Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
INCENSE FOR THE QUEEN OF HEAVEN
May 11, 1969 am
JEREMIAH STOPPED A PROCESSION AT THE FESTIVAL OF ASTARTE TO PREACH TO THEM
- Jeremiah had failed at every step, but he still delivered the Word of God on the streets of Egypt
- He asked them- You saw what happened to Jerus (v2), - do you think Egypt can escape? (13)
- With the word of terrible warning- the door of salvation is also open or God would not have spoken to them
When God is through with a group, He withdraws His spirit and they say He's dead.
I. ISRAEL SAID "WE WILL NOT HEARKEN UNTO THE LORD" v.16
Five to ten years after they had moved into Egypt they became haughty, but Jeremiah preached
A. THEN ANSWERED THE MEN WHOSE WIVES BURNED INCENSE UNTO OTHER GODS 15
- This is not meant to blame the women any more than the men, but women are sensitive to idolatry
- When the mothers and wives turn from God, the result is terrible- to some, equal rights = equal sin
- The women of the land turned the hearts of the men to Astarte-many men turned gladly to this sin
B. THE MEN SAID, "WE WILL NOT HEARKEN UNTO THE LORD" v.16
- The men are involved scripturally - the promise of a woman is not binding without OK by husband- Num 30:7,8
- As for the Word- 16a, they knew that the words that Jeremiah spoke came from the Lord
- This is willful, deliberate, forceful, open rebellion against God's word - blasphemy!
C. THEY SAID "WE WILL BURN INCENSE TO THE QUEEN OF HEAVEN" v.17
- According to the Bible, the "Queen of Heaven" is the name given to Astarte- great ceremony- rich-elaborate-beautiful
- They had made vows to Astarte, and would not fail to fulfill them even when God spoke to them
- You would think that God would have forgotten them - but He still offered them His Word- Salvation
No matter how deep into sin, or what kind of sin, God still offers His forgiveness and salvation
II. THEY SAID "OUR LUCK TURNED WHEN WE FORGOT * QUEEN OF HEAVEN" v.18-19
It is amazing how people can misinterpret circumstances to fit their own predetermined desires
A. THE LONGSUFFERING OF GOD IS OFTEN COUNTED AS SLACKNESS AS CONCERNING HIS PROMISES AND JUDGEMENT
- Jeremiah reminded them of God's longsuffering- then when He started His judgment they turned some-
- In II Pet 3:4,9 it pictures the days of the Apostles, and so it is today, too-
- Some mistake God's longsuffering as the satisfaction of their spiritual needs from false Gods!
B. THERE ARE MANY FALSE GODS TODAY THAT PEOPLE TURN TO FOR THEIR SPIRITUAL NEEDS, AND FIND STONE!
- Some seek salvation from the pressure through sensual pleasures - wine, women and song -openly -this great-in-size anti-religious group are doing their thing- getting away with riotousness
- Some seek salvation from guilt through good works- and busy themselves in civic betterment, but if good works could save us, we would have not been lost in guilt to begin with!
- Some seek salvation through religious ritual- exotic, sacramental, psychological gimmicks- but no God
- Some seek salvation through claiming to be saved, and attending a Bible-based church once in awhile, but never worry about most of v.23- obeying God, walking in His law, statutes, testimonies
And because God is longsuffering- the wicked seem to prosper for a season- and boast of it.
III. BUT GOD SAID "THEREFORE NO ONE WILL SAY, 'THE LORD GOD LIVETH'." v.26
Jeremiah spoke out to them in their public place and cried - "Hear the word of the Lord"
A. "BECAUSE YE HAVE NOT OBEYED THE WORD OF THE LORD THIS HAS HAPPENED UNTO YOU" v.23
- Their fathers disobeyed- and were judged- We should look to Germany, France, and England!
- Jeremiah told them to look at the thing that befell them- and they thought they were well-off - (us)
- America today seems to think she is well-off - but we are in the midst of terrible judgement-
B. GOD'S GREATEST CURSE WAS TO PREVENT ANYONE FROM SAYING "THE LORD LIVETH." v.26b
- The final stroke for a people is when they seem to feel that God is dead (they are dead to Him)
- God can withdraw His Spirit and a nation goes through strange confusion- hard on everyone
- This is why we need to cry from the housetops - God is alive, and He cares for men - He sees you.
C. "THAT YE MAY KNOW THAT MY WORDS SHALL SURELY STAND" v.28b, 29 GOD GAVE THEM A SIGN OF HIS POWER
- Two things to prove God's word- first was the judgement of this group of God rejecters- v.8,
- The second thing- that there would be a remnant saved - v.28 - this was physical salvation-
- I am not so concerned about physical deliverances, but spiritually I am glad I am a part of the chosen ones of the Lord to know Jesus Christ as saviour! - How about you?
JEREMIAH PRONOUNCED JUDGEMENT, BUT HE ALSO CRIED "SEEK YE THE LORD" 29:13-14
- You are a part of those who are where people come to seek the Lord- He still saves - seek Him
- But there are many out in this city that will never hear that God can still save- unless you tell them
- God is not dead, and He still cares for the souls of men- won't you tell all you meet?
"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom"