Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
II John 10,11
DANGERS IN HOSPITALITY
Nov 8, 1970 am
WE OFTEN FACE TERRIBLE CONFLICT WITHIN OUR SOULS BECAUSE WE DO NOT KNOW THE WORD OF GOD
- In an age of assault against decency we are told we must be courteous - give in - to the devil
- God's word is twisted into a double standard - "Love thy enemy" - but not "fight the good fight of faith."
- We need to use wisdom in studying God's word carefully to truly know our action -
For if Satan can corrupt the direction of Christian Grace - it can become a vice!
"LOVE IN THE TRUTH" - II JOHN 1
There is no better person to tell us of this truth than the disciple whom Jesus loved - John 13:23
"THE ELDER UNTO THE ELECT LADY AND HER CHILDREN WHOM I LOVE IN THE TRUTH" - II JOHN 1:
- We need a lot more sincere love today, within the church- between all people-
- We are so afraid that Christian men and women might corrupt each other that we aren't even civil
- The terms- Sister and Brother - have been so corrupted that many evade it - but what of its spirit?
"WE LOVE" "FOR THE TRUTH'S SAKE, WHICH DWELLETH IN US - FOREVER" - V.2
- The reason why we should have a special love for each other is because of Christ's love-
- If He dwells within us, we should have a natural love, one for the other - not jealousy - love
- We should love - for truth's sake - because we truly know Him - who is the Way, the Truth, and the Life
"THE NEW COMMANDMENT - THAT WE LOVE ONE ANOTHER" - V.5
- John should know this well - he was with the disciples in John 13- arguing over who is greatest
- In the Vine & Branches - John 15:12 a new commandment - love one for another-
- If Satan is going to trap us he will have to do it by misdirecting our virtues, and
God commands that we walk in that love - but not everyone walks in that love - watch out
"BUT THERE ARE DECEIVERS" - II JOHN 7-9
Some people try to look at the entire world through rose-colored glasses - they are blind
THE DECEIVERS DO NOT CONFESS THAT JESUS CHRIST IS COME IN THE FLESH - V.7
- Is there any religious system that does not confess the reality of Jesus Christ - in flesh?
- Like Political Candidates today- none are against law and order - then why so much disorder?
- The fact remains that many do not believe in deity and humanity combined in Christ-
"LOOK TO YOURSELF, THAT WE LOSE NOT THOSE THINGS WHICH WE HAVE WROUGHT" - V.8
- The purpose of a deceiver is to steal something that we have, or that we might have!
- The first purpose of Satan is to prevent you from knowing Christ as your Saviour - has he done it?
- If he fails in this - he then tries to get you to be a defeated, miserable, wretch - no souls
"HOLD THAT FAST WHICH THOUGH HAST, THAT NO MAN TAKE THY CROWN" - REV 3:11
- To become a victorious, dynamic, effective, fruit bearing Christian takes wisdom and grace
- Without that wisdom, Satan will get you deceived, and your energy will be wasted-
- If you show good hospitality to modern hitchhikers - or burglars- you may lose much -
Get entangled with any of the many false cults - and lose your soul's fruit
"RECEIVE HIM (DECEIVER) NOT" - V.10,11
We must have wisdom to hit the straight path the Lord wants us to walk - beware
IT IS PLAIN FROM GOD'S WORD THAT WE ARE TO BE GIVEN TO KINDNESS AND HOSPITALITY
- The pastor and deacon are commanded to be given to hospitality - I Tim 3:2 - strangers in the night
- Many have entertained angels unawares - Heb 13:2 (don't give child's bread to beggars)
- But also do not be fooled - certain ones have crept in unawares - Jud 4
IF WE ENTERTAIN THE WRONG ONES, WE DO EVIL - EVEN TO WISH THEM GODSPEED - II JOHN 10,11
- I Cor 5:9 we are not to company with fornicators - v. 10 note "Railors"-
- There is one law for a brother who is weak - I Thes 5:14, but Gal 6:1 has a warning
- But if a brother is in deliberate sin - II Thes 3:14-15 - or a troublemaker - Rom 16:17
- But II John is regarding an apostate - false doctrine- no salvation- still- no railing - Jud 9
BE NOT A PARTAKER WITH THEM IN THEIR EVIL DEEDS - II JOHN 11
- Gameliel's advice in questionable things - Acts 5:38-39 leave them alone - is good!
- There is no cause to criticize a brother to death - then embrace the serpent's fangs
Use good sense in your Christian life- do not be tricked out of your reward!
WE NEED A REVIVAL OF RESPONSIBLE RIGHTEOUSNESS EXPRESSED OPENLY
- If you love the Lord Jesus- don't let being thought a sissy keep you from saying it!
- Do not demand perfection of other Christians- and do not excuse Satan's followers!
- Learn the strength and glory of Christian fellowship- open-hearted joy - in Church