Archive of Pastor Darby's Sermon Notes, transcribed from his original typewritten documents
LET'S GO FISHING
Apr 12, 1970 pm
THE LAST CHAPTER IN THE GOSPEL OF JOHN SHOWS US WHAT THE LORD EXPECTS OF ALL MEN
- History makes a sparkling gem in its peculiar setting of these last words of this Gospel
- It has a personal application that covers every man, and a message that cannot be forgotten
- If you do not go fishing with the Lord Jesus, you will go fishing all alone- and fail
With the summer excursion season coming up, I expect this sermon is needed
SIMON PETER SAID "LET'S GO FISHING" - JOHN 21:3
This passage more than any other shows that the disciples could not be trusted alone
THE PROPOSAL OF JESUS TO SIMON PETER WAS THAT HE SHOULD BECOME A FISHERMAN OF MEN - MATT 4:19
- As Peter was plying his trade - recreation for some, but hard work for the fishermen -
- Jesus came by. What did Jesus see in Peter and Andrew that attracted him? Cf John 1:40
- Jesus intended for these men to fish for men, open the door to eternal life for the world
THE PROPOSAL OF SIMON PETER WAS A REVERSAL OF THE CALL OF THE LORD - JOHN 21:3
- The Greek verb tense has a way of showing - I am going back to fishing - a return to former life
- The three years with Jesus were exciting, but the Lord had trusted His work to mere men
- Peter was ready to throw away all that the Lord had done, and go back to being a mere fisherman
THE PROPOSAL OF THE OTHER APOSTLES - WE ALSO GO WITH THEE - JOHN 21:3
- The despair and loneliness of being without the physical presence of their leader was felt
- The first time some joker wanted to run, they were hot on their heels - going the wrong direction
- The whole bunch was out on the sea. The Lord they deserted controlled the fish and waves.
They caught nothing, and if I were the Lord, I would have made them all sea-sick, too!
JOHN THE BELOVED SAID, "IT IS THE LORD!" - JOHN 21:7
Thank God for someone who can see, and who is not afraid to shout out his opinion!
IT WAS JOHN, THE BELOVED, THE ONE WITH THE SPIRITUAL DISCERNMENT, THE EAGLE EYE SAW JESUS
- He refers to himself as the disciple whom Jesus loved- and love has a way of recognition
- The early morning fog over the sea of Galilee could not stop the piercing gaze of love
- After v. 5,6. why did they all not know that it was the Lord? It was obvious, but they sulked
PETER DOVE INTO THE SEA AND SWAM TO THE SHORE? SO BEGAN TO BRING HIMSELF TO THE LORD
- What he lacked in insight and wisdom, he made up for in lion-like boldness - direct action
- He had a reckless enthusiasm, nothing could hold him back. He took action that inspired others
- But the selfish wretch deserted his comrades, left his post of duty, was not helpful at all
THE OTHER DISCIPLES WERE THE ONES TO ROW THE BOAT TO SHORE, AND TO DO THE WORK
- No matter how spiritual or idealistic you might be, someone has to do the WORK - Glorious task
- No matter how much the eagle sees or the lion attacks - someone has to do the work - Know it!
- Their practical ability, sincerity, nobility in getting a job done- thank God for workmen
It takes all kinds of men to do what the Lord wants done- let Him use you!
JESUS THE LORD SAID "COME AND DINE" JOHN 21:12
The Lord is very practical indeed- His love is not just a mystical dream, but is real
FIRST THE LORD TOLD THEM TO CAST THEIR NET ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE SHIP - V.6
- In spite of the apparent desertion from the post of duty, the Lord was concerned for them
- If they would go fishing, He still had a will for them - success if they obeyed Him
- When they followed the directions of the Lord, they caught a net full of fish - 153 in fact
JESUS SAID TO THEM "COME AND DINE" AND NONE OF THE DISCIPLES DARED ASK ANY QUESTIONS
- I am continuously amazed at the graciousness of the Lord, and He is so often preached as being hard
- Romans 8:28 still applies- no matter where He finds us, listen to Him and be blessed
- If you will come and dine, He will empower you for what He wants you to do
WHICH WAY WILL YOU GO FISHING? WILL YOU FIT INTO A TEAM TO DO YOUR PART IN SOULWINNING?
- We face the greatest opportunity in the history of our church, but it takes shifting methods
- There are people who are so needy, but who will do the work? I'm getting old and tired
- But if each one of us will do the "fishing" God calls for us to do, He will be pleased
No matter what plans, schemes, etc. - it takes all kinds to win souls - will you?
WHETHER OR NOT YOU WIN SOULS FOR THE LORD DEPENDS ON YOUR ANSWER TO "LOVEST THOU ME?" V.15
- If you have never received Christ as your saviour- do so now, or be a poor fish
- If you know Christ, He has called you to witness - fish for men with your own personality
- There are as many ways to be soulwinners as there are to fish; use your imaginations.
But we must get each one doing their own work in soulwinning, and the Lord will bless.