Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
GOD'S WAGE AND PRICE FREEZE
Sep 12, 1971 am
THERE ARE CERTAIN GREAT PROPHETIC THEMES THAT RUN THROUGH MANY SCRIPTURES - THIS IS ONE
- When God's people are disobedient - their crops fail, others eat their profits, war prevails.
- When God's people obey His voice - the loaves are multiplied, they eat of their own vineyard.
- There is no book where this is more evidenced than Joel.
No warnings or promises greater than those surrounding what he says about God's great army - to collect or not?
A WARNING OF GOD'S COLLECTION ARMY
2:1 Blow the trumpet - sound the alarm - tremble - a great invading host is coming upon us!
THE DAY OF THE LORD IS AT HAND - AND IT IS GREAT, TERRIBLE, AND NOT BLESSING - 2:1 JOEL
- When something important is about to happen - God says Bear 1:2, and tell children 1:3 parents
- The darkness - clouds - 2:2 are great plagues of locusts - Sennacherib's army? Or yet - Rev 9:3
- The devastating results - 1:4, 2:3 - even as fire and with noise - v.5 no "Silent Spring" fiction!
THE TERRIBLE JUDGMENT AND ASSAULT UPON THE PEOPLE OF THE EARTH IS EARNED BY THE PEOPLE!
- It is because of the people's sin that God sends His judgment - Hag 1:6 - wages in bag with holes.
- But now there is a direct assault - Joel 2:7-10 by insects storming the city as a mighty army!
- In fact - Joel says God calls these "His Army" - 2:11 & 2:25; I believe God's word - it happened.
SOUND THE TRUMPET AGAIN - FOR THE GREAT ARMY IS INVADING AGAIN - AND THIS TIME IT IS U.S.A.
- Scientists have said man's greatest danger is not man, pollution, ecology - but INSECTS!
- A Hollywood film - regarding ants adapting an immunity to poison, invading a city, terrorizing the world.
- Not fiction - Nematodes - Worm & Gypsy Moth - NJ; NM range worm caterpillar - 9/10/71 paper
If nuclear war killed all but 2 - it would take 2,000 years for man to repopulate; for insects - 30 days
A CALL TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT THAT WORKS!
God's wonderful book has given us instructions about every emergency - and tells us what to do!
GOD CALLS UPON US ALL, FROM THE WORST TO THE BEST, TO WAKE UP, CRY OUT, AND BE CONCERNED
- 1:5 Awake ye drunkards and howl; 1:8 lament; for it hurts; 1:11 be ashamed - no sensitivity training.
- 1:13 priests, ministers - sackcloth, pray all night, howl; 1:14 call for revival meeting and cry.
- Is it not bad enough? 1:16 famine; 17 seed rotting; 18 even beast groan, why not men? Thirsty!
THEREFORE NOW SAITH THE LORD -- TURN TO ME -- REND YOUR HEART --JOEL 2:12,13
- When trouble comes, instead of blaming God, running - turn to Him with all your heart! Seek Him!
- The way to seek Him - Rend your heart - weeping, mourning, fasting - get your heart right and your feet will follow!
- I've found no account of repentance then - but Hezekiah 100 years later; Ezra & Nehemiah 400 years later.
WHY DO WE NOT TRY GOD'S WAY OF SEEKING DELIVERANCE TODAY IN OUR LAND OF AMERICA?
- The priests and ministers v.17 won't weep and cry over sin - but lead riots - or feel glad at judgment.
- The people do not come assemble and pray, they blame the preachers - v.16 won't gather - fight.
- But what would happen if people in America began to obey - II Chron 7:14 - would God do it?
Some church people have tried it! Some Jesus People have tried it! Some here have touched it!
A WONDERFUL PROMISE - GOD SAYS "I WILL" - JOEL 2
All of God's great promises are hanging on the word "Then" - in Joel 2:18 - when we repent! -
THERE ARE GREAT AND WONDERFUL PROMISES GIVEN IN THIS CHAPTER IF WE OPEN OUR HEARTS TO THEM
- 18 - Be Jealous for the land and pity His people
- 19 - Will answer His people and send grain, no more make them a reproach
- 20 - Remove northern army - peace
- 21 - Do great things
- 23 - Cause the latter rain - (A teacher of righteousness)
- 25 - Restore what His army took away - locusts
- 28 - Pour out His spirit in hearts
- 30 - Show wonders in heavens
- 32 - Save whoever calls upon the name of the Lord
Some promises are just for the Kingdom - Joel 3:18, 19 - but many echo throughout Scripture time
CAN WE NOT CLAIM SOME OF THESE PROMISES TODAY? IN JESUS IS GOD'S GRACE PERFECTED TOWARD MAN
- Some as pointed as Mal 3:10, some as general as Joel 2:26,27, to know the Lord, not ashamed
- Some of the wholesomeness and material blessings are natural to His morality - we have tasted
- But the greatest - His Indwelling Spirit - YOU MUST CALL AND BE SAVED - Joel 2:32, Rom 10:13
If God freezes my wages and material things perish - I know that I have eternal life - I AM SAVED!
GOD'S OFFER THROUGH JOEL WAS TO ISRAEL, BUT THE OFFER TODAY IS TO EVERYONE - WHOSOEVER WILL!
- If you have never received Christ - I urge you - come, find forgiveness of sin, be saved!
- If you do not want America judged and punished for her sin - come and obey God's word! Change history!
- Put both into practice - and the angels in heaven rejoice and we have revival!
Some will - and some won't - but only you can claim promise for yourself and your family!