Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
I Tim 6:11,1,20
FLEE, FOLLOW, FIGHT, KEEP
Aug. 19, 1968 pm
A YOUNG MAN WAS LEFT AS PASTOR OF A CHURCH IN THE SIN CAPITOL OF THE WORLD - HARD JOB
With all of the problems in Ephesus, Paul wrote Timothy a brief formula for success in life. These instructions have been given to young people throughout the centuries to urge them ahead. These key words are sharp, powerful, dramatic- that which is worthwhile is not easy.
BUT THOU, O MAN OF GOD:
I. FLEE THESE THINGS 6:11a - Flee the Carnal Sins of Life
The basic sins that overcome men are spiritual sins- flee them like you would a flood of snakes
A. FLEE THE SINS BASED ON SPIRITUAL PRIDE, FALSE INTELLECTUALISM, & FOOLISH QUESTIONS v.3-5
- The Gnostics, pagan philosophers, Judaisers doted on questions, words, disputings I Tim. 1:4,6,7 II Tim 3:7
- If any teach contrary to sound truth- from such withdraw thyself- Be careful of company
B. FLEE THE SINS BASED ON CARNAL DESIRE FOR POSSESSIONS AND PHYSICAL GAIN v. 9-10
- The lust for money, v.10, desire to be rich v.9 brings with it many temptations and hurts
- Those who have riches must be careful to trust in God, not in their riches - v.17 Ephesus was wealthy
C. THE ANTIDOTE FOR BOTH SINS IS GODLINESS WITH CONTENTMENT v.6-8
- Since you can't take these things with you, be content with life, and seek God-Like-Ness
II. FOLLOW AFTER RIGHTEOUSNESS v.6:11b
The list of basic virtues must be pursued, followed, sought after, worked to achieve
A. RIGHTEOUSNESS - Not of this world's counterfeit, but the practical Christian walk - "In His Steps"
- Isa 61:10 tells us the Robe of Righteousness is a gift from God, with our Salvation
B. GODLINESS - Not the counterfeit of estheticism, but the practical pursuit of moral attributes.
- While the pagans seek to make their gods like themselves- we seek to be like our Lord.
C. FAITH, LOVE, PATIENCE, AND MEEKNESS -Young and Old alike- here are goals worth following:
- FAITH - build your life on belief, not on doubts. Listen to God, Believe Him, Act on it.
- LOVE - motivated by the noble, holy, compassion- God's Gift, not the counterfeit Diana!
- PATIENCE - To trust God in His time, and let Him fulfil His will without rushing Him- NOW?
- MEEKNESS - Use your strength in Humility, Only the Strong and Self Controlled can be Meek.
III. FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT OF FAITH v.6:12a
The basic strength of Christianity was in man's knowledge that Faith was to be fought for!
A. THE CHRISTIAN FAITH IS A FIGHT AGAINST THE WORLD, FLESH, AND THE DEVIL* NOT Pacifism, Cowardice.
- Jesus said "I came not to send peace, but a Sword" Matt 10:34, and Buy One- Luke 22:36
- Paul wrote- "Put on the whole armor of God" Eph 6:11, and you can't spiritualize all of it
- To Timothy he wrote- "Strive lawfully"- II Tim 2:4,5 - There are rules, can't win without 'em.
B. TIMOTHY HAD A REAL FIGHT IN EPHESUS NOT TOO DIFFERENT FROM OURS TODAY - Carnality, Apostacy.
- The youthful lusts that war against the soul- Temple of Diana- Commercial Vice-
- The army of false cultists, apostacy in the church- I Tim 1:18b,19,20 - cast out false ones
- The Giant of Doubt - Lay hold on Eternal Life v.12b - cf 1:15b,16b - Belief in Him!
IV. KEEP THAT WHICH IS COMMITTED TO THY TRUST I Tim 6:20
The basic danger- the loss of all gained by not being faithful to trust.
A. KEEP THAT WHICH IS COMMITTED TO THY TRUST* Cf II Tim 1:12,14 KEEP SOUND DOCTRINE
- Satan would destroy the faith of the Christians of Ephesus with impurities if he could
- He would tempt them to stumble over empty discourses, dialectic antithesis
- The Oppositions of Science - falsely so-called - the Greeks had much truth, more theory-
B. FAITHFULNESS AND STABILITY IS TO BE EXPECTED OF CHRISTIANS - DO NOT BE SOON MOVED
- The Ever Learning & Never Able to come to Truth- II Tim 3:7 & 4:3 Itching ears-
- Do not fall for the fads that fool people - Old Evolution, or New Sensitivity Training
V. KEEP THE COMMANDMENT UNSPOTTED UNTIL THE APPEARING OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST* 6:14
- He alone has the power, glory, royalty, immortality, light, & Truth above all- v.15,16
- You can know the Lord Jesus Christ, IF you will seek Him in the Word of God-
- His coming is soon, we will not have to "hang on" long. Trust Him, and love Him
YOU CANNOT FOLLOW THESE RULES TO SUCCESS UNLESS YOU ARE BORN AGAIN* Jn 3:16
All eternity hangs on what you do about Jesus Christ- Will you place your trust in Him?
Then He becomes your constant companion and friend to guide you and help you
And his return to earth becomes the greatest motivating truth you have ever touched.