Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
Some of the ink on the original document has smudged, making some portions of this document illegible. Rather than assume what Pastor Darby had typed and "fill in the blanks," we've chosen to just note these areas as "(illegible)".
THE BOOK THAT CANNOT BE BURNED
May 25, 1969 am
WHEN MEN REVOLT AGAINST GOD THEIR FIRST BATTLE IS AGAINST THE WORD OF GOD, THE BIBLE
- Israel had been subdued by Egypt, and raided by Babylon- a part of God's judgment on their sin
- We have been subdued by self-seeking materialism, and raided by Communism- how far our judgment?
- The only thing that could have saved Israel was to hear and seek the Truth- and this is the advice that I give to today's graduates- Seek the Truth - only He can save America- or you.
I. THE WORD OF GOD, WRITTEN AND DELIVERED
Many Christians are ignorant of the basic messages, and the history of the Word of God
A. THE WORD OF THE LORD CAME UNTO JEREMIAH v.1
- This phrase, and others like it are repeated 3,800 times in the Bible- It is so, or a fraud.
- No human could have put together a book like this. You could ask v.19 where did it come from?
- The purpose- a ministry of hope- v.3 that Judah might (illegible) repent, seek forgiveness, salvation
B. JEREMIAH WAS TOLD, TAKE THEE A ROLL OF A BOOK AND WRITE
- Ours is a documentary religion; our faith written out and tested through 3,000 years history
- Baruch was the scribe, and through the centuries thousands followed him to copy, write God's word
- Manuscripts - 4,100 OT manuscripts, 13,000 NT, and over 36,000 passages quoted in church fathers-
C. THE COMMAND WAS - GO AND READ THE WORD OF GOD IN THE HOUSE OF THE LORD v.5-8
- Jeremiah had been charged with treason, and could not preach in His own city, or the temple
- God had not called Baruch to be the Prophet, but he could carry the word forth- you can, too.
- If you want the voice of authority in today's confused world- give God's Word - the Gospel
- If men will turn to the written Authority of the Word of God, our nation can survive
II. THE WORD OF GOD, BURNED
The big battle in universities today is to destroy the Word of God, turn to humanism, anarchy
A. THE PRINCES SAID- IF THIS IS THE WORD OF GOD, GO HIDE 17, 18
- The intellectuals want to toy with the word- but they cannot but know its power and fear it
- It is those they pass it on to that burn the word - they at least sent Baruch and Jeremiah to hide
- Josiah when he heard the word of God repented, and God spared the nation for awhile - what now?
B. THE WORD OF GOD WAS CUT AND BURNED v.23 THE SILLY REVENGE OF A STUPID KING COULD NOT STOP GOD
- Just as Jehude cut the word and burned it- there are many preachers today doing the same-
- Since Diocletian in 303 the Bible has been the most burned book of history - Satan led destroyers
- But remember - Acts 19:19- there are some books that should be burned - evil ones-
C. TH(ILLEGIBLE) HAD THE PROPHET OF GOD SOUGHT, BUT GOD HID HIM v.26b
- (Illegible) times the prophet of God would like to hide, and cannot- but Jeremiah did at this time
- In 1534 Tyndale tried to hide, and was trapped, in 1536 he was strangled and burned- for the Bible
- Who was Tyndale? You have the fifth revision of his work in your hand- the KJV- your Bible
Most Bibles today burn through disuse, but don't let Satan steal the priceless book you have
III. THE WORD OF GOD, WRITTEN AGAIN
What God has done before, He can do again- and He is capable of perpetuating His words-
A. THE WORD OF GOD CAME AGAIN TO JEREMIAH v.27
- The real test of God's word is endurance, and the real test of a Christian is endurance
- Whether you receive the Bible or not, it will be fulfilled- nothing can destroy or thwart it
- But some do not like God's word because it tells them what the results of sin will be
B. TAKE ANOTHER SCROLL AND WRITE v.28
- You can count on God's word- God will keep it going, and it will be repeated enough for you
- Do you know what great men have said about the Bible? Cf Halley's quotes-
- But what do you say about the Bible- Its supreme purpose- John 20:31 - don't miss this
C. JEREMIAH TOOK ANOTHER ROLL, AND BARUCH WROTE AGAIN THE WORDS OF JEREMIAH 32
- We should be grateful for the faithfulness of God's men through the years - repeating God's word
- There are many other words besides these - 32b - make your summer project- read your Bible through
- The written Word is the introduction to the Living Word - John 15:7 Let His Word abide in you
There is enough of the Word of God to satisfy your soul- meet your need- lead you to God
THE WORD OF GOD IS A DEAD BOOK UNLESS YOU PUT ITS PRECEPTS INTO PRACTICE
- Confess Jesus Christ as your Saviour before men - Matt 11:32
- Let His word guide your life- and obey it- Baptism, Church Membership, Christian Living
- Your world is going to be destroyed before your eyes, you had better grab and hold one to something that will last- and only the Bible can be a sure anchor for your soul