Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
WHY WE HAVE WARS
Sep 27, 1970 pm
WE FACE AN AGE GROWING IN LAWLESSNESS, A TIME WHEN CHRISTIANS DO NOT HAVE PRAYERS ANSWERED
- The people in the world cry peace, mark every STOP sign, and build conflict in contrasts of sin.
- Christians try to reach out many strange directions, and some find prayers unanswered - strange.
- We need to take a good look at the Bible, its teaching concerning our problems, and believe it.
We would not be so disappointed if we did not have so many false ideas and false expectations.
WHERE DO WARS COME FROM?? - JAMES 4:1A
Many of our wild young people would not be led astray if they could understand basic Bible!
THE JEWS HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A WARRING, TROUBLESOME PEOPLE, AND TOO OFTEN CLOAK IT IN RELIGION
- At the time James was written, they were in continual struggle, rebelling against Rome.
- They ascribed their warring to the desire to free their religious worship - to serve God.
- But the zealots would attack other bands of Jews as readily as Romans - feuds of blood.
THOSE WARS AND FEUDS CAME FROM THE PASSIONS WARRING IN THE NATURE OF EACH MAN - 1B
- God does not tempt us to sin - He may test - but He never leads us into temptation to sin-
- We are led astray by our own lust - and we deliberately stand in the enticement- 1:14
- When that lust is kept, it leads to sin, and sin leads to death- ours or others - 1:15
THE FINAL STEP IN MAN'S SINFULNESS IS WHEN THAT SIN IS CLOAKED IN A RELIGIOUS GARB - V.3
- Some of the worst deeds of history have been committed under religious garb - Inquisition.
- Even man's prayers can be captivated by sin - I listened to a man pray to seduce a woman.
- If these described here are Christians, how awful must the unsaved be? cf I Peter 4:18
And yet the "Beautiful People" have been sold the "Noble Savage" concept - how stupid!
WHAT ARE THE EMOTIONS THAT LEAD TO WAR?? 1B
Whether it is with single men, groups, states, nations, or continents - it works the same.
THERE ARE MANY CATALOGS OF SINS IN THE BIBLE, BUT THIS PASSAGE DOES A GOOD JOB LISTING MANY
- You might mark this list - "The Works of the Flesh" - Gal 5:19-21 - many describe person, not deed
- Add the sins that cause separation to occur between brethren - I Cor 5:9-11 - serious, too.
- Then the sins that keep a person from Kingdom of God - I Cor 6:9-10 and Rev 21:8
THESE LUSTS CAUSE WAR WITHIN OUR OWN MEMBERS, THEN BREAK OUT INTO HUMAN RELATIONSHIPS
- V.2 - Lust, desire, cannot obtain, kill, yet unsatisfied, pray, still unsatisfied - no rest!
- The classical 7 Deadly Sins are cleverly replaced by the opposite - that lead to sinfulness.
- And they - like fires of hell - never have enough - lead men to sinful actions, and nations.
JAMES SPEAKS WITH POWER AND AUTHORITY WORDS THAT NO MODERN MAN WOULD DARE TO USE - V.3,4,5
- It staggers the imagination - these he wrote to were called Christians, but worldly, dispersed.
- In their hearts, they loved the things of the world more than they loved God - and it showed!
- In their actions, they showed enmity toward God- so God resisted them - they were torn within.
These emotions kept bottled cause insanity, turned loose cause war - what can we do?
WHAT IS THE CURE FOR SUCH CONFLICT???
It is easy to tell the lost they need salvation, but what do you tell the saved?
THE FIRST DIRECTION GIVEN BY JAMES IS TO "SUBMIT YOURSELVES, DRAW NIGH TO GOD" - V.7,8
- V.10 Humble yourself in the sight of the Lord- the hardest thing to say - "It's me, O Lord"
- God must resist the proud, the Holy Spirit desires your submission, resist the devil and win!
- The crowning jewel of Christianity- humility, it has its benefit- God will lift you up!
WITH TRUE FORCEFULNESS JAMES COMMANDS, "CLEANSE YOUR HANDS, YE SINNERS" - V.8B
- Sin robs prayer of its power, and leaves us weak - "the prayer of a righteous man availeth much"
- Sampson sinned and wist not that his power was gone - much powerlessness today is from sin
- The only remedy- confess your sin- forsake it - flee from it, make no provision for sins, and win!
JAMES INCLUDED YOUR HEART - IN "PURIFY YOUR HEARTS, YE DOUBLE-MINDED" V.8C - CF 9
- No man can serve two masters - you cannot serve your own lusts and the Lord too! Choose!
- Do not waver- be double-minded- but ask of God the wisdom to have the singleness of heart!
- By filling your heart with God's word, God's way, God's will for your life - you can have that singlemindedness!
When the Christians get right with the Lord, they can guide the world toward peace.
WHEN YOU WALK WITH THE PRINCE OF PEACE, THE WARS AND CONFLICTS OF THE WORLD WILL NOT HURT YOU
- If you do not know the Lord, you must seek Him to have peace with God.
- When you do know Him, you must draw near to Him, abide in Him to have the peace of God
- If you study His word, you will not be ignorant of the struggle in the world- and you will at least be fighting on His side.