Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
THE YEAR UZZIAH DIED
Jan. 12, 1969 am
GOD'S WORK IS DONE BY MEN WHO HAVE BEEN TOUCHED PERSONALLY BY A LIVE COAL FROM THE ALTAR
- Isaiah may have come from the school of the prophets, but he was nothing until touched by God
- Calvin, Knox, Luther, Martyr, Wesley, Moody, all were just men, but God touched them
- Our age is in sickening decay like Isaiah's, but where is the touch of God's live coal?
It took the terrible death of Uzziah to get Isaiah's attention to hear God.
I. A TOUCH OF A LIVE COAL
It was not Isaiah's ability or education that made the difference in his life and call
A. "WOE" ISAIAH'S WORD OF CONFESSION * * AN UPWARD VISION * * TO SEE GOD'S HOLINESS (5)
- Isaiah saw the Lord, heard His voice, saw the living creatures, saw the smoke... vision? real?
- The effect was WOE! He was undone, he became conscious of his sin, no self esteem before God
- He already knew the sin of his people, but now he FELT their sin: princes, judges, priests, all.
B. "LO" THE SERAPHIM'S WORD OF CLEANSING * * AN INWARD VISION * * TO SEE GOD'S CLEANSING (7)
- Here is the revelation that God made provision for purification of his sin, and of nations
- The touch of the hot coal to his lips- fear of fire, or trust of God - could he not flee?
- But God's angel pronounced him cleansed (7), purged, - now made fit for service, and could talk
C. "GO" THE VOICE OF GOD WITH A WORD OF COMMISSION * * OUTWARD VISION * * TO SEE GOD'S CALL (9)
- God asked, "Whom shall I send?" - and Isaiah could answer. God asks for volunteers in every age
- When Isaiah volunteered- then God COMMANDED him to GO! God got his attention and permission
- The fact that they knew the job to be hard and hopeless did not remove the command at all!
And God turned this man into the GREATEST O.T. PROPHET and the greatest spokesman for Christ!
II. WHERE IS THE LIVE COAL TODAY?
God is not dead, we are in need like the nation of Israel at that age, why NO SUCH POWER THEN?
A. SOME DO NOT FEEL THE TOUCH OF GOD BECAUSE OF PERSONAL SIN THAT DULLS THEIR SENSES
- We have had much to get a person's attention- Roosevelt's death, Kennedy's- are we unshockable?
- We have much personal sin - in the school of the prophets! But all seem insensitive to sin
- Before Isaiah could be touched he had to feel the sinfulness of his sin! We are Sensitivity Trained
B. SOME DO NOT FEEL THE TOUCH OF GOD BECAUSE OF COLLECTIVE SIN IN THE NATION
- Some won't yield to God because they see the sin & faults of others, churches, pastors, bickering
- Some know that to say YES to God would place them up for criticism of many- & can't take criticism
- Some cannot hear the voice of God at all, because they are too much at home in this world
C. SOME DO NOT FEEL THE TOUCH OF GOD BECAUSE OF MISTAKEN IDEAS OF GOD'S CALL
- Some feel that they must have a vision, a bolt from the blue like Isaiah- yours might be different
- Some feel that they must have fun first, - Take God's call & have thrills, excitement
- Some feel that they lack the power, can't do the job- remember that God provides the live coal
Unless we have some more people in our nation listening to God, how can He save us?
III. LET GOD TOUCH YOU WITH THE LIVE COAL!
You might not be another Isaiah, but God never fails to have something to say if you listen
A. GOD WANTS TO TOUCH YOU WITH THE VISION THAT BRINGS CONVICTION TO YOUR HEART - "WOE"
- There is no lack of sin, but no conviction, contrition, confession, -deep feeling of guilt!
- Until you know, and admit YOUR OWN SIN, feel the horribleness of it, cry WOE- God can't help
- Look through the clouds of smoke and see Jesus- Luke 5:8 -Peter- "I am sinful" - Don't cover it- confess it!
B. GOD WANTS TO TOUCH YOU WITH THE COAL THAT BRINGS CLEANSING TO YOUR LIPS - "LO"
- There is no live coal power like that of the shed blood of Jesus Christ on Calvary's cross
- If you are afraid of the fire, and do not let His Blood touch you, you cannot be saved
- All of God's empowering is centered around the touch of His Son in your life-He says cleansed.
C. GOD WANTS TO TOUCH YOU WITH THE WORD OF COMMISSION THAT SENDS YOU FOR HIM - "GO"
- Not everyone is called to be preachers, prophets, but all are called to go witness!
- The joy of leading a person to Christ, as pastor, or as simple soulwinner- no greater joy.
- If you won't go, you can't be empowered! So go- to mission, hospital, homes, S.S. class, fishing-
God changes lives that are willing- start serving and you might become His Isaiah for today!
GOD HAS CALLED YOU- HE HAS A CALLING JUST FOR YOU IF HE CAN GET YOUR ATTENTION!
- Have you received Christ as your personal Saviour? Lips and life made clean by Salvation?
- Do you walk in scriptural obedience? Baptism, church membership, practical service?
- Lift your eyes to the throne room of God to catch a vision of His call for you!