOT YET APPEAR WHAT WE SHALL BE" BUT WE KNOW THAT WHEN HE SHOULD APPEAR * LIKE HIM" - 2
- We may be young, ignorant, mean, weak, very ornery- tow-headed boy, sloppy, but still His
- If we are His someday we shall be like Him - we know - when we grow up - like our Father
- When? When we see Him as He is! But today, the more we understand Him, the more we are like Him
"EVERY MAN THAT HATH THIS HOPE IN HIM PURIFIETH HIMSELF EVEN AS HE IS PURE" - V.3
- You may be in spiritual knee-britches with a hand full of rocks, but do you have this hope?
- This hope can carry us home from school - around mud puddles, out of gang fights, etc.
- If this hope does not burn in your breast - then you are not saved, and have no vision of Heaven
Just how much this hope effects you - only you really know -- but it does somewhat show!
THE CATERPILLAR HAS SENSE ENOUGH TO CLIMB UP HIGHER TO GIVE THE BUTTERFLY A CHANCE TO FLY
- Are you born from above? If not, you will just live, and die nothing but a worm! Change this!
- If you do have eternal life - climb up a little higher - give your "'wings" a chance to dry
- This is a "moral" question - and you have the choice of your next step - Baptism? Church membership?