Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
I Pet. 3:1-14
HOW TO HAVE A HAPPY HOME
Oct 4, 1970 pm
THERE ARE CERTAIN ORNAMENTS THAT TURN A HOUSE INTO A HOME, AND GRACES THAT MAKE IT HAPPY
- The "Likewise" beginning this passage ties it into v.13, 18 and 21 various responsibilities - submit
- Too many couples today concentrate on the physical and material, and miss the social and spiritual
- It takes a heap of living to make a house into a home - submission to each other, suffering for each other, and the generation conflict that matures a family to real love
"LIKEWISE, YE WIVES" - FOLLOW "IN HIS STEPS" 1-6
The greatest plan for the victorious Christian living- mature family relationships- In His Steps
"BE IN SUBJECTION TO YOUR OWN HUSBANDS, THAT THEY MIGHT BE WON BY THE LIFE OF THE WIFE" - V.1
- There were "church widows" then as now - the Bible has a lot to say to them - no other way!
- Subjection - You are built that way - Christ at times strove, then at at times was a lamb - wisdom?
- The scriptures are plain - lead a chaste life in the fear of God-be burdened for your husband!
"ADORN YOURSELF WITH GOD'S JEWELS" - V. 3, 4 - AND THIS MORE THAN ALL ELSE WILL GENERATE LOVE
- The world has ways of adorning - million-dollar industry - most all is PUT ON - it cheapens and spoils
- But God's way of adorning - is PUT IN - meek, quiet spirit, the fruit of Spirit - pearl of great price
- Gal 5:22, I Tim 2:9, 10 - these earn respect of all good men - lead to real love/not lust
LOOK AT THE BIBLE EXAMPLES OF THOSE WHO MADE HAPPY HOMES IN DIFFICULT TIMES, V.5,6
- The Bible says Holy Women of old trusted in God- were in subjection to husbands - Prov 31
- Sarah is mentioned - remember she made a great mistake by trying to solve God's problem!
- So, do well, and don't be afraid with any fluttering panic - 6b - be a Christian lady
The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world - Rule your home as a steward to your husband and God
"LIKEWISE, YE HUSBANDS," - FOLLOW IN HIS STEPS - 7-
Having a happy home depends a lot on the "head of the household" - does He follow God's order?
THE WORD OF GOD COMMANDS HUSBANDS THAT THEY DWELL WITH THEM ACCORDING TO KNOWLEDGE - 7A
- Too many homes are ruled by feeling - love one moment, hate the next - we need KNOWLEDGE - available
- Men need to appreciate the due relationship - know God's plan and design - God has a purpose
- The man needs to learn tenderness, forbearance, love, and BE the head of the household!
GIVE THEM HONOR, AS TO A WEAKER VESSEL- 7B - WE ARE ALL VESSELS IN GOD'S HANDS - HONOR, DISHONOR?
- Both husband and wife are weak - but the husband is reminded that he must be tender to his wife
- Some men always put down the wife - others are uplifting - which shows real maturity?
- "As heirs together" when temporal bonds are broken - so why not be kind to her now/ or then?
THAT YOUR PRAYERS BE NOT HINDERED! 7C - NO PERSON CAN PRAY ARIGHT WHEN DISOBEDIENT TO GOD!
- Dissention in the home can destroy the prayers of both - so be careful - bitterness destroys!
- The mutual sharing in all things brings great spiritual power - each supplies a part-
- If either one refuse- the other can only be half a person now - so be careful, don't blame
The mutual faith and spiritual encouragement can put a halo around a hovel - joy, happiness
FINALLY, BE YE ALL OF ONE MIND - 8-13
This can reach back to all people, or just be to the home, but we all need to be "in His steps"
HAVE ONE MIND, THE MIND OF CHIRST, AND GOD CANNOT HELP BUT BLESS YOU! 8,9
- Have compassion - sympathizing in all - love as brethren - not just sex, but companionship
- Be pitiful, courteous - yes, even in home -- blessing, not railing - imitate God, not Satan
- God has called us to have Christian grace - so exercise it at home as well as at church!
IF YOU WOULD LOVE LIFE AND SEE GOOD DAYS, THEN DO AS GOD SUGGESTS - V.10,11 YOUR CHOICE- I COUNSEL
- God has given us some eternal principles of the good life- no new morality will change this
- "Refrain" implies an inclination to speak evil - sins of the tongue are common - but like fire
- Pursue peace - seek it - 11b this is worth the effort - if not at home, then not in all the world
THE EYES AND EARS OF GOD ARE OPEN - V. 12, 13 - AND HE KNOWS WHO IS REALLY AT FAULT - SO CAUTION
- The eyes (protection) over the righteous - and ears open to their prayers- so patience, prayer
- His face (judgment) is against them that do evil - and some bring Hell into their own home.
- A woman can follow a blueprint, a man a recipe - can you follow God's plan for a home?
A happy home is not an accident any more than a good cake, or a well-built bookcase
IF YOU MAKE CHRIST THE CENTER OF YOUR HOME, IT CANNOT BUT HAVE JOY - WHAT CAN YOU DO?
- This cannot be done unless husband and wife are both saved - there are ways! Pray - Do -
- If you would follow God's directions, you cannot fail - renew your vows, nourish your love
- If you refuse God's directions, then you cannot have victory - don't fight God-
Shy not right now - let Him know you will do your best to walk "in His steps"