Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
II Tim 1:13,14
THINGS WORTH KEEPING
Aug 30, 1970 am
TODAY MEN ARE THROWING AWAY THEIR PRICELESS INHERITANCE FOR SAVAGE ANIMALISM
- God has given us great natural treasures through creation, and we are polluting and destroying them.
- God has given us great eternal spiritual treasures through salvation, and this is being lost.
- God has permitted us great social treasures through Christian heritage - U.S.A., and is wasting
- Unless we exercise great care, we shall lose everything committed to our trust! Let's study three ways!
AN EXPOSITOIN OF II TIM 1:14, 7
The good thing which was committed unto us is described in V. 7 as God's gift.
GOD HAS NOT GIVEN US A SPIRIT OF FEAR, BUT OF POWER!
- Men today have power - nuclear, jet, hydraulics, transistor - every power available today.
- Yet, the "Black Power," "Flower Power," "Pot Power," "Student Power" - has us frightened.
- Paul from prison wanted Timothy to know the power in Christ - Phil 3:10 of resurrection.
GOD HAS NOT GIVEN US A SPIRIT OF FEAR, BUT OF LOVE!
- The world knew erotic lust, Phileo friendship, but Jesus brought the agape love - gift to man.
- Today, sex power - like nuclear power, is exploited for man's purposes, and brings chain reactions.
- But the person who accepts God's love - salvation - and who lives it has Christian victory!
GOD HAS NOT GIVEN US THE SPIRIT OF FEAR, BUT OF A SOUND MIND.
- Timothy knew philosophy, aestheticism, and also mind-destroying drugs - sorcery - but God spoke.
- Today the "sound words" are debunked, and humanism is substituted in our schools - no peace.
- In Christ we can think soberly, have our minds renewed, and can have inner peace and a sound mind.
We must hold fast to these positive features of the Gospel, or our loss is great! V.13
A TOPICAL STUDY OF "KEEP"
There are many cross references to the words "hold fast" and "keep" - study and gain greatly.
- I Tim 6:20 "Keep that which is committed to thy trust" - the eternal gospel of salvation
- The threat was science (knowledge) falsely so called - and we have evolution
- II Tim 4:7 "I have kept the faith" - this experience has been stolen from us - Keep Faith
- The threat today is from those who would pollute faith in God with faith in man!
- I Tim 5:22 "Keep thyself pure" - not personal sin, but from other men's sins!
- The threat was showing preference - approving the sins of special friends - ministers
- James 1:27 "Keep himself unspotted from the world" - here it is personal worldly sin!
- The threat was the pollution of worldliness that saps the virtue of the Christian
- Eph 4:3 "Keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of of peace" - positive Christianity
- The threat was the fault-finding spirit - warring with Christians
- John 14:15 "If ye love me, keep My commandments" - very practical from Jesus -
- The threat was a hypocritical lip service to Jesus without living His will
- Jude 1- Thank God that we are preserved (kept) in Jesus Christ - but we have a job too!
- Rev 3:11 - If we do not hold fast, some man will take our crown - we will lose our joy.
THE PRACTICAL MESSAGE - SOME THINGS WE MUST KEEP, OR LOSE THEM
EVERY AGE HAS ITS DETRACTORS FROM THE GOSPEL - Judaisers, liberals, modernists - or new evangelicals
1. Make Bible fit science
2. Re-examine inspiration, eschatology
3. Discount dispensationalism - Scofield
4. Stress social involvement more than spiritual
5. Emphasize formal scholarship - so knowledge/spiritual
6. Work with liberals, humanists - for recognition
WE NEED TO KEEP THE FUNDAMENTALS OF THE FAITH - 9 principles
1. Inspiration of Scriptures
2. The Trinity
3. Deity of Christ
4. Creation & fall of man
5. Substutionary death for just
6. Bodily resurrection of Christ
7. Necessity of regeneration in Christ
8. Personal & imminent return of Christ
9. Resurrection & judgment of all
AND OUR CHURCH COUNTS PRECIOUS THE BAPTIST DISTINCTIVES - WE ARE NOT ASHAMED TO BE BAPTISTS
1. Bible is all sufficient rule, in faith & practice
2. Assurance of Salvation in Christ
3. Priesthood of each believer
4. The New Testament Church - local & redeemed members
5. Immersion of all believers - testimony of salvation by faith
6. Separation of Church and State, and Believer from World
7. The Lord's Supper in memory of Him
If you do not keep them, they will be lost!
WE NEED PEOPLE WHO WILL HELP US KEEP THE GOOD THINGS COMMITTED INTO OUR TRUST - WILL YOU?
- If you do not want all that made America great destroyed - start by accepting Christ as your Saviour.
- The best way to be a "conservative" - keep what is tried and proven - is to be a Church Member
- The only way to conserve what the Lord has given to you is to serve Him faithfully!