Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
SIR, WE WOULD SEE JESUS
Mar 22, 1970 pm
HERE IS THE MOTTO OF THE WORLD KNOCKING AT THE CHURCH DOOR SEEKING JESUS
- In this we see the division in a sin-cursed world that keeps people from coming to Jesus
- We see the only way that the world can be united - Under God - with the Lord Jesus as King
- We see the wall of partition being broken down by the love of Christ shown on the Cross
There was a reason why the Greeks could not come to Jesus - this is now changed!
THE GREEK WOMAN SOUGHT JESUS - MARK 7:24-30
There is much for us to learn from the way people reacted to Jesus Christ- how do you react?
THE SYROPHOENICIAN WOMAN WOMAN SOUGHT JESUS IN ORDER TO HAVE HER DAUGHTER HEALED
- Jesus did not come at that time to minister to Gentiles- Matt 15:24- but to the lost sheep of Israel
- But it did not stop this woman from seeking the only One who could help her- no quitter!
- Jesus could not be hidden- neither can God be hidden- Mankind builds walls, but God's love shows
JESUS TOLD THE WOMAN TO LET THE CHILDREN FIRST BE FILLED - BUT SHE WOULD NOT CEASE HER CRY
- The woman approached Jesus as the Messiah of Israel - for this was her hope - healing
- Jesus had tried to find rest, quietness- but she would not let Him rest - she had a need
- He repelled her - by saying "not yet" but she would not be stopped - even by an insult!
HER PERSISTENT DEMANDING FAITH BROUGHT THE ANSWER TO HER PRAYER TO HER HOME
- She did not argue with the Lord- Truth Lord- but humbly begged the crumbs from the table!
- Jesus marveled at her faith- and gave her the answer to her prayer - the daughter was healed
- When we have the determination to lay hold on God like this woman - we shall receive blessing
Her humility and her determination brought to her the answer to her prayer! Will it you?
CERTAIN GREEKS SOUGHT JESUS - JOHN 12:20-
These were Greek proselytes who wanted to go all the way with God- to see His Son, Jesus
THE MESSAGE THEY SENT INTO THE TEMPLE WAS "SIR: WE WOULD SEE JESUS" - FOR THIS THEY DESIRED
- The great noise of the triumphal entry told them that something great was happening - but -
- Being Greeks- they could not come any farther than the court of the Gentiles - or - Death!
- There were many God-seekers in that age; Cornelius for example, but they could not approach
THESE SINCERE GOD-SEEKERS HAD TO DEPEND ON OTHERS TO BRING TO THEM A MESSAGE FROM GOD
- Phillip was caught in the Court of the Gentiles - they no doubt recognized him - asked help
- He sought out Andrew, then they two went to Jesus - how unusual the word going this way?
- What a wonderful request to carry to Jesus- yet there are people in Phoenix, how to ask?
JESUS DID NOT RECEIVE THEM, NOR GIVE THEM A DIRECT ANSWER, FOR HIS HOUR HAD NOT YET COME V.23
- This is strange, that like the Syrophoenician woman, Jesus did not give a direct answer!
- But His answer promised that soon - all men would be able to come to the throne of God.
- The Gentiles should not seek the kingdom of David- but the World-Saviour promised Abraham
There are always problems to prevent people from coming to Jesus- but do not be stopped.
GOD MADE A CHANGE IN HIS PROGRAM - CHURCH! JOHN 12
The time arrived when the Lord would not see Jew or Gentile, but the Church, redeemed!
"THE HOUR COMETH, THAT THE SON OF MAN SHOULD BE GLORIFIED." JOHN 12:23
- Here is prophetic certitude- and another hour is coming right soon- that will complete this
- Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die! -but what man can want to die?
- He that loveth his life- but what man does not? To serve Jesus- we must follow Him! Do you?
JESUS TREMBLED AT THE PROSPECT OF DEATH, BUT HE DID NOT FALTER FROM THE RESPONSIBILITY - V.27
- His soul was troubled - but He did not cry out to be saved from the ordeal-
- He knew that it was for this cause that He came to earth- to be Saviour of the world-
- His heart reached out to the Greeks- Romans- English- and even to you - He would not stop
THE ONLY WAY JESUS COULD OPEN THE DOOR OF SALVATION TO ALL MEN WAS TO BE LIFTED UP - V.32
- Jesus prayed v.23- Father glorify Thy name- and God answered Him - the people were shocked!
- But the people did not understand- did the Apostle John? To hear God- be close to Jesus
- When Jesus was lifted up He defeated Satan, and drew all men unto Himself- So He went to the cross
Have you questioned as the people did then? Or have you accepted Jesus?
WILL YOU SPREAD THE WORD TO JEW AND GENTILE - THERE IS NO DIVISION NOW - COME TO JESUS
- Eph 3:6- the Church, no division, Gal 3:28- no male or female - all one in Jesus
- If you would see Jesus- there is no division today, nothing to hold you back - come
- If you would bring others to Jesus- there is nothing to hold you back now-
- Let this week be a time of inviting others to come to Jesus!