Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
THOSE WHO CRY PEACE
Aug 8, 1971 am
JEREMIAH "THE WEEPING PROPHET" TRIED HIS BEST TO SAVE HIS NATION FROM DESTRUCTION
- Unlike Jonah, he would gladly suffer shame to see his people saved from God's judgement.
- But he had to speak - for almost 500 times in the book, the Lord is identified as directing his words.
- We in America are facing a "peace offensive", grave danger of external attack and internal subversion.
We must have the spiritual resources to face possible captivity and death!
THEY SAY PEACE, PEACE, WHEN THERE IS NO PEACE - 6:14
There are strange trumpets in the land today, and we need to be aware of what is said!
THE LORD DECLARED JUDGEMENT - V.10, BUT THEY WOULD NOT HEAR, NOR HEARKEN TO HIS WORD
- Jeremiah was instructed to find a man to execute judgement and seek truth - 5:1 - and found none.
- God declared he would glean Israel as a vine - John 15, purging, pruning - brings more fruit.
- But when God spoke to them - His words were as a reproach - 6:10b, and they had no delight-10c
THE PROPHETS AND PRIESTS DEALT WITH THE PEOPLE FALSELY, SEEKING PERSONAL GAIN, NOT THE LORD -V.13
- 2:8 the Priests knew not God, pastors sought wealth, prophets spoke for Baal (sex God) - awful.
- With covetousness - 6:13b - they went to abominations - 15a, not ashamed, neither blush - you know.
- They were no worse than the people, but with affluent, sensual, pleasure-mad society.
THEY CRIED PEACE, HEALING THE HURT OF THE DAUGHTER OF MY PEOPLE SLIGHTLY - V.14A - WHAT MEANS THIS?
- As a quack doctor - a salve for cancer - ease the pain, good fee, sent patient home dying - eased.
- But their nation was not warned - summer passed, not saved 8:20, Jeremiah wept for Israel 9:1.
- The false priests of Israel would not allow spiritual or physical strength - disarmed the people.
And 5:31 tells that "My people loved to have it so" - and why? 17:9 heart deceitful.
WE LOOKED FOR PEACE, BUT NO GOOD CAME - JER 8:5
No greater verse in in scripture to show us the results of our false goals, seeking wrong things.
THE FALSE PROPHETS AND PRIESTS MISDIRECTED THE PEOPLE BECAUSE OF THEIR OWN SINS!
- Dr. Walter Wilson - Phx 5-1-62 said, "people seek peace, when God wants to give them Himself as a gift."
- If we will seek the Lord with all our hearts, He will give us love, joy, peace, and all the rest!
- God cried "Use the Word faithfully"- 23:28, but they worked deceitfully- 48:10 peace, not war!
WE IN AMERICA ARE WATCHING THE HARVEST OF THIRTY YEARS' INDOCTRINATION IN PEACE AND DISARMAMENT
- The NCE and WCC came out openly 20 years ago - after "war to end all wars" - peace through disarmament.
- The 1917 Communist promoted their special "peace & disarmament" program - for everyone else!
- Now President Nixon is going to China - to ensure peace (so utterly dangerous - history proves it)!
THE BIBLE WARNS ABOUT CRAFT PROSPERING, AND BY PEACE A WORLD LEADER SHALL DESTROY MANY - DAN 8:25
- I don't shout, nor attack your integrity, nor your intelligence, but try to "Thus saith the Lord".
- I don't criticize everyone, nor claim to be the only right- but we search the Word together.
- I Thess 5:3 screams - this is a spiritual problem - those who cry peace and safety are dangerous!
And those who say, "Don't worry, God will save America" - look at China - NY Times reporter: no Christianity
STAND IN WAYS, ASK FOR THE OLD PATHS - JER 6:16A
We are talking about spiritual and physical survival - is self-perseveration gone? Tricked?
STAND YE IN THE WAYS AND SEE, AND ASK FOR THE OLD PATHS AND WALK THEREIN - 16A
- There are ancient, well-trodden paths, that have changed men's lives - God's Laws, Christ's Word.
- Search for the Lord - 29:13 -with all your heart, and you will find Him - and freedom - 29:14a
- But it is the Jesus way - the New Testament way - the old-fashioned way - on your knees - confess Christ
SEE WHERE IS THE GOOD WAY, AND WALK THEREIN! 16B - THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR ACTION WITH GOD
- Read the Bible with both eyes open, use good Bible helps, let the Holy Spirit guide you, and obey.
- "Mend your ways" Jeremiah says - a familiar word for 2600 years - and still needed - God will help.
- Look around you - The truth works, see what cures addiction, immorality, pride - and walk with the Lord.
AND YE SHALL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. 16C - THE ILLUSIVE DREAM WE SEEK IS OURS WHEN WE SEEK ARIGHT
- If we seek peace and rest, we discover trouble and war - 8:15, the peace talker has no blessing.
- But if we seek the Lord, His will for our lives - His righteousness at any cost - we have rest.
- The more we "endure" for the Lord, the greater the sense of inner peace and rest -- want it?
But they said, "We will not walk therein" 16d - the heartbreak then - but what of NOW?
THE OLD PATHS ARE NOT HARD TO FIND, ANYWHERE, ANYTIME, ON YOUR KNEES (DOWN CHURCH AISLE NOW)
- Quit excusing yourself and seek the Lord NOW. Confess your sins to Him, seek His forgiveness.
- Walk in His way, make the Christ life the very essence of YOUR LIFE! Let Him guide you!
- This way might involve baptism - tonight, Church membership, service for the Lord - NOW!