Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
I Tim 5:17-25
HOW TO TREAT A PASTOR
Aug. 19, 1968 am
SOME PEOPLE DO NOT KNOW HOW TO GET THE BEST SERVICE FROM THEIR PASTOR, THE BIBLE TELLS THEM HOW
The Scriptures urge us to give honor to whom honor is due, & God blesses those that honor His word. This portion of the Scriptures tell how to care for widows, and Elders, or Pastors. As God asks double honor for His servants, He gives double blessing to those who obey!
Matt. 10:41,42 promises an unlosable reward and II Kings 4 shows two great miracles-
I. WORTHY OF DOUBLE HONOR v.17-18
As Paul came through Ephesus he ministered to his own needs by tentmaking, Acts 20:34- he writes
A. "LET THOSE WHO LABOUR IN WORD AND DOCTRINE BE COUNTED WORTHY OF DOUBLE HONOR" v.17
- The Elder, Pastor, Prophet, Evangelist, Deacon, Bible Teacher, etc- is worthy of honor -
- If he rules well he is worthy of double honor - I Thes 5:12,13 Esteem highly in love!
- Labor in Word is Preaching, in Doctrine is teaching- most schools started by ministers
B. COUNT THEM WORTHY OF DOUBLE HONOR, For they represent and speak in the place of God!
- Worthy to be listened to- Come to church to hear the message from God's word- this is central
- Worthy to be believed- Spoken- or John 20:31 Written- that you might believe and have life!
- Worthy to be obeyed- Heb 13:17- Obey & submit, though not by constraint - I Pet 5:2
C. FOR THE SCRIPTURE SAITH - PHYSICAL SUPPORT FOR THE MINISTER IS INCLUDED v.18
- OT - Deut. 25:4 Kind to the Ox, and Luke 10:7 quoted as Scripture only 8 years after written!
- Though Paul supported himself, he wrote Gal 6:6- Communicate, I Cor 9:14 - Live by Gospel
- Paul's problem was that the more he loved some folks, the less he was loved- II Cor 12:15 and he wrote I Tim 5:25- Some are rewarded in this life, & some in the life to come.
Some of the greatest service is given by men like Paul today.
II. WORTHY OF FAITH v.19-21
God wants to be believed, and God wants people to believe in His messengers today-
A. DO NOT RECEIVE AN ACCUSATION AGAINST AN ELDER BUT BEFORE TWO OR THREE WITNESSES! v.19
- It is vain to expect spiritual help from a man you do not respect, so Satan tears at respect
- All leaders are exposed to much criticism, & Satan helps if it is a pastor being slandered
- Most pastors would die for their people, only your distrust can keep him from helping so trust him, believe in him, let him be God's man
B. THOSE THAT SIN, FACE FAIRLY v.20
- A minister who is striving to give his all to Christ should not be bothered with trivialities
- But any serious sin should be faced fairly, not behind his back, - nor before the world to mock
- There are some crooks that have invaded the ministry, but deal fairly with them-
C. LET NOTHING BE DONE BY PARTIALITY OR PREFERING ONE BEFORE ANOTHER v.21 "I CHARGE THEE"
- We all have different personalities, but God seriously charges that we show no partiality
- There is no room for playing one minister against another, or judging detrimental to work
- Ours is the only army where the privates get to to choose their generals- but be faithful to God
There will be no room in heaven for cliques- of Paul, or Apollos, so have faith today!
III. WORTHY OF PROPER JUDGEMENT v.22-25
The church and the Pastor must be careful to maintain good judgment with each other
A. DO NOT BE TOO QUICK WITH YOUR ORDINATION, OR RECOGNITION, OR ENDORSEMENT OF A MAN v.22
- We are too quick to follow a slick showman- endorse party candidates- world set for dictator
- Some commentaries say the pastor is not to be too quick with his absolution-forgiveness? Make 'em earn it.
- But more aptly this means the elevation of a man to the ministry- Cf 3:6 It takes time and costs to become pastor.
B. DO NOT BE TOO QUICK TO CONDEMN OR JUDGE THE ONE CALLED OF GOD TO BE AN ELDER. v.23
- Timothy was conscious of not offending anyone- cf. Rom. 14:21 & 3:3a - used no wine-
- The purpose of wine by Roman Army - water purifier 1/8 parts- Prov. 23:31 warned of red wine
- Paul told Timothy to use a little wine, not "water only" - Don't kill yourself to please some person who griped all the time.
C. SOME MEN'S SINS GO BEFORE TO JUDGMENT, SOME FOLLOW AFTER v.24
- Schofield- Pg. 1351, lists 7 judgments, John 12:31 the Cross; later- Rev. 20:13 White Throne
- Also, some rewards are realized now- well rewarded; the others will be rewarded later- v.25
- I'm glad my Sins were judged on the cross, & those I notice now I confess, I hope yours too.
And what a wonderful thing to serve a Lord that will not forget Matt 19:29, 25:40
GOD TELLS US WHERE TO FIND HELP TO SALVATION AND THE REWARDING LIFE, WILL WE OBEY?
Send your sins ahead to be judged, by receiving Jesus Christ as your Saviour NOW!
Be faithful to God's word, in His Calling for you- whether minister, or not- serve Him
You can be sure that God will not leave himself in debt to any person, but some comes later.