Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
III John 4 (Read 2-4)
NO GREATER JOY
Nov 15, 1970 am
THE APOSTLE OF LIFE AND JOY IS JOHN, THE BELOVED; HERE HE TELLS OF SPECIAL TYPE OF JOY
- Mark each key message - John 20:31 (Salvation) I John 1:4 (full joy) II-10 (care) III-4 (walk)
- Notice what the Ancient One found joy in, and give joy in your youth, and seek it in your old age
- He urged the personal joy of walking in truth, and he had joy vicariously when his children did.
In our troubled world, we could well copy his formula and find satisfaction as he did.
AS THY SOUL PROSPERETH - III JOHN 2B
God wants us to have a well-rounded, full, prosperous, meaningful, purposeful life- body, soul and spirit
THE CONNECTION BETWEEN PHYSICAL AND SPIRITUAL GOOD HEALTH, BOTH ARE NEEDED - V.2
- John knew about this prosperity in spiritual things - he had heard the good gossip- need today
- But as an old man, he cared about the body too
- We need give as great a care for soul as we do body - we spend billions on social welfare/what of spiritual welfare?
REJOICE TO HEAR OF THE TRUTH IN THEE EVEN AS THOU WALKEST IN THE TRUTH - V.3
- The brethren testified to John that Gaius walked in the truth - he made decisions true to light
- He did so because the truth was in him - Jesus is the way, truth and life, and He shone in Gaius.
- Some try to walk true, but have no truth in them - some think because they have Him - no need to walk
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO WALK IN THE TRUTH? READ MATT 7:13,14, LOOK UP WALK IN THE BIBLE INDEX
- Every road has corners, intersections, branches, maybe two ways to go, but only one is best!
- We have the choice at every intersection, but we love wandering, and a long way home will pay for it
- No one can make your decision for you - you walk in the truth or a lie! Less than the best is a lie.
We make things very complex - much knowledge, but wisdom is taken one step at a time - simple!
NO GREATER JOY - III JOHN 4
The very young are carried, the mature do for themselves, the aged have to watch things done - JOY
I HAVE NO GREATER JOY THAN TO HEAR THAT MY CHILDREN WALK IN THE TRUTH - V.4
- I was thrilled when Carol was elected Queen, also, Susan winning the District Golf Championship, Dianne winning the race, Wayne and Terry winning at Football, but also to get Jim home safe; Gary OK, Bill - not heart.
- Was a thrill to hear of Dave and Ken doing well in camp, Jim and Miles special help - I felt good
BUT THERE ARE DIFFERENT JOYS WHEN MATURITY BEGINS TO BRING RIGHT DECISIONS ON THINGS
- Carol stood up a dance to go with Dave, John wrote a paper on evolution, Linda ---
- When maturity brings choice of life partners, and pastor helps (gets in trouble - boy saves me)
- The special joy when a couple has first baby, extra pleasure when the baby is named Wesley, Andrew, Darby
BUT THERE ARE GREATER JOYS WHEN OUR CHILDREN WALK IN THE GREATER SPIRITUAL TRUTH - VICTORY
- When Kenny taught his first Sunday School class, Ralla went to Africa, Jerry was ordained,
- When Kim walked forward to confess Christ - one brought a friend and Jim won him to Christ -
- George - alcoholic - kept trying and won, boys chose to bring pastor narcotics and pornography instead of keeping them
It is a joy to see my children do right - walk in truth - reject the lie - fight Satan - love Jesus
THOU DOEST FAITHFULLY, BUT! - III JOHN 5
John uses the sandwich method, for his only criticism, his only threat - and it is real!
BELOVED, THOU DOEST FAITHFULLY WHATSOEVER THOU DOEST TO THE BRETHREN AND TO STRANGERS - V.5
- Gaius' record of his kindness, generosity, was given to John - and he showed love in Church - 6
- He faithfully entertained the traveling saints - sent them forward with help - did well - 6
- When he saw the truth, great or small, he walked in it! But he allowed a situation -
BUT DIOTREPHES LOVETH TO HAVE THE PREEMININCE, PRATING WITH MALICIOUS WORDS, NOT CONTENT - 9-11
- Gaius must have let this proud, ambition, malicious, despotic rascal get into power.
- This is the only threat from John, v.10, Paul does so to Corinth - but this is really bad!
- If we tolerate such a person, or follow them, it is evil - v.11 do not be misled!
DEMETRIUS HATH GOOD REPORT OF ALL MEN, AND OF THE TRUTH ITSELF; YEA AND WE BEAR RECORD - V.12
- This is great - he is only mentioned here - but only a good report - what report do you have?
- Is he the other leader in the church? Even truth itself proclaimed a good report on him!
- There is room for all types to make the right decisions, do good, and be praised of God!
God has much to say to us - v. 13 - but not all in writing - listen to Holy Spirit - do good
THE LORD SHALL SEE US ALL SHORTLY; WILL IT BE A GOOD REPORT, OR A TIME OF SADNESS?
- Will you let the Lord guide you the next step you should take for His glory - Confess Him
- Will you dare to go all the way with the Lord - Demetrius did, and the record is clear
- Will you give your pastor joy today by making the right decision for Christ?