Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
I Kings 11-14
TAXES, BUREAUCRATS, AND REVOLUTION
May 16, 1971 am
A GREAT NATION FELL BEFORE SATAN'S ATTACK FROM WITHIN; THEN THEY WERE ATTACKED FROM WITHOUT
- We can see the problems when the king raised the taxes, followed the bureaucrats, and had revolution.
- From this distance, we can read the scriptures and see why God allowed His nation to perish.
- With eyes and minds open for current applications, let's see what split Israel - look and Selah.
THE SIN OF THE FATHERS
When God made up his mind to judge Israel - it was for the sins of David and of Solomon.
SOLOMON WITH ALL HIS WISDOM FAILED TO KEEP HIS HEART PERECT WITH THE LORD THOUGH GOD SPOKE TWICE
- Solomon ruled with great wisdom, built God's house, organized the Kingdom - great peaceful nation.
- But with all his great wealth came great temptations - affluence allowed a choice - sin came in.
- His heart was not right 4b and the Lord became angry at him v.9 but still had patience - v.12
JEROBOAM WAS SELECTED BY THE LORD TO LEAD THE DIVIDED KINGDOM, AND BE THE AGENT OF REVOLUTION
- He was a strong, industrious young man v.28, and the prophet Abijah delivered message - 30, 31
- The reason why was explained - v. 33, 34, and the greatest sin was the new morality - but time lag.
- Jeroboam was offered a chance v.38, he could have been a great man - and brought reformation!
THIS MUST NOT BE BLAMED ENTIRELY UPON SOLOMON'S SINS ALONE; THE NATION SHARED IN THE GUILT
- Israel had demanded a king - I Sam 8:6, and had been warned about taxes- v.11-18; wanted a king anyway.
- The king could not have gone into sin without great public outcry had sin not been common.
- The leadership of Israel could not have led them into sin without their willingness!
Historically, nations have always been blessed with the leaders that they deserved - us, too.
THE CHOICE SINS OF THE YOUNGER GENERATION
The judgment of God is sharpened by the foolishness and pride of the younger ones
REHOBOAM HAD HIS CHANCE TO BECOME KING, AND TO LEAD THE UNITED NATION TO REVIVAL - 12:1-7
- He is a strange, unknown person - why? A mystery! But as Solomon's son, he was the first to bat!
- At Shechem the Parliament gathered - and a new constitutional convention to choose a king-
- The advice of the elders was for fiscal stability v.4, and for kindness to the people - 7.
REHOBOAM REJECTED THE CONSERVATIVE COUNSELORS, AND CHOSE THE WAY OF NEW, STRONG POLICIES
- The old Senators and the young Turks differed in their advice - some had been to school - recently.
- Rehoboam chose the advice of the young - for a strong, rough, centralized, high tax, government.
- God led him v.15- like a young goat into the slaughter chute - and Israel split to home- v.16.
JEROBOAM ALSO REJECTED THE OLD-FASHIONED METHODS TO TRY NEW WAYS AND STUMBLED INTO SIN
- Jeroboam was called for the northern 10 tribes - but he could have led them good or ill -
- Instead of friendly rivalry between brothers - v.27 - he feared attending the same church - and split.
- He dreamed up a new theology - it was to save the people, but it was not new! v.28-30
And God led them to the woodshed for their punishment, and allowed them to pick the switch!
THEIR CHILDREN PAID IN BLOOD
Before God judges a nation, He makes them so rotten that all the world blames them
GOD'S GRACE STILL WORKED FOR AWHILE, TO PREVENT THE VIOLENCE OF FAMILY REVOLUTION - DAVID'S LOVE?
- Even in judgement, God is merciful -12:23,24 - a prophet gave God's message to spare fratricide.
- The people at least knew the Lord enough to obey a little - and they were spared for awhile.
- It is too bad that they did not know Him enough to practice II Chr. 7:14 - and have a revival!
BUT JEROBOAM LED THE PEOPLE INTO SIN, AND THEY PAID IN A HORRIBLE WAY, SOMETIMES WITHOUT KNOWING IT
- The false gods, and demonic altars 12:30 and all this because a sin - the people entered in -
- Even after being warned by prophet - he continued - 13:33 - most immoral became priests.
- So God cut off his entire house - 13:34, and Ch. 14 - God will cut off every one that follows him.
AND REHOBOAM ALSO LED THE PEOPLE TO SIN, AND FOLLOWED IN TERRIBLE JUDGMENT TOO - NOT AS BAD - 14:22
- The people of Judah also sinned - 14:22 - even worse than their fathers - how bad? See v.24.
- Rehoboam, even with Solomon's great temple, did not seek the Lord - So God took its gold.
- 14:25-6 tells of Shishak and history lists 1,200 chariots, 60,000 horsemen and a raid for gold-
The rest of I & II Kings is up and down with revival and ruin until 33 bad and 9 good- captivity.
IF GOD ALLOWED THIS TO HAPPEN TO HIS CHOSEN NATION, WHAT DO YOU THINK WILL HAPPEN TO US?
- You can still choose to be on the Lord's side - apply II Chron 7:14 for your own soul and house.
- Prepare yourself to be in a country that faces a cataclysmic judgement - and you can shine!
- You will shine with His light - or with your burning in judgment - choice is yours!
But it had better be made - and you had better prepare for the worst right away.