Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
HOW TO LIVE IN PEACE
Jul 4, 1971 am
On the beginning of the 5-year observance of the 200th Anniversary, look at peace and trouble.
JOB IS A DRAMATIC POEM, A LOFTY ARGUMENT ON WHY A MAN SUFFERS, VIEWED SIX WAYS
- You must study "Job" with great care - since four views are false, one fairly good, and one is from God!
- America has many "Job's Comforters" today, and because of confused "help," is in grave danger.
- We need to know what God's word has to say about peace and trouble; and we need to get our own personal goals straightened up.
We need to learn the only source of peace! Seek it right!
JOB HAD HIS TROUBLES - (SURVEY)
Who knows the author of this? It is beautiful, lofty, most ancient writings in the canon! Hint: Moses.
JOB WAS A MAN WHO WAS PERFECT AND UPRIGHT, AND FEARED GOD AND HATED EVIL - 1:1
- The first few verses show him to be a wealthy patriarch, with a large family and great respect.
- He prayed and sacrificed for his family regularly - 1:5 - covering even the "may be" sins.
- Even God was proud of him v.8, and naturally blessed him- v.10. What is God's opinion of YOU?
BUT SATAN ALSO NOTICED JOB, AND MADE HIM HIS SPECIAL TARGET FOR A SPECIAL TEMPTATION
- Satan took his spite out on Job- and so he will on you, too, if you live godly!
- God allowed Job to be tested - but only within certain bounds - 1:12, 2:6, and He protects you.
- Satan is still the accuser of the brethren - Rev. 12:10, don't help him - plan ahead for yourself as Job did - 1:5
JOB'S FRIENDS CAME TO COMFORT HIM, AND STAYED TO BLAME HIM FOR HIS TROUBLES
- Eliphaz - religious dogmatist - had seen a ghost - 4:15, so he had the answer to every problem.
- Bildad - superficial - knew tradition - could quote a proverb whether it applied or not - Ch. 8
- Zophar - knew all God thought about everything - 11 - and young Elihu- youth 32:6 idealism and high
Their only thought - Job sinned - what did Jesus say? John 9:2,3 - Which today?
JOB HAD LOTS OF ADVICE - JOB 5
Of all the curses on this earth, I can handle my enemies - but Lord help me with my friends!
SOME LOFTY THOUGHTS - MAN IS BORN UNTO TROUBLE AS THE SPARKS FLY UPWARD - 5:7
- V.6 - insinuates that whatever is wrong is not nature's fault - part truth - of Gen 3:17-19.
- V.7 - trouble - labor, and sparks fly upward - because this is the only way they can fly from fire!
- V.8 - if I were in your place I would confess my sin, repeat - because God punishes sin!
AND WHEN THE LORD CORRECTS YOU, YOU WILL BE MADE HAPPY, SO DO NOT DESPISE HIS CHASTENING - V.17
- Search and compare with other scriptures - THINK - 18- when He wounds He heals - True!
- V.19 - He will deliver you from trouble - True! BUT do not forget Matt 5;45!
- Job's counselors gave truths and half-truths, and God's curse was on them - be careful!
BUT WHAT ABOUT THE MATTER OF PEACE, AND WHAT KIND OF PEACE CAN A CHRISTIAN EXPECT?
- KNOW - personal experience, YOUR house IS where peace abides - Job 5:24
- "Visit habitation" - to count your sheep - sheepfold - when you count - they're there!
- "Not sin" - miss your mark - what you shoot at you will hit; your goals will be realized!
V.26 - "full age" - full development of a person - your life will be complete - need today!
JOB WAS NOT FOOLISH
The oldest book in the Bible can add much to our wisdom - help us that we be not foolish.
JOB SHOWED AN AMAZING FAITH IN GOD AND MORAL STABILITY FOR HIS AGE, AND HE STOOD ALONE!
- He argued - 6:25, 29 - he did not retreat before the onslaught of his friends - we need fight, too.
- In all his hurt - 1:22 - he did not accuse God foolishly - Oh that this might be said of us!
- In the end - God restored all to him - 42:12, and forgave his "friends" when he prayed.
IN OUR LAND TODAY WE SUFFER FROM MANY ADVISORS, AND MANY OF THEM FOOLISH, AND FALSE.
- Recently, a front page article pleaded with us - "stop destroying America with Anti-Civilization."
- Christians are criticizing themselves to death - personal perfection demanded, but not worked at.
- We have many who join Satan in being accusers of the brethren - we need peacemakers- not talkers.
WE NEED A CLEAR UNDERSTANDING OF THE SUBJECT OF PEACE ON EARTH, AND SEEK ATTAINABLE GOALS
- Peace with God is the first peace we need - Rom 5:1 - without this tranquility is death
- Peace of God - is attainable through obedience - Phil 4:7 - no other way! Cf v6,8-
- Peace on earth - promised by men - I Thess 5:3, but given only by the Prince of Peace- Rev 21:4
If you would have peace - cf I Pet 3:11 - seek it, and pursue it - but do so right away!
LET THIS BE YOUR FOURTH OF JULY DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE - FROM SATAN'S FOOLISH TRICKS
- Put your faith in Jesus Christ - as the world is in confusion - be born again! Be saved!
- Put your life in practical obedience to Him and have peace of God win the midst of the world's turmoil.
- Get your eyes deeply into the milk of God's word - studying so you can recognize the Prince of Peace when He comes to take up His Kingdom.