Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
THE COMFORT WE SEEK
Mar. 23, 1969 am
THE WORLD WAS ABOUT TO FOLD IN ON ISRAEL, BUT GOD GAVE THEM A PROMISE OF HOPE
- In the midst of captivity- Isaiah, like John on Patmos- Rev 1:10- is lifted in spirit to promise
- Isaiah (The Salvation of Jehovah) & John-Jehohanan (The Grace of God) speak heart-to-heart!
- In the midst of the cold blast of captivity comes the promise of brighter & happier times-
There are three great announcements given here; listen carefully to emphasis
I. "COMFORT YE MY PEOPLE, SAITH YOUR GOD" Isa 40:1-2
This announcement, repeated for emphasis- the blaze of hope in the midst of a dark age!
A. "COMFORT YE, COMFORT YE" AND "SPEAK YE COMFORTABLY" - SUCH A CHANGE FROM THE BLAST OF JUDGEMENT
- "Cry unto her that her warfare is accomplished" -Say the battle is over; no more fight, trouble-
- "Her iniquity is pardoned" - the sins have been expiated, paid for, no longer held against her
- The city so long down-trodden, now all her troubles are over- punished enough, it is over!
B. "MY PEOPLE" THE TREMENDOUS WORD "AMMI" CHANGED FROM THE LO AMMI OF Hos 1:9
- The limitless significance of one word meaning "My People"- no longer without a sense of belonging
- So long Jerusalem has been as Hos 1:6,9- unpitied, and not My people! But now received again!
- Those who are "My people" will not be left to wander through life without a God to guide them
C. "SAITH YOUR GOD" THE GREAT IMPACT TO A DESERTED PEOPLE* MY PEOPLE AND YOUR GOD!
- He is the God of the living, not the God of the dead - what about it now, for YOU?
- Is He YOUR GOD? Saul told Samuel to pray to "thy God"- I Sam 15:21
- It is comfort to know that He is the God of the Prophet- but is He YOUR God?
Even in the midst of impending catastrophe, God has a great message for those who will listen
II. "PREPARE YE THE WAY OF THE LORD" Isa 40:3-8
There are two voices in this second section- make sure that you properly identify them!
A. THERE IS THE VOICE CRYING IN THE WILDERNESS 3a SOMEONE GOING BEFORE THE KING
- This voice is clearly recognized as that of John the Baptist - John 1:23 Greatest born of woman
- He is prophesied also in Mal 3:1 - the messenger going before the king, Oriental custom
- Like the cunning workmen who wove the veil for the tabernacle, so every thread of picture of Christ
B. "PREPARE YE THE WAY OF THE LORD" 3b CRYING TO ALL THE PEOPLE IN THE HIGHWAY OF LIFE * GET READY
- "Make straight in the desert" - the world seems to be a desert; hot, dangerous, dry, no life
- "Fill in and straighten" - not crooked like Jacob, or up and down like Peter - but direct
- "Make the rough places plain- smooth" - the temper, pride, self-will, all made ready for the King
C. "ALL FLESH SHALL SEE THE GLORY OF THE LORD, FOR THE MOUTH OF THE LORD HATH SPOKEN IT" 2nd VOICE!
- If John the Baptist is the first voice- then the second voice is Jesus, and He is Lord Jehovah!
- Not everyone saw the Baby Jesus, not many saw Jesus the teacher, and not everyone today believes
- But Phil 2:10,11 prophesy tells that every knee shall bow and every tongue confess- all see HIM.
God will fulfill His Word - choose to receive it today- and enjoy it! Or- wait until then and be forced.
III. "HE SHALL FEED HIS FLOCK LIKE A SHEPHERD" v11
O the amazing gentleness and love of the Almighty God- seen through His great power- through the captivity.
A. "O ZION, LIFE UP THY VOICE, BEHOLD YOUR GOD!" Isaiah 40:9
- Psa 68:11 The Lord gave the Word, great was the company of those that publish it- (feminine)
- Be not afraid, lift up your voice- have you told someone this week about the good news? Jesus saves!
- In the midst of impending judgement the message was- point forward to when Jesus will come
B. THE LORD WILL COME WITH A STRONG HAND Isa 40:10, BUT THIS TIME THE STRENGTH WAS TO HEAL!
- God will make right all wrongs, He will heal our wounds, He will bring peace forever - hurry, Lord!
- All governments will be swept aside as failures- the autocrat, democrat, communist, dictator-
- The stern side of His judgment and power to defeat is not stressed- but His comfort, reward
C. "HE SHALL GATHER THE LAMBS WITH HIS ARMS AND CARRY THEM IN HIS BOSOM" Isa 40:11 - SO SWEET
- The nations are but a drop in the bucket v.15, what He wants is His lambs- the 90 and 9.
- He that sitteth on the circle- v.22, though so great He cares tenderly for His lambs- are you one?
- "And shall gently load those that are with young" - not hard judgement, but gentleness (not now).
Do you belong to Jesus? If so, you can look through our current conflict to this peace!
IN THE TIME WHEN SIN IS ABOUT TO BRING GOD'S JUDGEMENT LIKE A FLOOD, GOD OFFERS COMFORT
- You will never be able to find peace or comfort anyplace but in the Lord Jesus Christ!
- As the world seems to collapse about you, your only comfort will be found in Him.
- If you will accept Jesus, and walk with Him, He will hold your right hand- Isa 41:13