Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
A SIGN GIVEN BY THE LORD
Feb. 23, 1969 am
AHAZ WAS ANXIOUS AS REZIN AND PEKAH CONSPIRED AGAINST HIM, AND HE MADE THE WRONG CHOICE
- As DeGalle wants to conspire against the US, and Nixon goes to Europe, we have deep troubles, too
- But Ahaz chose wrong, and Israel has paid for it ever since. How will we choose - God or man?
- God offered Ahaz help, "If ye will not believe, ye shall not be established" v.9b fits now, too.
The Bible of 2700 years ago fits today's politics like it were just written by Dan Smoot
I. THE SIGN OF THE HELP WE NEED (Isa. 7:10-14)
As nations conspired against Israel, and Ahaz began to look for help, God sends him word v.4
A. "ASK THEE A SIGN OF THE LORD THY GOD?" v.11 GOD OFFERED AHAZ A SIGN OF HIS PRESENCE & HELP
- Ahaz gave a refusal couched in very careful language, pretended to be very spiritual- but wicked
- Ahaz pretended to be a better man than God's messenger, but Isaiah was not impressed -
- The hard facts shown in II Ki. 16, & II Chron 28- Ahaz chose Assyria for help rather than God!
B. "THEREFORE THE LORD HIMSELF SHALL GIVE YOU A SIGN" v. 14a
- God spoke to the house of David- not to just Ahaz but to the nation -One man's decision -many
- God said- "He have wearied me"- Ahaz demanded his own way, & reasoning even in small matters
- The spirit of pride & rebellion reaches in to all ages & all ranks- but God does not stop!
C. "BEHOLD, A VIRGIN SHALL CONCEIVE AND BEAR A SON, AND CALL HIS NAME IMMANUEL" v. 14b
- God's sign is not something easy- it is impossible for a virgin to conceive- defies all of man's reason of science.
- Shall bear a son- great import in a male child- but this fulfills Gen 3:15 - seed of woman!
- The name- Immanuel- means "God with us", though Ahaz would rather have man's hand than God's
Through this mysterious, virgin-born child, God would save Israel - He would become King!
II. THE UNBELIEF OF THE ONE NEEDING HELP
If Ahaz, in the face of two armies would not believe God, why should anyone today?
A. WHEN THE LORD RETURNS, WILL HE FIND FAITH ON THE EARTH? THE QUESTION THEN AND TODAY!
- In 1765 the Deists in England declared that Isaiah was writing this about his own son-?
- Every available explanation to this passage has been forced, rather than just believe God
- In 1952 the RSV Bible tried to pass off on the world that this "sign" was a young woman.
B. THERE IS NO LACK FOR MEN TO PLACE FAITH IN THE FOOLISH PLANS OF MEN, BUT WHO WILL BELIEVE GOD?
- They tell us that this did not say virgin, then that virgin rabbits conceive by electric shock.
- Men cannot believe in God incarnate, but believe newspapers that scientists create life-
- Men cannot believe in one special miracle from God, but will in millions of natural miracles in what they call the chain of evolution.
C. BUT GOD IS NOT SLACK CONCERNING HIS PROMISES II Pet 3:9
- It was 730 years later that Jesus Christ was born according to God's miraculous promise -
- It has been 1973 years since, and Israel is not yet saved - but individuals have believed!
- We find our nation in strangely familiar circumstances- 1/2 of world fallen to Communism, nations plotting against us, we are seeking foolish treaties, and people don't want truth!
III. THOUGH SOME REFUSE TO BELIEVE, GOD STILL SAVES THOSE WHO DO!
The spiritual crisis is hidden behind the political noise- do not miss the Son of God!
A. THE CHILD SHALL KNOW TO REFUSE THE EVIL AND CHOOSE THE GOOD v.15,16 CHILD DOES, ADULTS DON'T!
- Butter and honey - the simple natural food of the poor, not the rich banquet of kinds!
- The child is without the natural sinfulness of Israel- virgin born, seed of woman - promised
- But God told Ahaz that before the Saviour would come, both the kings he feared would go!
B. THE LORD SHALL BRING UPON THY PEOPLE THE JUDGEMENT PROMISED OF OLD v.17
- The Saviour Isaiah promised to Israel would not help the faithless- then or now!
- The Lord will shave with a rented razor - v.20 - God's judgment always comes in strange ways-
- Sin is always punished, if a person refuses to take care of it the way God commands!-
C. BUT THERE IS THE PROMISE THAT THE PEOLE SHALL SEE A GREAT LIGHT Isa 9:2
- People who have been in darkness are promised a great light- and so Jesus was born- Matt 1:23
- And Jesus is all that Isa 9:6 calls Him- Wonderful- Prince of Peace-, & government will be His
- But the big question is- will you let Him be all this to YOU now- by faith in Him as Saviour?
Today you trust in Him by faith- but tomorrow the promises of Isa 11 come to pass
DO YOU HAVE FAITH TO BELIEVE IN THE SIGN THAT GOD GAVE TO US? IF SO, WHAT SIGN DO YOU SHOW?
- If you believe God's word and promise, how about doing what God asks - confess Christ!
- Baptism & Church Membership is also a part of God's plan shown in the New Testament-
- Don't laugh at Ahaz for trusting in Assyria if you also trust in the arm of your flesh, your own logic and reason, instead of the Word of God for the plan of salvation!