Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
II Tim. 2:1-10-26
May 16, 2004
LAST LETTERS FROM APOSTLE PAUL * THOU*THEREFORE*CHARGE * Emphasis
- Thou-25 yrs, Charge- 8, Therefore-10, Something for YOU
- As a Teenager- these verses gave me a PURPOSE driven life.
- Preaching is Truth through Personality- In this passage God gave Paul many different figures of speech, Illustrations.
I took them PERSONALLY - What about You? -Mark them
I. PAUL'S WORDS - THOU THEREFORE MY SON!- & Dau-2:1
It takes real strength to Serve the Lord - He gives it to you
A. TIMOTHY HAD BEEN RECRUITED BY PAUL * SO HE DEALS WITH HIM AS A SON - WHO DO YOU LOOK TO AS YOUR EARTHLY SPIRITUL FATHER?
- Words emphatic- You- then, Gospel is Personal- Vicks Salve-
- "Be strong in Grace"-not self, but His Grace-so EXERCISE!
- Note apostolic Succession -"Things heard, commit thou to faithful men-who shall teach others- YOU are teaching?
B. EXAMPLES GIVEN OF DISCIPLESHIP - ALL DIFFERENT - SO ARE YOU
- ENDURING -v.3, good soldier-basic training for battle -discipline
- CONSECRATION v.4- not entangled- full attention to Lord Loyalty to Purpose- follow the Flag- huddle for signals! We need FAITHFULNESS today- don't let world seduce you -James-4:10, cares of world- Matt 13:22, Love of world- I John 2:5
- MASTERING AND STRIVING -v.5, Athletic terms- Olympics Strive lawfully, Every Profession has code of conduct-Pastor- laws of God + social customs- Politics-Marathon
- PARTAKING OF THE FRUITS -v.6, Note change Illustration-Now a farmer-Patient- awaiting fruit-working year round Farmer gets 1st reward- & Pastor 1st at Pot Lucks-& Stoop labor, long hours, tied to sod, fleece the flock- ?:
- CONSIDER - LORD GIVE THEE UNDERSTANDNTG v.7 Meditation! Get Facts, Wisdom, & GungaDin Faithfulness- keep notes, Listen to Elders-advise, maxims, proverbs, parables, Irony and be careful to note sarcasm, burned out griping, etc.
v.8 Remember what Jesus did for you- Passion! Resurrection! Be faithful in following Christ- learn to endure - Stay
YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A PASTOR... HOW DOES GOD CALL ONE?
II. PAUL'S WORDS APPLIED TO A BOY
A history of the old pastor standing before you- & Wife!
A. A BOY CRIPPLED BY PERSONALITY & WEEKNESS - CALLED OF GOD
- Farm boy- Glendale, flunked 1st Grade, Middle child, Red head, snaggled tooth, self conscious, introvert, fearful
- But NAMED & CALLED by God- 3 times in Youth, trained
- Followed another out of Choir to answer call to Ministry
B. TRAINED BY ADVERSITY -Dyslexia, short on schooling, long on work
- Taking Notes in S.S. leading Youth Group, taking advice, Listening to elders.
- Trained in world- Football, Valley BYF, 1st class- ABI-
- Leaving home- Biola -6 Wks, Grand Canyon, NAU, Janitor-HS, Col, Pastor-S.S. Mission, Denver-Tours Hotel-CCU Clifton-lived in Wood Church, Deput Assessor; CAP, Radio, Camps
- CALLED -WHBC-1955-Phoenix Fundamental Baptist Church -special challenge- ABC A lot of heartaches, lots of love, effective teamwork, Joy Special Agape love- touching young lives. sending out Ministers
- When Gov Williams spoke to my old home church,. he told them they had "unleashed an unusual pastor-not another like him I've enough sense to realize and thank God for what God has done through Pastor & Mrs. Wesley A. Darby- a team!" Named before birth- Arminian, Calvinist- & Apostle in middle.
III. WHAT NOW?
A. WHAT IS AHEAD FOR THIS CHURCH - THE LORD IS COMING SOON*
But Until He does- YOU have a job - good leaders - but do you have good followers- Next Sunday - John 21!
- Let your leaders lead - Spiritually, business matters- God has a calling for each of you- be FAITHFUL: not presumptuous
- Choose a Godly Pastor - break him in Gently - with Love!
- Plan ahead - Short range & long range- keep information-
B. SO WHAT DOES IT MEAN-?v.19 The Lord Knows
- Do you know your are Born again?- He knows His Own! He will not deny you!
- Are YOU abiding faithful? If so discipline to His Word
- Do YOU need to sign on the dotted line? Have you?
- Now is the time- If you want real assurance- Accept Christ!
- If you really want to serve Him- Declare your call
- If you want to be a part of the Family- JOIN the Church